Question from Grandma

PattyG12

We've just started planning a cruise for 2014 on the Explorer of the Seas. We will be travelling with a LARGE group, including an 18 month old, 2 that will be just under 3 (and both hopefully potty trained), a 6 year old and 1 12 year old. I'm trying to let the moms know what will be offered on the Explorer of the Seas but since I'm a grandma, I've not been to the kids area. Does anyone have pictures and/or comments? Does the EOS have the Royal Tots babysitting option? Will the kids have plenty to do during the 5 sea days?

I really need your help on this! Thanks!

We've just started planning a cruise for 2014 on the Explorer of the Seas. We will be travelling with a LARGE group, including an 18 month old, 2 that will be just under 3 (and both hopefully potty trained), a 6 year old and 1 12 year old. I'm trying to let the moms know what will be offered on the Explorer of the Seas but since I'm a grandma, I've not been to the kids area. Does anyone have pictures and/or comments? Does the EOS have the Royal Tots babysitting option? Will the kids have plenty to do during the 5 sea days?

I really need your help on this! Thanks!

Explorer has Royal Tots, but that's the 45 minute playgroup. They do not have a nursery. I have seen reference to a drydock that is supposed to happen in December 2014 which adds a nursery, but I haven't seen anything from RCCL that confirms this. They do have in cabin babysitting.

It will be kind of chilly or downright cold on the first couple and last couple of days for a March voyage, so I would not count on too much outdoor or water activity for about half the sea days.

We were on Explorer for a 14 night cruise over Christmas 2 years ago. Lots and lots of kids. All RCCL ships have a nice video game area, so the 6 and 12 year old may enjoy that. :D My kids have enjoyed RCCL's kids clubs overall, so the 6 and 12 year old should be fine. Not sure about the children under 3 though.

At that age, you'll pretty much do with them on the ship the things you do at home to keep them entertained. Even if there isn't a nursery, they do have toy exchanges, so you don't have to bring a ton of toys/diversions with you.

If there is no nursery for the under 3 groups, they should have in cabin babysitting avail...check when you board.

Explorer has Royal Tots, but that's the 45 minute playgroup. They do not have a nursery. I have seen reference to a drydock that is supposed to happen in December 2014 which adds a nursery, but I haven't seen anything from RCCL that confirms this. They do have in cabin babysitting.

It will be kind of chilly or downright cold on the first couple and last couple of days for a March voyage, so I would not count on too much outdoor or water activity for about half the sea days.

We were on Explorer for a 14 night cruise over Christmas 2 years ago. Lots and lots of kids. All RCCL ships have a nice video game area, so the 6 and 12 year old may enjoy that. :D My kids have enjoyed RCCL's kids clubs overall, so the 6 and 12 year old should be fine. Not sure about the children under 3 though.

The revitalizations - according to their web site says "Feb 2014"

It's right here :)

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/General_Info/Flyers/12028421_Revit_QuickReference_Guide.pdf?cid=int_0082

• 2 weeks later...
Oh Michelle!! You have made my day now. I hope that is true! The little ones would love it.

We spoke too soon! Now that they have announced QOS - they have now updated that link above to say 2015 - not "2014" for the EOS refurb.

So sorry Patty! I was hoping there would be some good news for you :(

• 2 weeks later...

DS was on the explorer and he loved the teen area. You really need to bring the 12 yr old up there the first night to the meet and greet party so she/he can make friends. Kids start forming groups at this party and you dont want to have her/him coming the next day and not finding a friend. Ok every night they have a dance party. There is usually a theme to it. there was a pajama party so make sure your teen packs something appropriate. The last night they have a prom so if you have a girl pack a nice dress - guys can dress up or not = DS won prom king ( yeah!!!) haha. they do scavenger hunts, they have a "quest" of thier own- DS had to dress as a girl. they have a few game consols. Oh they have DJ scratch academy. your teen can go learn how to DJ and its free. If they go to all 3 classes they get a tshirt and a certificate. They also go to the skating rink as a group and to the movie theater. They had a rock wall competition too. the kids at this age do not get signed in and out. this means you eed to set some rules on how your teen is supposed to act. The teen dance ends at 1pm and they are supposed to go straight back to the room. at 12 yrs old i might meet them there and take them back - depending on the kid. hope this helps. DS had so much fun we are going back on explorer next year. oh they have the new soda machine on the explorer where you mix your own flavors of soda. I didnt get DS one because he doesnt usually drink alot of soda but i found out they would all share from on of the kids that did have it. DS ended up with mono so i would buy the package or strictly forbid codrinking

Hmmm, that's a lot of little ones. We were on Explorer a year ago (Jan 2012) with my then 18 mo. I hate to say it, but I found that to be the most difficult age yet (I have 3 older kids) to cruise. After the cruise my husband made me promise we wouldn't attempt another cruise until she was old enough to be in the kids club, or there was a nursery.

The good news:

1. We loved the toy swap program. She loved the toys and they kept her occupied in the room.

2. Milk was readily available anytime we asked.

3. I love the promenade and pushing her up and down it in the stroller was a relaxing thing to do on the cold sea days.

4. They do offer in-cabin babysitting. We didn't use it because it was so expensive (and my oldest could do some babysitting for us). But you would have the advantage of just paying for one sitter for the three little ones.

5. If the almost 3 yos are potty-trained, I do like Explorer's kiddie pool area.

6. My older kids LOVE Royal's Adventure Ocean program (kids club), so the 6 and 12 year olds will be set.

What cabins do you have? I'd suggest one of the larger cabins, like the 2 bedroom suite (if that's in your budget) or the family oceanview (actually a good deal) because of the extra floor space. It would be nice to have that floor space for the little ones to play and perhaps the adults can take turns watching them in the room.

We love cruising with extended family because there are activities for every age group. I'm sure you'll have a great trip!

• 2 months later...

RM it's several different families. One has a baby and a 3 year old. I will have my 6 year old GS and my daughter will have her 2 year old. Another friend will have the 12 year old. All of the kids have cruised before. The older kids love Adventure Ocean so it should be good. I was more concerned that the really little ones would miss out. I'm sure there is a kid pool somewhere.

If you use this search page http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/search/buildAdvancedSearch.do and check off on the bottom right button nursery, you can limit your search to Royal Caribbean itineraries on ships that have been built or retrofitted with nurseries and see which cruises have nurseries during the timeframe you wish to sail.

Your alternatives could be that camp carnival starts at two, and Disney nurseries are available for children aged 6 months - 36 months. Disney nurseries would let you sign up for hours before you sail, so you would be able to make plans for shows or dinner or excursions knowing that your grandchild has care. Additionally, Princess allows children under three to visit the Kidzone under adult supervision. Our two year old son loved the Kidzone, and his grandmothers were able to easily supervise him while the camp counselors gave him arts and craft projects to complete (the counselors cannot be responsible for children under three, but are happy to help bring them toys and whatever arts and craft activities the other children are doing).

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks everyone ... I believe the 2-1/2-3 year olds will be completely trained. That will leave just the baby. My daughter is working on her (now) 2 year old so that he's trained before we go. I appreciate all the links.

My Grandson started cruising with us as a toddler. We let him stay with us (his choice) and we just "rotated" duties. We chose adjoining balcony cabins and this was a big bonus for us, allowing him to be put to bed in his room, with the door open for me to watch after him while his parents were able to go out and have a little fun. We took a small stroller and he loved watching all the activities in the promenade. He was fascinated with everything at dinner and the waiters went above and beyond to entertain him. We picked up a collection of new inexpensive toys to entertain him with and he got a new one each day. He took some of his best naps in the stroller in the shaded areas with a wonderful breeze blowing on him. He seemed to immediately adapt to the schedule and slept wonderfully at night to the gentle rocking of the ship. Some of my best memories are the one-on-one time with him on the cruise ships.

• 4 weeks later...
My Grandson started cruising with us as a toddler. We let him stay with us (his choice) and we just "rotated" duties. We chose adjoining balcony cabins and this was a big bonus for us, allowing him to be put to bed in his room, with the door open for me to watch after him while his parents were able to go out and have a little fun. We took a small stroller and he loved watching all the activities in the promenade. He was fascinated with everything at dinner and the waiters went above and beyond to entertain him. We picked up a collection of new inexpensive toys to entertain him with and he got a new one each day. He took some of his best naps in the stroller in the shaded areas with a wonderful breeze blowing on him. He seemed to immediately adapt to the schedule and slept wonderfully at night to the gentle rocking of the ship. Some of my best memories are the one-on-one time with him on the cruise ships.

Enjoyed your post..We have cruised many times but next May to Alaska will be our first with our grandchild (17 mos.) and we are all very nervous..Glad to read a positive experience.

Archived