Peso vs US Dollars

ktravis

The only place I have ever found that only took pesos was one government run museum we went to on our own in Cancun. US dollars are the prefered currancy especially by smaller shops and street vendors. Just make sure you have it in smaller bills, nothing over a ten because sometimes they will give you pesos as change with the excuse they don't have enough US. You can argue the point but you will likely loose as the peso is the official currancy. Not great to break a 50 for a 4 dollar trinket and not get US back. I always carry some pesos just in case. We probably have a couple of thousand at home any given day left over from previous trips so I never have to go to the bank and get some. If you do find you need some all Mexican banks will exchange US for you at the offical exchange rates of the day less a small commission. The banks are not normally open weekends though.

Can you still use US dollars in Mexico?

Yes, but you won't get a very good exchange rate and any change they give you legally has to be in pesos so bring small bills. Nothing over a $20. I'd bring $10's or 1$. It all depends upon what you plan to spend. Credit cards are OK in large established businesses for large purchases. Right now the exchange rate is $1 US=12 pesos.

Can you still use US dollars in Mexico?

This is especially true if you are spending multi-days in one country or another. Just did 49 days around South America and yes most places did take US dollars but you did better with the local money especially for small purchases. Just me maybe, but the experience of dealing in a different currency was fun. As it worked out I had very little left over after each country and I simply tossed it in the charity globe on the ship.

When we travel to Mexico (next month we're in Puerto Vallarta, next year PDC and Cancun) we bring pesos from our home bank, we bring US $ to exchange, and have a separate checking and ATM account for use there.

If you're planning to pay in cash more than $50 get pesos at an exchange house, ATM, or bank. You'll need your passport for the bank.

Rates are dropping but currently $12.3:1 is good, our home bank will pay $11:1.

If you can exchange pesos at a home back with no fee that's much easier

For credit cards make sure there is no int'l conversion fee (typically 3% of your purchase). Also be sure to tell your cc you are traveling or they will shut it off.

Our first cruise in 2000 I had to use the cabin phone to call and fix it at $10/minute :eek:

Did you think they had just abandoned their own currency in favor of that of a separate country?

:rolleyes: FYI this means sarcasm. If you put your pointer over the smiley symbol on the right of the message box, a pop up will appear describing the meaning of each smiley.

As long as you are in tourist areas the US dollar is fine. But in non tourist areas better

to bring pesos. Taxis will give you a poor rate. Any govt. office will only take pesos.

Check the rate at each business you are using. They are always posted at the register,

or entrance.

The peso is getting much more valuable. By Christmas it will probably be 11-1 or

even 10-1.

Greg

:rolleyes: FYI this means sarcasm. If you put your pointer over the smiley symbol on the right of the message box, a pop up will appear describing the meaning of each smiley.

Good to know. Still recovering from the person who posted some time ago her sincere outrage that change in Canada was provided in cdn $ rather than US!

Archived