Glory CXL for Jan 7th & 14th 2006

Deb&Bert

I have a group of 60 family and friends going out on the Glory Jan. 14th.

Just got a phone call from Carnival telling me that they are DRY DOCKING the GLORY for 2 weeks..

SORRY ABOUT YOUR LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They offered to keep the same price 2 weeks later or sail on the Mircle for the same rates.

We already have our AIR, SHUTTLE'S and HOTEL's.

They had a real oh well with me.. I need 15 side by side balcony rooms and it took them 3 hours of fighting to finally get that done.

Because we are doing our own Air, Sorry again about your luck..

I can't even believe that being what 1 year old that she has to go into dry dock..

Thinks it time to start shopping for another cruise line.

This would be our groups 6th cruise and my 8th!!!!!!!!!

All with Carnival..

Umm, I believe the Glory is older than just 1 year. The Valor will be 1 year old later this year, but from what I can find, the Glory started in July of 2003. And also from what I've read and seen, most passenger ships are drydocked every 2 years or so for overall maintenance.

I feel really bad that things like this happen to good people through no fault of their own. Here are my questions & comments:

1) Did you take out trip insurance? That would cover the problem as far as $$ is concerned. With 60 people, I sure hope you did.

2) You should call the airlines and see if you can re-book the air. Some airlines allow you to re-book without a penalty (like Southwest) Others may charge you a fee fo $25-100 per ticket. Hotels shouldn't be a problem unless you paid one of those non-refundable internet rates.

3) Talk to a Carnival Customer Service Manager. See if they'll make up the $$ you're out on air, etc. with a reduced fare or an on-board credit. Keep stressing how this is your group's 6th cruise with Carnival.

Unfortunately, this is going to take a lot of work that you shouldn't have to do. Good Luck!

PHEW! Got a bit upset when I saw your headline, I'm on the Glory on 02/11/2006 with co-workers. I'm really sorry your group got the short end of the stick but, (selfishly speaking) I'm glad our sailing seems to be ok...we have a large group too.

What I can't figure out is why the cruise lines open the dates for booking when they know the ships are due for drydock/maintenance. Am I the only person who doesn't understand this logic on the part of the corporate geniuses who do this to us...their "valued customers"?

I am sorry that this has messed up your vacation. Did you stick with Glory or did you go with Miracle?

I am booked with Glory on 2/4. I am a little worried now about sailing after a drydock after watching the show on TLC. Alot of people on the board said you should avoid a ship foe at least a month after drydock.

Has anyone else ever sailed Carnival after drydock?

I don't think they're overhauling the Glory (which is what they did to the SOS). I'm betting they're going to be replacing carpets (which needs to be done), repainting (they were painting in the Promenade when I was on the ship a month ago (which was probably just a temp thing), replace all of the beds etc.

The bathrooms and the rooms are in a good state. However, they could use new carpet and paint. They may even touch up furniture? Who knows.

I am sorry that this has messed up your vacation. Did you stick with Glory or did you go with Miracle?

I am booked with Glory on 2/4. I am a little worried now about sailing after a drydock after watching the show on TLC. Alot of people on the board said you should avoid a ship foe at least a month after drydock.

Has anyone else ever sailed Carnival after drydock?

Pride and Legend came out of drydock earlier this year and I dont recall anyone reporting problems.The show on TLC was not a typical drydock.

we are on that same date on Glory and have not heard anything abou this. Calling our group person now!

I see on the carnival site they have pulled those dates from the schedule. Hope you can get another cruise for your group.

Glory will be in dry dock Jan 7-21. So now we are starting over. We need to travel that weekend (jan 14 or 15) b/c of school. Prefer leaving Tampa, Port Canaveral or Jacksonville. So now to find somewhere to book 10 cabins. Annoying as he^&!!!!

Contact your Carnival rep again. I spoke to my neighbor who works for Carnival in reservations--she just found out about it today. She said if you provide proof of fees from confirmed airline seats they will reimburse you up to $100 per person. If you're booked as a group maybe there's a difference, since she only works with individual reservations, but it's worth a try.

Deb, under the circumstances, I would think that Carnival should offer some sort of reimbursement for your flight costs. Especially considering the size of the group. And it's also slightly cheaper flying to Tampa than to Orlando from Detroit. ;)

The rep that I talked to yestersday told me regarding Air Fare is this is the very reason you book Air with Carnival. I laughed and said.. OH yes for double the price.

I talked to Northwest and they are going to move the whole group two weeks later WITH OUT PENTLY! That was really cool of them.

Anyone who does groups knows its just alot of really hard work.

THe AIr, Shuttles, Hotels, Dinning times, I could on and on.

I don't have a problem with the ship going to dry dock, I just have a major problem with Carnival's response to my problems.. Like its not a big deal and if you don't like it.. Sorry about your luck.

Ususally I love dealing with Carnival and have little problems.

BUt when you have a group that has been this faithfull I believe they could throw them a bone. ANd believe me I am not done with them yet.

THe group did choose to wait the 2 weeks and go out the week of the Jan. 28th. The ship will be clean and like new again which will be really cool.

Contact your Carnival rep again. I spoke to my neighbor who works for Carnival in reservations--she just found out about it today. She said if you provide proof of fees from confirmed airline seats they will reimburse you up to $100 per person. If you're booked as a group maybe there's a difference, since she only works with individual reservations, but it's worth a try.

ANGEL99MM: NOTICED YOU LIVE IN PLANTATION... WHAT HOTEL WOULD YOU RECOMMEND IN YOUR AREA... GROUP GOING ON THE TRIUMPH IN EARLY DEC. AND LOOKING FOR HOTEL...WE WILL BE DRIVING. HAD THOUGHT ABOUT HAMPTON INN? ANY THOUGHTS? WOULD APPRECIATE ANY RECOMMENDATIONS ON GOOD SEAFOOD RESTAURANTS ALSO... THANKS

MO CRUISER :)

Well after hours of dealing direct with Carnival this was the BEST they could do.

The group is going to wait 2 weeks and sail out on the 28th Of Jan.

They had choose a 1 upgrade with their points.

They keep that upgrade and Carnival gave them back their point to use for something else.

They upgrade 3 out of 10 inside rooms to be on the same level as their balcony rooms.

They gave 1 extra amenity point. So now they have 2 extra point.

That was after talking to 7 people.. 4 being Superivors..LOL

They really have gotten tough on what they are willing to give you to make you happy.

In the years past it was much easier to get something good from them.

But atleast they did make a effort to make this group happy..

So THANKS CARNIVAL!

Do you know the exact dates the Glory will be in drydock? My family is booked for the Dec. 31-Jan.7th sailing. I hope we aren't going to be in the same situation as you!

Judging by the OP's title it looks like you are on the last sailing before drydock.

What I can't figure out is why the cruise lines open the dates for booking when they know the ships are due for drydock/maintenance. Am I the only person who doesn't understand this logic on the part of the corporate geniuses who do this to us...their "valued customers"?

Because they don't own the dry dock facilities and have to wait for booking opportunities to open up?

Looks like we are switching to Miracle Jan 14-21. We will get the same price for the same type cabins. Miracle does not normally have points, but they will let us keep the points from Glory and use them on miracle ($100 onboard credit per cabinr).

So now I have to start reading about Miracle instead of Glory. Anyone have any thoughts? I am kind of excited to go to 4 ports again (we had 4, but they took away one on Glory). Now we will see if the group will still want to go.

The only bad part about the Mircle is the Balcony dividers on the Deck DO NOT OPEN!!! And for my group that is hudge. We have 15 that we open from the first to the last.. One long outside balcony.

So if you don't care about that.. The Mircle is great.

The only bad part about the Mircle is the Balcony dividers on the Deck DO NOT OPEN!!! And for my group that is hudge. We have 15 that we open from the first to the last.. One long outside balcony.

So if you don't care about that.. The Mircle is great.

LOL I like people, but not that much! I always had a habit of forgetting to lock my balcony door on Glory, so the dividers open would be asking for too much trouble, to me.

However, thank you for informing me that they do not open. My family (my mom, dad, brother, myself, and some friends were going to go next May maybe on the Miracle and ask if we could have the dividers between the 2 cabins opened.

Archived