Pesos?

Eschie

Getting ready to board the Sapphire Princess in a little over 2 weeks!!! This is our 1st trip to Mexico. Will we need Pesos for the restaurants and shops in Cabo, Puerto Vallarta or Ensenada?

Most shops and restaurants (but not all) will accept US$, but often against a bad exchange rate. Pesos at the moment is around 12 to 1 US$, but often shops etc. will change against 10 Pesos to 1 US$.

So if you expect to spend some money, use an ATM.

In Puerto Vallarta, IIRC there is a money exchange place in the round building at the port. There is also a money exchange near the beginning of the Malecon. Last year, we needed to show our passport to change American $$ to pesos at this place. Don't know if a passport is needed now at all of the money exchange places.

If you go to any of the restaurants in the tourist areas of the 3 cities, you will have no problem using American $$.

For such a short period of time, it's not necessary to exchange money as everyone in the tourist areas takes American dollars. Unless you are planning to make a big purchase, I wouldn't bother exchanging money.

I agree with Ine! I have been going to Mexico for the last 30 years and for the most part things will be cheaper to pay in peso's. The exchange booths are not as cheap,nor do they give the exchange rate that ATM'S give! If your not planning on returning much or not planning on spending much, I've never had a problem with using US$.

42 Cruises and Counting!:)

1702213647_Vacation9-22-12Oasis088.jpg.b9756bf58f243c3d1d6fab59343d1e6a.jpg

We travel to Cabo twice a year, and normally spend 10 days at a time there, so we do exchange our US$ into Pesos, but we have found that US$ are accepted nearly everywhere. For a day, or two, I would not even bother buying Pesos. Make certain that you have US$ in small bills (One's, five's ten's). It is awkward to bargain down a $20 item to $10, and then try to pay for it with a fifty!

Also, keep in mind that if you use your CC at an ATM, you will have to pay a cash advance fee, as well as a foreign exchange fee. Even using a Debit Card will normally subject you to the foreign exchange fee...and never use a stand alone ATM. They may charge you as much as $50US per transaction!! Always buy at a bank or Cambio.

If you expect to spend $1000 or more, then yes, it may be to your advantage to buy Pesos, but even then, (IMHO) the advantage may not be that great.

We have found that many shops will offer either the daily rate or close to it, and in some cases even better!

As for the constant canard that one will only receive 10-1 when the exchange rate is 12-1....We have only found that one time. And that was in Yelapa, where there is no road and no banks. They have to take a boat to PV to exchange.

Short version: Carry US$ in small denominations. You'll be fine.

Archived