Packing cubes heys or ebags?

The folder/envelope thing (yes I thought of Sheldon too) just be forewarned. It's pretty big, sizewise, so you can't use it in a carry-on. The ends kind of get folded up so the shirts get wrinkled anyway. It's no big deal if you're using it in a bigger suitcase.

I will add I don't know if all the brands are the same size but check the dimensions.

While I prefer to use an Eagle Creek 15 inch folders in my 20 inch carry on my Eagle Creek 18 inch folder still fits as well. The 18 inch consumes the entire surface area lengthwise. I don't have a 20 inch folder but it likely won't fit in my carry on. My 18 inch folder doesn't fit in the lid of a 20 inch carry on but it does fit in my 22 inch carry on lid. I also have Eagle Creek luggage and their luggage was designed for their folders and cubes especially in the lid design.

I have collected a variety of folders and cubes over the years from different manufactures and not all of them are exactly the same sizes. Some are a little fatter, wider, or longer than the others. Usually it is no big deal but you may find that some brands may fit better than others in your suitcase.

For those just starting out I would suggest you start small and build upon your success.

Shak

I also used the 30% coupon code to get some cubes. I have been thinking about them for a while. My credit card company had a deal where I get 20% back on an Ebags order, plus the 30% coupon code and then 6% back on my next Ebates check. $58 total for 4 sets of the 3 cube variety pack. Love them ! If you have an ebates account make sure you go thru the site to shop at ebags. If you dont have an account you might want to get one =) I get a deposit into my paypal account ( used to get a check) 4 times per year with rebates from my usual online shopping.

We ordered last week and then the prices went down even more.

Wasn't much over two orders $5.65 credit- but was better in my pocket!

We will get our ebags this weekend - very excited. Split the cost with DD who is going to Italy for 16 days. We have a all inclusive after that in June and cruise next year - so they will be well loved!

For those who use the cubes and/or folders...

Do you use them for formal wear? I can't quite picture folding a long dress (not a ball gown) into a cube/folder. Also, I have two beaded tops that I question going into one of these. Normally, I put sparkly/beaded tops in a plastic bag when I pack so they won't have issues with anything else in the suitcase.

Do you use them for formal wear? I can't quite picture folding a long dress (not a ball gown) into a cube/folder. Also, I have two beaded tops that I question going into one of these. Normally, I put sparkly/beaded tops in a plastic bag when I pack so they won't have issues with anything else in the suitcase.

I use the garment sleeve that came with my luggage for my suit.

Shak

I'm not familiar with the Ebags or the Heys brands as we sell Eagle Creek at the luggage store. I did have an older brand, I think I got them from Target a million years ago, I don't know why I've kept them, I should toss them into the Goodwill bag so another person can use them.

Just a bit of a warning, though, you don't need a suitcase full of folders and cubes. They do take up space and add weight to your suitcase. A couple organizers, such as a cube for electric cords, or a toiletry kit, or a folder with what you need for the first night in the hotel is plenty. I can pack more efficiently without the cubes and folders by just laying my folded clothes into the case with accessories/shoes on the perimeter. Use the cinch straps to hold everything in place once you are done packing.

The folders should come in different sizes. I know Eagle Creek has 15, 18 and 22 inch folders, the smaller of the two should fit in roll aboard bags.

I'm not familiar with the Ebags or the Heys brands as we sell Eagle Creek at the luggage store. I did have an older brand, I think I got them from Target a million years ago, I don't know why I've kept them, I should toss them into the Goodwill bag so another person can use them.

Just a bit of a warning, though, you don't need a suitcase full of folders and cubes. They do take up space and add weight to your suitcase. A couple organizers, such as a cube for electric cords, or a toiletry kit, or a folder with what you need for the first night in the hotel is plenty. I can pack more efficiently without the cubes and folders by just laying my folded clothes into the case with accessories/shoes on the perimeter. Use the cinch straps to hold everything in place once you are done packing.

The folders should come in different sizes. I know Eagle Creek has 15, 18 and 22 inch folders, the smaller of the two should fit in roll aboard bags.

Heys packing cubes weigh next to nothing. I'd be willing to get they add nothing to the weight of a suitcase.

Heys packing cubes weigh next to nothing. I'd be willing to get they add nothing to the weight of a suitcase.

Same with Eagle Creek, but I'd bet they weigh in at at least 8-10 oz. each. If a person uses several, they could instead use that weight for another top or pair of pants, or even shoes.

For a 7 day stay or any stay for that matter that you are going to only one location - perhaps you would not benefit from them.

But for a tour where you are changing hotels every 2 - 3 days I would be they would be worth their weight in gold. 1. keeps everything organized. 2. less chance of something getting left behind. 3. you don't have to wash every hotel drawer to put your clothes in them. 4. as the clothes are not rubbing against each other as much due to rolling and separete cubes, you should have much less wrinkling.

Just my opinion and the reasons we just purchased them.

We purchased 2 sets of the 3pce packing cubes, 1 3pce of the slim ones and one eagle creek 18" folder. Total weight for all (if you can fit it all in the luggage when full) 2.5 lbs.

3pce cube = 12oz total x 2 = 24oz

slim cube 3pc - 8 oz

spectre packing folder = 8 oz

For all that 2.5 lbs is amazing IMO:D

I received a packing folder and cube for Christmas last year and just used them last night for the first time. Got a total of 10 shirts in one folder. Super tidy and things will stay crisp.

I have tried to use folders in small rollaboards without much luck because they take up too much space, but DH - who travels 80% of his workweek - uses them religiously. He puts a couple of dress shirts and 2 pairs of pants in a folder. Then he puts his running clothes, running flats, underoos and socks in a cube - and they all fit in his laptop case. Easy way to pack!

Same with Eagle Creek, but I'd bet they weigh in at at least 8-10 oz. each. If a person uses several, they could instead use that weight for another top or pair of pants, or even shoes.

The heys set that they now sell is 13oz for all three pieces and I think my old set is lighter than that..they're full and packed right now otherwise I'd weigh them :)

I don't do formalwear but dh has put suit/slacks/shirt in them & like someone else said they come out great.

Maybe you could do a trial run with your outfits and see how they come out

I just purchased two Ebags three piece sets and slim sets for my sister and I for our upcoming Alaska Cruisetour. I think they will come in handy when we're changing hotels each night. I made sure my sister and I have different colors. My sister pushed me to get the zebra (that's what sister's are for:) along with a pretty blue. She got pink and orange. We were able to use a 30% off coupon along with the sale price :)

For most trips I share a suitcase with one or both of my kids. I cannot stand sifting through the suitcase to find articles for more than one person's outfit and the mess that is left after shuffling through it all multiple times. Not to mention that my kids are four and six so their clothes are pretty small and can get "lost" even in the smallest size carryon. I have used ebags packing cubes only three or four times now, but whatever minimal weight may be added is well worth it.

I received my Heys 3 piece set the other day - started loading up the smallest one... so far in it I have 11 pairs of underwear, 5 pairs of socks, 2 bras, camisole and still have room to spare.

Packing for a 16 day vacation is quite the task when you don't have access to laundry (except to pay $$$ for on board). I figure by the 1st week of May I will be wearing my most uncomfortable should have been thrown out months ago under-things lol

For most trips I share a suitcase with one or both of my kids. I cannot stand sifting through the suitcase to find articles for more than one person's outfit and the mess that is left after shuffling through it all multiple times. Not to mention that my kids are four and six so their clothes are pretty small and can get "lost" even in the smallest size carryon. I have used ebags packing cubes only three or four times now, but whatever minimal weight may be added is well worth it.

Yep this is us. A lot of our trips are up to my mom's for a long weekend, so we only take 2 bags with us, but when we get there I can give everyone their packing cubes so they can keep their stuff in their room.

Btw - my dh just asked me what he could use for a bunch of cords & misc stuff he needs to take with him next week on a business trip. I gave him a small cube. I still haven't completely converted him :)

I just received my Ebags in the mail (a 3 piece set and a set of slims). I'm not sure if I have enough or the right sizes? I feel like I have plenty of cubes to put small things- undergarments, socks, tanks, pajamas, etc. in, but I'm not sure if I have what I need for larger garments- jeans, long sleeve shirts, fleece, etc. I do roll items when I pack, so know how to pack the Ebags.

I am packing for a 12 day Alaska Cruisetour. I'll be taking an average size suitcase and a carry on suitcase. I am not a light packer:) I'd appreciate input from someone who has packed with Ebags before. Do I need another set of medium? Large? Can I make do with what I have and save money?

I just received my Ebags in the mail (a 3 piece set and a set of slims). I'm not sure if I have enough or the right sizes? I feel like I have plenty of cubes to put small things- undergarments, socks, tanks, pajamas, etc. in, but I'm not sure if I have what I need for larger garments- jeans, long sleeve shirts, fleece, etc. I do roll items when I pack, so know how to pack the Ebags.

I am packing for a 12 day Alaska Cruisetour. I'll be taking an average size suitcase and a carry on suitcase. I am not a light packer:) I'd appreciate input from someone who has packed with Ebags before. Do I need another set of medium? Large? Can I make do with what I have and save money?

We did Alaska on the Radiance and just had the slims for undies, socks, and bras. However, we did save room by leaving our fleece jackets at home. We just took our shell waterproof coats. Fleece jackets are everywhere up there. They were priced 29-39 dollars each. We ended up getting some nice ones that said Alaska on them. Also we only packed a couple pairs of jeans and sent them down to the laundry once during the week. Have fun!! I might add we were not on a cruise tour, just the cruise plus a couple days so maybe 10 days altogether.

Two sets of the 3 packing cubes. The denim is not as dark as we thought - very nice as is the aquamarine! Also bought a 3 pack of slims in grasshopper and one spectre 18" packing folder.

DD brought her upright out of storage right away to see how they all fit. She even dumped out a drawer of t-shirts and shorts to do a faux packing. Held quite a bit. Also showed her where she could put the packing folder.

While they are not as deep as I thought - they certainly hold alot. She was able to get everything into the one 29" upright and will still have room for shoes!

She is very happy - and I will get to use them also - so good for me:p

I would do a test pack to see what you fit.

The slims are good for socks/bras/undies/pjs/thermals

The large will be good for jeans/fleece/sweatshirts

You can fit a bunch of tops and/or long sleeve shirts in the medium. Even slacks or skirts rolled would work too.

Also see how they fit in your suitcase. The 3 pack fits nicely together in a case. Personally I like using the mediums, so I have an extra pack of those. (Ok who am I kidding, I have 2 sets of SML, 1 set of slims & the set of mediums & am planning on getting another set of SML for our trip this summer)

For that fleece and sweaters - try an Eagle Creek compression bag! it's like a "space bag", but you don't need the vacuum cleaner to suck the air out. It has a one-way valve so you roll the air out. I've used one when I travel in the winter and need to take my fleece with me.

I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner, Eagle Creek has a new line, Specter, that is practically weightless. The fabric reminds me of parachute nylon. I may try a few pieces on a trip I have planned where I will have carry on only luggage, pretty much a small duffel with no structure.

Archived