Yes Friends, I AM cruising on Carnival

Swampbaby

booking on Carnival in September for a getaway to Mexico before school starts. Not at all worried or scared. I'll be joining the whale tale gang for my second cruise and first on Carnival. I am incredibly excited for a new cruising experience to new places, on another ship/line, and excited to meet some new fellow cruisers as well. After all, that's what cruising is about right!? Cannot wait to see some of my fellow CC'ers onboard.

My mom says "oh you're a brave soul for trying Carnival". I said "really mom. you do realize that you're alot safer on a cruise ship than in the car driving to the grocery store."

none the less, I can hardly wait! Chocolate melting cake here I come!!!

And yes, thank you to those whom have kindly lowered the rates so that DBF and I can take the vacation we would love to take. And everyone else for that matter.

What's up Fun Ship Friends!?

Get it all the time. Funniest comes from my brother-in-law, he always looks down on Carnival. Even thou 3 years ago him and wife were two days late getting back from a cruise on RCCL, due to engine problems. But like most naysayers he says it is only Carnival who is breaking down now.

I'm not loyal to any particular line, I look at itinerary, age of ship, etc. I just LOVE to cruise and have found most mainline cruiselines very similar. No ship has the same personality even when they are the same cruiseline, same class of ship. Staff, itinerary, passengers, time of year along with a whole host of other things impact the "feel". I've never had an awful cruise even when met with weather, changes of itinerary or delays. Carnival was my first, I'm always happy to board one of their ships and have no worries (above what I normally feel) regarding safety.

I just invited 30 friends and family on our back to back on Conquest in September...I'm sure I'll get some interesting replies and will be well entertained this weekend. :D

DH has been getting grief from his co-workers too. We always go away after his May Board meeting and they asked where we were going this year. He told them the Carnival Freedom to St. Thomas, Antigua, Tortola and Nassau and the comments were ridiculous. And all from people who have never cruised on anything.

We were in the midst of our planning and the 8 night cruise on the Freedom in a suite was $3000 cheaper than the 6 night land based vacation we were looking at. So, we had enough left in the budget to book a second cruise that day. We're joining our son and his family on the Magic in August. We are also booked on the Navigator in Dec and the Caribbean Princess in January 2014.

Just like the best time to fly is after a plane crash, the best time to cruise is after a problem with a cruise ship. You better believe they will try to make it go off without a hitch and if there is a problem they will take care of the passengers. Oh how we wish we had been on the Dream and stuck in St. Maarten for a few extra days. We wouldn't mind it a bit if get stuck in Antigua or Tortola!

We'll be booking our first family CCL cruise for the fall. I was prompted to look into booking during the Triumph issue, mainly from reading the boards here, then looking over menus, trip reports (a big thank you to Sargent_Schultz for those-- my son is obsessed with them!). Price doesn't hurt either.

We mentioned it to a few people and they're more shocked we're either not going to Disney or off to some National Park. It's sort of, "Wow, you're going on a real cruise line? No mice? No hiking in the woods?" Of course haven't told the in-laws and family-- who hate Carnival for being "too low class" but hey, I've already admitted I dragged husband down when I married him. :D

Can't believe the number of friends who feel I'm crazy to cruise on a Carnival ship. At a monthly dinner of a group of us not one person agreed they would sail Carnival. Well folks, get over it. I'm going, will enjoy it, and will come back with stories of the places I've been and things I've done.

Sailing in nine days on the Carnival Freedom, looking forward to peace and quiet when I want it, activity when I want it, ability to watch the waves, make a decision to take a nap whenever, meet new people and visit new places.

We are sailing on Freedom a week after you. We get the same type of questions from co-workers and family members, we just look at them and smile, knowing we are going to have a great trip.

I'd like to thank the idiots, morons and all those who believe that Carnival ships are nothing but bad news. It means reduced bookings for them which carnival have responded to by lowering their prices.

I have now booked a balcony cruise for the family in June at a price which is in our summer vacation budget whereas previously it was out of our reach.

I don;t think they realise that tens of thousands of people get off a carnival cruise ship every week and have had a great time.

thank you! thank you! thank you.

I'm off to buy some crazy colored shirts that will match the drinks I'll be having on board and on vacation hotspots this summer :D

Me, I would not call a person silly names because of choosing a different line, a bad experience will influence anyone :rolleyes:

....a group of us not one person agreed they would sail Carnival.

Ha! I have friends like that too. I thought of them many times while we were on our Spring Break cruise last month while most of them where in Orlando at the parks. We were on the Breeze and yes there may have been a 5 min wait for a Guy's Burger...but it's better than a 90 min wait in the cold (that weekend) for a 40 second ride. :-)

Enjoy your cruise!

I leave in two weeks on the Conquest for my honeymoon and I couldn't be more excited. Everywhere I go, I get the typical "Oh, you're getting married? Congrats! Where are you going on your honeymoon?" Then when I tell them we're taking a cruise comes the obligatory "Oh, not Carnival I hope!" to which I just reply, "Yes, Carnival, and no, I'm not concerned."

None of it bothers me. A cruise is a cruise, and it beats being stuck at work or paying three times as much for a more stressful land-based honeymoon. I'd rather just get on the ship and not have to worry about anything. :)

Me, I would not call a person silly names because of choosing a different line, a bad experience will influence anyone :rolleyes:

good for you.

I'm sure a bad experience would influence anyone.

however most people are being influenced by the stories and what little they are fed by the media (see above for reference). In fact not one person has mentioned anyone who was on any carnival ship that had any issues.

Can't believe the number of friends who feel I'm crazy to cruise on a Carnival ship. At a monthly dinner of a group of us not one person agreed they would sail Carnival. Well folks, get over it. I'm going, will enjoy it, and will come back with stories of the places I've been and things I've done.

Sailing in nine days on the Carnival Freedom, looking forward to peace and quiet when I want it, activity when I want it, ability to watch the waves, make a decision to take a nap whenever, meet new people and visit new places.

I think that you'll be sailing today. Have a magnificent time and do post your review. I just love the photo reviews here!:D

Enjoy;)

I agree 100%. If I could go on a Carnival cruise today I would go! Can hardly wait for Thanksgiving week on the Freedom.

I leave in two weeks on the Conquest for my honeymoon and I couldn't be more excited. Everywhere I go, I get the typical "Oh, you're getting married? Congrats! Where are you going on your honeymoon?" Then when I tell them we're taking a cruise comes the obligatory "Oh, not Carnival I hope!" to which I just reply, "Yes, Carnival, and no, I'm not concerned."

None of it bothers me. A cruise is a cruise, and it beats being stuck at work or paying three times as much for a more stressful land-based honeymoon. I'd rather just get on the ship and not have to worry about anything. :)

Have a great time on the Conquest. I'll be sailing on the Conquest in December:(. So farrrrr!!!

Do post your review please! I'll be eager to read your review.

And congratulations on your wedding. Wish you all the best.:D

What do you expect? Carnival is not taking care of its fleet, its ships unsafe, thus news coverage, thus negative opinions. ;)

I wonder how many naysayers there are when an automobile company, like Toyota, has a lot of mechanical problems and issues a massive recall? Or when a food company issues a recall because of salmonella? Currently, Carnival is the company with a target on it's back. Next month, it'll be somebody else.

The funny thing is the media was all over the Triumph when it broke lose. As soon as they found out it was due to 70 MPH winds you didn't hear anything about it anymore.

The media will attack the easiest route of travel and CCL happened to be just that after the original Triumph issue.

It's a little hard to attack mother nature.

Archived