Your favorite Food on HAL.

josephml1

I hope they have something like this when we get on the ship in 34 days!!! Excuse me while I go wipe the drool off my chin....

I've already promised on our Roll Call to try and work my wiles with the Chef and Hotel Manager:)

Joanie

Pinnacle Grill- Mushroom Ravioli and Creme Brulee

MDR Dinner- Duck and the chicken parmesan type thingie I'll have to get the actual title from Husband

MDR Dinner Desert- Last dinner, Kiwi something (gosh I can't remember anything)

Lido- Tuna Sandwiches and Indonesian soup with some kind of chicken in it (I don't remember the name because I was land sick and husband went and got it for me)

Not much help huh lol

Pinnacle Grill- Mushroom Ravioli and Creme Brulee

MDR Dinner- Duck and the chicken parmesan type thingie I'll have to get the actual title from Husband

MDR Dinner Desert- Last dinner, Kiwi something (gosh I can't remember anything)

Lido- Tuna Sandwiches and Indonesian soup with some kind of chicken in it (I don't remember the name because I was land sick and husband went and got it for me)

Not much help huh lol

You are probably remembering Soto Ayam. Can be very yummy, but we've found it inconsistent from ship to ship.

Also, just curious when anyone last had the Cappuccino Bombe. The last couple of cruises it's been missing in action. When we asked, we were told it was not available any more. Too bad, as IMHO it was the only decent desert, but then, I don't eat much desert anywhere, anytime. :eek:

As for SNAILS, bring 'em on anytime!!

DH said his meal in the Pinnacle Grill on Le Cirque night was one of the best he's ever had. I thought it was worth the extra $39, but not as extraordinary as he thought. He's already planning on doing it again on our next cruise.

My dad and his family came from the Netherlands on the New Amesterdam in 1927 and settled in Michigan. Grandpa had a bakery in the Netherlands. When they came to America he baked in his home and my dad and his brothers peddaled their bikes and sold the baked goods. He made delicious banket and more wonderful treats. On several HAL cruises we have gone on in Nov./Dec. we have asked to have a banket ring made for us. It was beautifully presented on a paper doily covered plate and was decorated with candied cherries. We sure enjoyed it.

I think the chocolate purse is off the menu now? I looked for it on Westerdam but didn't see it unless it slipped by me. :o

It was very enjoyable. Haven't seen it in a while. It certainly wasn't offered in February.

Various lamb dishes. Almost everything at Tamarind (especially duck). The curries that pop up now and then in the Lido. My husband and I both love curries and spicy, spicy food! The desserts can be disappointing, I remember having a lovely slice of a layered cream cake, the texture was great, but not much flavor. The last time I had prime rib in the MDR (on Eurodam) it wasn't very good, but it has been fairly good other times (I admit I set a high bar for prime rib, my favorites are House of Prime Rib in San Francisco, and Hap's in Pleasanton, CA). I like the convenience of all that sliced fruit at breakfast, I eat a big plate of fruit—and a side of bacon—every morning on the ship.

Best thing is that it is hot and made right there...

The pasta is pre-cooked and kept warm.....they sauteed the garlic adding the alfredo sauce...then added the pasta....

And now true confession........I had it 3 times.....:)

Edited by Rowsby

Best thing is that it is hot and made right there...

The pasta is pre-cooked and kept warm.....they sauteed the garlic adding the alfredo sauce...then added the pasta....

And now true confession........I had it 3 times.....:)

Three different days.....not all at once.....!!

Holland America Line Afternoon tea review by cruise critic.

The Setting: Holland America actually offers three different tea events, each occurring once during 7- to 10-night sailings: Royal Dutch Tea, Indonesian Tea and the whimsical Cupcake Tea. You'll head to the dining room for each event.

The Spread: Royal Dutch Tea is, perhaps, what you'd picture when thinking about traditional afternoon tea. Tea sandwiches, pastries and desserts are featured buffet-style, and tea is served at your table once you've prepared your plate of goodies.

Be sure to also set your sights on Indonesian Tea. There, the staff don traditional batik Indonesian outfits, and the recorded background music -- played by an angklung, a traditional instrument of the region -- sets the exotic mood. Teas on offer include Indonesian green, black and jasmine tea. If you prefer coffee, you may choose between sumatra and celebes. An assortment of sweets, from banana and mango fritters to sweet coconut rice balls and chocolate rice sponge cake, are served.

Finally, you must check out HAL's Cupcake Tea, which features a variety of teas and 10 -- count 'em, 10! -- different types of cupcakes, including chocolate, vanilla and even bread pudding. Find your inner child with a sip of milk, either plain or flavored with chocolate or strawberry. Tea and coffee is served tableside.

Child Friendly? Children are welcome to all events, but they would especially enjoy the Cupcake Tea.

Free or Fee? All tea experiences are complimentary

The Setting: Holland America actually offers three different tea events, each occurring once during 7- to 10-night sailings: Royal Dutch Tea, Indonesian Tea and the whimsical Cupcake Tea. You'll head to the dining room for each event.

The Spread: Royal Dutch Tea is, perhaps, what you'd picture when thinking about traditional afternoon tea. Tea sandwiches, pastries and desserts are featured buffet-style, and tea is served at your table once you've prepared your plate of goodies.

Be sure to also set your sights on Indonesian Tea. There, the staff don traditional batik Indonesian outfits, and the recorded background music -- played by an angklung, a traditional instrument of the region -- sets the exotic mood. Teas on offer include Indonesian green, black and jasmine tea. If you prefer coffee, you may choose between sumatra and celebes. An assortment of sweets, from banana and mango fritters to sweet coconut rice balls and chocolate rice sponge cake, are served.

Finally, you must check out HAL's Cupcake Tea, which features a variety of teas and 10 -- count 'em, 10! -- different types of cupcakes, including chocolate, vanilla and even bread pudding. Find your inner child with a sip of milk, either plain or flavored with chocolate or strawberry. Tea and coffee is served tableside.

Child Friendly? Children are welcome to all events, but they would especially enjoy the Cupcake Tea.

Thank you for sharing this! They all sound like a lot of fun!

people are raving about the escargots. I know that it is not served every night. Some lines allow you to order something like that even if it is not on the menu. Do you think I will be able to ask in advance (obviously not for the first night) if I can have escargots served to me every night?

We did the cupcake tea on the Volendam last year on our Alaska trip, and in true HAL form, the cupcakes left a lot to be desired. They were different colours but all tasted the same - of HAL sponge. ;) We still had a nice time and found that it drew out the other few people on the ship that were our age (early 30s).

My dad and his family came from the Netherlands on the New Amesterdam in 1927 and settled in Michigan. Grandpa had a bakery in the Netherlands. When they came to America he baked in his home and my dad and his brothers peddaled their bikes and sold the baked goods. He made delicious banket and more wonderful treats. On several HAL cruises we have gone on in Nov./Dec. we have asked to have a banket ring made for us. It was beautifully presented on a paper doily covered plate and was decorated with candied cherries. We sure enjoyed it.

Did you know you can very easily make this yourself? Yep, right there in sunny Florida. If you want, I can give you the recipy or some url's in english. I'm Dutch and bake a lot myself when possible and any of the traditional stuff basically is very easy to do. Just takes quite some wait time (at least 24 hours) to absord flavours best if you want to work with speculaas of speculaas filled with spijs*. Latter is basically a normal bit more "poshier" cookie we eat year round, where banket is more for the holidays like sinterklaas (allthough also very speculaas-y) and christmas. Only difference between the two 2 is the banket dough has other spices in it than in speculaas dough.

You'll have a hard time finding the speculaas spices in a non Dutch store, but you can easily make your own by blending spices you can buy at any US grocery store as it is nothing other than a blend anyway. Such easy recipies and basically very difficult to mess up. When baking with kids also very good option as it is very forgiving dough. Same for the "spijs"; very easy to make. Nothing more but almonds crushed into dust mixed with sugar. Tip; if you love banket because of the spijs, you might find your apple pie to become a new loved one if you add a layer of spijs onto the bottom layer of dough before adding your filling on top of the spijs.

And the candied cherry, ah yes. That is a must on a banketbar or ring. Hardly anybody seems to actually eat them, but that's how you recognize a good one. The one and only traditional way, so to say.

* spijs is the Dutch word for that almond paste filling.