Your favorite Food on HAL.

josephml1

Hi Joseph!

Aw! Missed by a margin! We're going on May 1st (:

Maybe I'll see you when I'm disembarking haha ^^

:) LOL

please come back and share your review and advice about the cruise.;):)

Enjoy!!! all the good food

Edited by josephml1

On our Alaska cruise on the Zaandam we had filet mignon and lobster in the MDR one night that was to die for. No kidding. Best I have ever had on a cruise ship, or anywhere for that matter. Maybe it was a fluke but we remember it as being really good.........

I wished I could have had the filet mignon and lobster but I was punished because I chose not to dress formal? My brother husband and I were told we could have that dinner in our cabin. I think this should have been served in the Lido.

I wished I could have had the filet mignon and lobster but I was punished because I chose not to dress formal? My brother husband and I were told we could have that dinner in our cabin. I think this should have been served in the Lido.

The larger ships -- Vista and Signature class -- are not able to handle lobster in the Lido buffet. The lobster would become cold and gummy sitting in pans.

I was on Eurodam 2 years ago and these were my favorite foods:

-gorgonzola-cream pasta on lunch menu in MDR (first meal on ship)- to die for

-Anything with beef in the MDR- coverted me to "beef lover" (usually just a "beef liker")- most were fork tender

- eggs benedict at breakfast buffet- loved the varieties, especially the one with the mushrooms :)

- cold fruit soups for dinner in MDR...especially the sour cherry

- my favorite dessert for dinner in MDR- pina colada crème brulee- didn't order it as I don't like pina coladas too much....I tried my Mom's and oh my god so good I practically ate it all...thank goodness they brought us both another =D The lemon crème cake was my second fav- tart and sooo moist

- Just my opinion about tea time: many tea flavor choices (good), but the desserts for me were like the "chocolate buffet" they had... just ok (reminded me of buffet desserts- all tasting a little the same)...but Carnival tea time desserts were luscious and scones with real clotted cream...not just whipped cream... so I may have been biased....but great event regardless, loved the violin players and white gloves staff wore :)

In No particular order -

Escargot

Bread Pudding (I go to the Lido as soon as I get on board just to get a taste)

Raisin Cinnamon buns for breakfast

Chocolate Chip Cookies

(and on our last cruise - Really good Empanadas. I am not sure if they have this on all cruise but we were on a South American sailing)

... not particular food but

Indonesian Tea and the sweets

and the sweets at the Dutch tea

Cant wait until my next HAL cruise

I LOVE EVERYTHING!! but especially

lamb , lamb lamb on my recent transatlantic think i ate a whole flock of sheep

bircher muesli at breakfast

le cirque food was amazing

the soups cold /hot they are all so tasty

and lastly the main dining room bread , ate the whole basket every night , i never eat bread at home and the temptation onboard is too much.

only thing i think HAL fails on massively is deserts they are so bland and tasteless, if the HAL spies are reading please employ english or french dessert chefs you cannot beat english and french deserts

• 2 weeks later...

I have so many favorites it would be hard to pick one but I was just looking at another thread and someone posted the MDR breakfast menu. That reminded me how much I like the Dutch breakfast sandwich (thick white bread, ham, gouda cheese and egg). I'm sure it isn't good for my health but I have to have it at least once on a cruise.

Otherwise I echo many others: cold soups, raisin buns for breakfast, chocolate purse, cinnamon ice cream, Indonesian tea. Dang, all this lovely food and I won't be cruising until November.

St. Louis Sal

Swiss-Style Muesli at breakfast

I second that and add fresh squeezed orange juice in the Lido, poolside taco bar, chicken under a brick and the lobster salad at Le Cirque night, short ribs braised in curry sauce in the MDR.

On a Celebrity Alaskan cruise the Had Salmon Pizza. The W-O-R-S-T.

I am from New Orleans , and I love the HAL bread pudding. The best soups ever. My DH only eats soup on HAL not at home at all.

For some reason the ice cream is damn good.

Pinnacle Grill is so-so. The stakes there are really good, juicy and tender. I can't even remember the rest of the food there.

I eat a different breakfast each morning.

Maybe I just like food.

On the Alaska cruise, SALMON---every way they prepared it. Also tried a few other types of fish, all excellent!

But probably our very favorite---the chilled soups, especially the blueberry!

Actually have never had anything that wasn't good! And no dishes to wash or cleanup---you can't beat that!!

• 2 months later...
...and they are in order of my love of them:

1. Nachos (make them myself at the Lido Terrace Grill)

2. Pizza!!! Love HAL's Sauceless Pizza:)

3. Chateaubriand (offered only on Le Cirque Night at the Pinnacle Grill)

4. Chocolate Purse. Oh My, that is to die for!!

5. HAL's Bread Pudding

Joanie

Joanie et , al

How can I find which night on my cruise is le cirque night ? That way I can organize my tamarind& Canaletto bookings

Thank u

The larger ships -- Vista and Signature class -- are not able to handle lobster in the Lido buffet. The lobster would become cold and gummy sitting in pans.

We had the lobster in the Lido in the Oosterdam on formal night when we didn't want to be formal. It was delish. Ordered Surf & Surf instead of Surf & Turf so I got 2 pieces of lobster each for DH and I. Then sent him up to do the same again. Made little piggies of ourselves.

There were plenty of favourites but what we really enjoyed were the toasted pannini's at lunch time in the Lido from the sandwich bar. Simple and tasty. Sometimes when you are eating all the fancy food, a simple sandwich, well made, can be a delight.

We also liked the Sunshine Parfaits at breakfast, which is made up of toasted muesli, greek yogurt and fresh berries, a good start to the day.

I also developed a liking for American style bacon, not that I don't like a good English style 'fry up' but the crispy thin bacon was something I did not expect to enjoy, but I did and now I am trying to emulate it at home and not having much luck.

I also developed a liking for American style bacon, not that I don't like a good English style 'fry up' but the crispy thin bacon was something I did not expect to enjoy, but I did and now I am trying to emulate it at home and not having much luck.

US-style bacon is usually smoked, which is the part I cannot replicate here in Australia. I have recipes for making bacon out of pork belly, but without a smoker (or liquid smoke) it's hard to get it exactly right.

HAL does a good job with bacon. My mother will often have a breakfast of bacon and Cheerios. She laughs that doing it that way mean the oats in Cheerios cancel out the cholesterol in the bacon (not true), but HAL bacon is one of her favorites.

:):):) sorry, I just can't get past that they are Snails!! Love the lamb, the fillet, and the chocolate purses. I have not found bread pudding, but never go to the lido. I will have to seek it out next time

Nor me, Yuk!!!!

Bread pudding is delicious!

I was actually quite surprised as I read through this thread to see how many people mentioned lamb, either leg or rack of lamb, which is one of my favorites on HAL or any cruise. Mrs. K doesn't like it at all so, unlike say lobster which is always popular, it's not something we fix at home. Very few restaurants, except for a few very upscale ones, offer lamb locally so my main source is a cruise. Same for escargot. That's another food Mrs. K can't stand and, in fact, it's one of those "kiss me now before you eat it" foods for her. Of course I feel the same way about cottage cheese which is one of her favorites that she gets when either she or I are away for each other on a business trip or on a cruise. Yuck. :D

US-style bacon is usually smoked, which is the part I cannot replicate here in Australia. I have recipes for making bacon out of pork belly, but without a smoker (or liquid smoke) it's hard to get it exactly right.

HAL does a good job with bacon. My mother will often have a breakfast of bacon and Cheerios. She laughs that doing it that way mean the oats in Cheerios cancel out the cholesterol in the bacon (not true), but HAL bacon is one of her favorites.

At home we only have bacon once a week because of DH's heart condition.

But before we leave for cruises, we will have it a couple of times.

Neither of us can stand HAL's undercooked and many times half raw, greasy bacon. We like ours very crisp.