Surface Damage on Breeze???

rockbock

My husband and I were on the Liberty last week and we were positioned next to the Breeze in both Miami and Nassau (what a beautiful ship...I definitely want to book a cruise on it at some point!).

We noticed a large area that appeared to be rusted or have some other type of surface damage. I'm sure it's nothing threatening or they would have repaired it already, but we were very surprised to see such significant wear on a ship that was just over 9 months old.

544070_10150281538129987_779935325_n.jpg

OK, thank you very much. I will not be taking this into consideration when I book a cabin. ::shrug::

Why were you surprised to see that? It's a ship! Sometimes they're pushed into the little stopper thingies on docks or sometimes other things or boats/ships might accidentally smack into it orrr it could've grazed something. Sometimes ship happens. I'm sure they'll repaint that section.

Looks like pier bumper "damage" to me.

Yes, those were the bumper thingies on docks I was talking about. :p

just like your car, get a bottle of some touch up paint and it will go away

It just a scratch, that you find on a everyday car.

Exactly! Which is why I don't understand why they were surprised to see it... :confused:

My husband and I were on the Liberty last week and we were positioned next to the Breeze in both Miami and Nassau (what a beautiful ship...I definitely want to book a cruise on it at some point!).

We noticed a large area that appeared to be rusted or have some other type of surface damage. I'm sure it's nothing threatening or they would have repaired it already, but we were very surprised to see such significant wear on a ship that was just over 9 months old.

Thanks for the heads up. We sail on Breeze in a couple weeks, I'm sure it's nothing serious.

Could be rust seepage ,salt water will do that even to a new ship.

As soon as new hits salt water, it's old.

I sailed on the maiden Splendor voyage out of Genoa, she already had surface rust on the hull.

As they say in the Navy, "if it moves salute it, if it doesn't paint it".

Exactly! Which is why I don't understand why they were surprised to see it... :confused:

I just never thought about it being bumper damage. The vertical and horizontal lines looked to me like they were parts of the structure under the painted surface, so I thought it must have been a weak area to start with and the salt was making it wear more quickly. Just never considered that it might have hit a dock.

And it's not like I posted it thinking it was a safety concern...

I just never thought about it being bumper damage. The vertical and horizontal lines looked to me like they were parts of the structure under the painted surface, so I thought it must have been a weak area to start with and the salt was making it wear more quickly. Just never considered that it might have hit a dock.

OK, totally understandable.

And it's not like I posted it thinking it was a safety concern...

I never said nor implied that you did. I was not jumping down your throat about it I just didn't understand why it was surprising to see that on a ship that's all. Not a biggie.

The book I'm reading right now says Carnival typically has 18 people on the ship whose job (10 hours a day) is to do nothing but paint...

Maybe with cut-backs they only have 9 guys to paint and haven't gotten to it yet?

Every port I've been too I've noticed people painting the ship. They spend a huge amount of time and money on that, and I'm guessing most of it is for looks, though I do know the paint protects the hull to some extent. I doubt this is actual damage. But I agree with the OP- it is kind of surprising to see, because stuff like this doesn't usually stay visible. Any scuff we've seen leaving port has been covered by the time we got back.

I'm speaking out of ignorance here, so if someone claims they know better, believe them. But I suspect you are right about the vertical and horizontal lines you see being the outlines of framework bracing the steel hull plates. It's just that whatever pushed against it kind of caved in the steel plates very slightly where it wasn't backed by the framework, thus revealing the outlines of the framework.

I was wondering if it might be the spot the tugs push against it rather than the dock bumper spot.

The book I'm reading right now says Carnival typically has 18 people on the ship whose job (10 hours a day) is to do nothing but paint...

Maybe with cut-backs they only have 9 guys to paint and haven't gotten to it yet?

Every port I've been too I've noticed people painting the ship. They spend a huge amount of time and money on that, and I'm guessing most of it is for looks, though I do know the paint protects the hull to some extent. I doubt this is actual damage. But I agree with the OP- it is kind of surprising to see, because stuff like this doesn't usually stay visible. Any scuff we've seen leaving port has been covered by the time we got back.

Are you reading the Truth about cruise ships by Jay Herring? I'm about half way through it. Great read!

That is not *damage*

It is just where the hull rubbed against the fender at the berth somewhere! All it did saw mar the paint. A common thing

AKK

Are you reading the Truth about cruise ships by Jay Herring? I'm about half way through it. Great read!

Yes- I saw it mentioned yesterday and read it last night. Very fast read, but I won't recommend the book. I wanted a bit more cruise ship info and a bit less about his sex life, though I recognize the title warned me about that. I just didn't think it would be half the book.

The Breeze does have a nice dent on its side. Not sure if that is the place or just bumper marks but we did see the dent in the Med last Sept. According to JH it was from a freak storm in Venice last summer. This was the storm that the ship had to make an emergency break away from the pier during an embarkation. Something bumped into the ship can't remember what. Getting back on the Breeze in two weeks, awesome ship, can't wait.

The Breeze does have a nice dent on its side. Not sure if that is the place or just bumper marks but we did see the dent in the Med last Sept. According to JH it was from a freak storm in Venice last summer. This was the storm that the ship had to make an emergency break away from the pier during an embarkation. Something bumped into the ship can't remember what. Getting back on the Breeze in two weeks, awesome ship, can't wait.

I remember hearing the same story. I saw the Breeze dent while on the TransAtlantic. There is a picture of the dent somewhere here on CC.

Archived