Disembarking in Vancouver and flying WestJet

grapehound

Hi everyone - I haven't cruised in several years and am worried that I booked flights home too early. Well, they weren't too early, but then the schedule changed (the downside of booking airfare months in advance!). We're disembarking the Norwegian Sun in Vancouver at 8 am and (hopefully) catching an 11:40 flight from YVR. Is that doable? And has anybody ever flown WestJet before? Not sure what to expect from them.

I also seem to remember that the cruise line asks you when your flight is and prioritizes disembarkation for those on early flights. Is that still how it works? Actually, if someone can give me a rundown on disembarking in general, that would be great. I have an awful memory. Thanks in advance!

Can't help with how much time it takes from port to airport, but general rule is to catch flights after 12 noon, so you'r cutting it close.

If flying back to the US in additional to air security, you clear US customs and immigration at YVR, so you need to add time for that.

We're disembarking the Norwegian Sun in Vancouver at 8 am and (hopefully) catching an 11:40 flight from YVR. Is that doable? And has anybody ever flown WestJet before? Not sure what to expect from them.

I believe 8:00 a.m. is when your ship is scheduled to arrive, not when you actually disembark. This flight time would make me nervous, especially as you will have to preclear US immigration and customs at YVR before you board your flight, which means you need even more time to make your flight.

Hi everyone - I haven't cruised in several years and am worried that I booked flights home too early. Well, they weren't too early, but then the schedule changed (the downside of booking airfare months in advance!). We're disembarking the Norwegian Sun in Vancouver at 8 am and (hopefully) catching an 11:40 flight from YVR. Is that doable? And has anybody ever flown WestJet before? Not sure what to expect from them.

I also seem to remember that the cruise line asks you when your flight is and prioritizes disembarkation for those on early flights. Is that still how it works? Actually, if someone can give me a rundown on disembarking in general, that would be great. I have an awful memory. Thanks in advance!

Just do a self-disembarkation (you carry your own bags off), and do it early, and you'll be fine. WestJet is a good Canadian airline, probably most similar to JetBlue. Free seatback TV, and one free checked bag.

It is tight because of pre-clearing US customs in Vancouver but it is doable and will get you home nice and early. As mentioned, do the priority walk-off and carry your own luggage. Find out the day before where the walk-off passengers can wait and make sure you know where and when you are leaving. We have often been within the first 10-15 people to walk a ship. This also ensures a line hasn't formed yet to get a taxi, again, saving you a few valuable minutes.

You might want to use the internet cafe on the ship and pre-print your boarding pass too.

Once, when leaving Tampa we were so tight for time that I even bothered to figure out where the taxi line was BEFORE we boarded the ship. It was easy to make a bee-line.

I feel comfortable about my 11:30 flight from YVR but it is domestic to Toronto, so once I leave the ship and Canadian customs and immigration, there is only airport security to worry about. It is that extra step of US customs and immigration at YVR that is worrisome. If things are right, very doable but you leave yourself very little wiggle room.

It's roughly a 30 minute drive from the seaport to the airport. Easily doable especially if it's on a weekend when there will be less traffic.

Ensure you try to get off the ship early... just in case.

As far as Westjet. They are fine. Equal to or better than Air Canada and at the risk of being rude, probably better than most US airlines.

It would be a good idea to web check in as well in order to save time at the airport.

I feel comfortable about my 11:30 flight from YVR but it is domestic to Toronto, so once I leave the ship and Canadian customs and immigration, there is only airport security to worry about. It is that extra step of US customs and immigration at YVR that is worrisome. If things are right, very doable but you leave yourself very little wiggle room.

The OP didn't mention if they have a direct flight to the US from YVR. If you make any stops in Canada prior to arriving in the US you will not go through US customs at YVR and it would save time. For a US direct flight I've always been safe with 2 hours prior to departure, so 9:40 or earlier.

The concern I would have with telling the cruiseline what time your flight leaves is hoping for an early enough disembark time and that when your number gets called could be delayed. As for getting to VYR you could either take a taxi or take the Canada Line if you are docking at Canada Place and have no problems dragging your luggage about a block.

Thanks everyone for the fantastic advice! We're going from YVR to ORD, and I didn't realize customs would be in Canada, not at O'Hare upon arrival. That makes me pretty nervous. We will take the advice here and hope for the best! I have been checking other flight options and they are all prohibitively expensive.

The concern I would have with telling the cruiseline what time your flight leaves is hoping for an early enough disembark time and that when your number gets called could be delayed.

@OP do not put your luggage out the night before and wait for a number to be called. Make sure you arrange for early walk-off. No numbers are called. You roll your own suitcase off the ship before they start calling numbers.

FYI -have taken a 10h20 flight out of Tampa and had time for breakfast at the airport first. Also, had an 11hAM out of FLL and had time for 2 bloody Mary's at the bar in the airport.

Wishing you luck! Promise though, you won't let it ruin your holiday and no stressing of others because you are in a panic.

• 2 weeks later...

We are looking at a flight that leaves Vancouver at 11:00 am. It's the only flight that we can find that gets us back home by midnight. DH has to work the next day (Monday)

This flight is on a Sunday in the middle of September. Taking a cruise to Alaska. There are two flights on United. One uses WestJet to get from Vancouver to Chicago on the return. It is $20 pp less than the flight that uses United all the way around. We were uneasy with the unknown (to us) regional and were going to choose the more expensive flight.. However, perhaps we should choose the WestJet segment as it also leaves 40 minutes later.

BTW- We also have to catch a flight from AVL to Chicago before getting to Vancouver. Is it too early to purchase air for a September flight? Pricing is running about $850 pp from AVL to ORD.

We are looking at a flight that leaves Vancouver at 11:00 am. It's the only flight that we can find that gets us back home by midnight. DH has to work the next day (Monday)

This flight is on a Sunday in the middle of September. Taking a cruise to Alaska. There are two flights on United. One uses WestJet to get from Vancouver to Chicago on the return. It is $20 pp less than the flight that uses United all the way around. We were uneasy with the unknown (to us) regional and were going to choose the more expensive flight.. However, perhaps we should choose the WestJet segment as it also leaves 40 minutes later.

BTW- We also have to catch a flight from AVL to Chicago before getting to Vancouver. Is it too early to purchase air for a September flight? Pricing is running about $850 pp from AVL to ORD.

WS/Westjet is not a 'regional carrier', it operates 100+ Boeing 737s, serves 83 destinations in 19 countries, and is Canada's 2nd largest airline. They do have a regional carrier (which starts in June) called Westjet Encore flying DHC8-400 turboprops, but you wouldn't be flying them from YVR to ORD.

However, in this case I'd be inclined to go UA all the way, as I'm not sure WS/US have an interline (transfer of bags) agreement between the two of them. If it's WS/AA or WS/DL you're OK as they do. The advantages of WS is one checked bag is free, free seatback TV as well.

[added]

OK, went and checked and indeed UA/WS do have an interline (http://www.westjet.com/guest/en/about/airline-partners/). I would however check what terminal WS fly into at ORD and make sure the transfer isn't too onerous, but at least you'll arrive as a domestic passenger at ORD as you cleared US Customs & Immigration prior to boarding (or even reaching the E gates) in Vancouver. Given the fact they do interline I'd be inclined to pick the WS/UA option as it's $50 cheaper ($30+bag fee)

I think WestJet will either arrive at Terminal 1 (where 98% of domestic United flights depart from) or Terminal 2. Either way, it wouldn't be too hard to catch a connection. T1 and T2 are the easiest to get back and forth between at O'Hare. Shouldn't be a problem from that perspective.

I would agree going with WestJet to ORD makes sense, at least it did for me. Between the cheaper flights and the bag fees, it really adds up quickly. Of course, I don't have a connection to worry about...

As far as booking airfare, I found with Alaska, it only goes up if you wait. I think I paid $100/pp extra because I put off purchasing by a week, and we purchased over 3 months in advance of the flight! As long as you're sure you won't cancel the cruise, I would say book soon.

WS/Westjet is not a 'regional carrier', it operates 100+ Boeing 737s, serves 83 destinations in 19 countries, and is Canada's 2nd largest airline. They do have a regional carrier (which starts in June) called Westjet Encore flying DHC8-400 turboprops, but you wouldn't be flying them from YVR to ORD.

However, in this case I'd be inclined to go UA all the way, as I'm not sure WS/US have an interline (transfer of bags) agreement between the two of them. If it's WS/AA or WS/DL you're OK as they do. The advantages of WS is one checked bag is free, free seatback TV as well.

[added]

OK, went and checked and indeed UA/WS do have an interline (http://www.westjet.com/guest/en/about/airline-partners/). I would however check what terminal WS fly into at ORD and make sure the transfer isn't too onerous, but at least you'll arrive as a domestic passenger at ORD as you cleared US Customs & Immigration prior to boarding (or even reaching the E gates) in Vancouver. Given the fact they do interline I'd be inclined to pick the WS/UA option as it's $50 cheaper ($30+bag fee)

I think WestJet will either arrive at Terminal 1 (where 98% of domestic United flights depart from) or Terminal 2. Either way, it wouldn't be too hard to catch a connection. T1 and T2 are the easiest to get back and forth between at O'Hare. Shouldn't be a problem from that perspective.

I would agree going with WestJet to ORD makes sense, at least it did for me. Between the cheaper flights and the bag fees, it really adds up quickly. Of course, I don't have a connection to worry about...

As far as booking airfare, I found with Alaska, it only goes up if you wait. I think I paid $100/pp extra because I put off purchasing by a week, and we purchased over 3 months in advance of the flight! As long as you're sure you won't cancel the cruise, I would say book soon.

Thank you both for the information. price has already gone up. :(. Hopefully, it will go back down a bit. One thing price that did pop up last night on ITA, was something that I had never seen before. The price was $820 for United all the way. The catch was that they suggested booking two one way tickets. I was a little hesitant to do that considering we would be flying into Canada. I didn't want to be questioned as to why we had a one way ticket to Canada. :eek:

The cruise is a bit over 4 months away, so if the price will once again go down a tad, we will book..

Hi! I am in Vancouver. I think that flight is cutting it too close. Allow yourself more time. The ship has two possible docks, Canada Place or Ballantyne pier (not sure of spelling). If it docks in Ballantyne Pier taking public transit may be tricky. I have never done this myself or visited the docks (it is not in the heart of downtown). However, if it docks at canada place, public transit is easy. You can take the SkyTrain from waterfront station (nearly right infront of CPlace). Then TRANSFER TO ANOTHER LINE called the Canada line at Granville Station (completely exit the skytrain station at the Granville St stop, which is beneath the Hudson Bay dept store) then proceed across the street and enter the CLine Downtown Georgia st station located at the corner of georgia st and granville st --- its very close by). You are now in the heart of downtown vancouver. Now take the Canada Line all the way to yvr airport, which is in Richmond. This is direct. JUST MAKE SURE U GET ON THE TRAIN THAT SAYS IT TERMINATES AT YVR. Trains come nearly every 5 mins at peak hours. Announcements are made saying "next train to arrive is yvr" and there is a scrolling sign above telling you what is the next train, and how many mins more. Trains do close by 12am ish or so or 1am so make sure u do not book a flight that leaves in the wee morning hours. As for how much time it takes, i am only GUESSing but i estimate 1hr. To get more accurate info and time, google BC Transit, and their site has plenty of info including trip planning, time it takes, system map, last train and when they close etc...get off the LAST stop. I believe the second to the last stop is the yvr parking area and staff stuff. But please double check that.

Keep in mind the system has 3 routes: skytrain (oldest route), millenium line, and Canada Line (newest route). I love taking CLine to yvr. So simple, direct and quick. Imho the best way. If u taxi to yvr during rush hour, traffic is awful! And can cost around $40 if not more during that time.

Another interesting note: if you Take the CLine from yvr into town (the station is right infront), if you prebuy a bus ticket booklet (not sure where in yvr) you will not be charged an extra $5 boarding fee onto Canada Line at yvr. This is ONLY at yvr.

Not sure if you are addressing the OP, or me. ;)

I am not sure where the Silhouette will be docking. We have docked at both in the past and normally hire a private driver to pick us up or take a cab. I did not remembering it taking an hour to the airport from either pier, however.

Hi! I am in Vancouver. I think that flight is cutting it too close. Allow yourself more time. The ship has two possible docks, Canada Place or Ballantyne pier (not sure of spelling). If it docks in Ballantyne Pier taking public transit may be tricky. I have never done this myself or visited the docks (it is not in the heart of downtown). However, if it docks at canada place, public transit is easy. You can take the SkyTrain from waterfront station (nearly right infront of CPlace). Then TRANSFER TO ANOTHER LINE called the Canada line at Granville Station (completely exit the skytrain station at the Granville St stop, which is beneath the Hudson Bay dept store) then proceed across the street and enter the CLine Downtown Georgia st station located at the corner of georgia st and granville st --- its very close by). You are now in the heart of downtown vancouver. Now take the Canada Line all the way to yvr airport, which is in Richmond. This is direct. JUST MAKE SURE U GET ON THE TRAIN THAT SAYS IT TERMINATES AT YVR. Trains come nearly every 5 mins at peak hours. Announcements are made saying "next train to arrive is yvr" and there is a scrolling sign above telling you what is the next train, and how many mins more. Trains do close by 12am ish or so or 1am so make sure u do not book a flight that leaves in the wee morning hours. As for how much time it takes, i am only GUESSing but i estimate 1hr. To get more accurate info and time, google BC Transit, and their site has plenty of info including trip planning, time it takes, system map, last train and when they close etc...get off the LAST stop. I believe the second to the last stop is the yvr parking area and staff stuff. But please double check that.

Keep in mind the system has 3 routes: skytrain (oldest route), millenium line, and Canada Line (newest route). I love taking CLine to yvr. So simple, direct and quick. Imho the best way. If u taxi to yvr during rush hour, traffic is awful! And can cost around $40 if not more during that time.

Another interesting note: if you Take the CLine from yvr into town (the station is right infront), if you prebuy a bus ticket booklet (not sure where in yvr) you will not be charged an extra $5 boarding fee onto Canada Line at yvr. This is ONLY at yvr.

No need to transfer, Canada Line also starts at Waterfront station, it's just a different set of tracks. From Canada Place exit straight ahead one block, turn left walk two blocks and enter Waterfront station on your left. You probably took the Expo/Millennium line escalators that are 1/2 block from Canada Place (note there's a sign at the top of the escalators now that shows you how to get to Canada Line entrance). Even if you do take that entrance, go down to the platform, walk the full length and back up on the far side into Waterfront Station, turn right and down to the Canada Line tracks.

Lastly, you're looking for TRANSLINK.CA not BCTRANSIT (BC Transit is buses for every other city in BC, except Vancouver).

No need to transfer, Canada Line also starts at Waterfront station, it's just a different set of tracks. From Canada Place exit straight ahead one block, turn left walk two blocks and enter Waterfront station on your left. You probably took the Expo/Millennium line escalators that are 1/2 block from Canada Place (note there's a sign at the top of the escalators now that shows you how to get to Canada Line entrance). Even if you do take that entrance, go down to the platform, walk the full length and back up on the far side into Waterfront Station, turn right and down to the Canada Line tracks.

Lastly, you're looking for TRANSLINK.CA not BCTRANSIT (BC Transit is buses for every other city in BC, except Vancouver).

Oop! Yes ur right. Even better and easier! And yes, bctransit is regional, and translink is lower mainland, tho a link to TLink is on there anyways.

Not sure if you are addressing the OP, or me. ;)

I am not sure where the Silhouette will be docking. We have docked at both in the past and normally hire a private driver to pick us up or take a cab. I did not remembering it taking an hour to the airport from either pier, however.

I have taken taxis from downtown to yvr, tho it was at rush hour, and it took me nearly an hour. Slow going on all the arteries into Richmond (rush hour tho). I remember my heart jumping out of my chest! :eek: and i was sooooo happy when the Canada Line was built...phew! :D

You have more experience than me leaving from Ballentyne. Ive never cruised from that pier, only from CanPlace.

Correction : no need to transfer. Board Canada Line right at Waterfront Station. And google Translink. Its better than googling bc transit. Thanks scottbee for letting me know my mistake!

It will prob be less than an hour by CLine...maybe half hour, but i always allow an hour for the unexpected.

I have taken taxis from downtown to yvr, tho it was at rush hour, and it took me nearly an hour. Slow going on all the arteries into Richmond (rush hour tho). I remember my heart jumping out of my chest! :eek: and i was sooooo happy when the Canada Line was built...phew! :D

You have more experience than me leaving from Ballentyne. Ive never cruised from that pier, only from CanPlace.

Would it help that our cruise disembarks on a Sunday morning at 7:00? Canada Place East is the pier.

We went ahead and booked the flights with the plane leaving YVR at 11:00. :eek: the WestJet segment was not offered last night. Being that we dock at Canada Place Easton a Sunday morning at 7:00, and will use the self embarkation, plus do online check-in the day before (print passes), we hope to be able to make the flight. If not...so be it! ;)

Thank you for all the help. :)

Archived