Upcoming 4 Day Pacific Coastal - May 7, 2013

HookedAfterOne

It's been a while since I have had the priviledge of going on a cruise (life has a way of throwing curve balls from time to time), but I am incredibly excited about the 4 Day Pacific Coastal coming up on the Zuiderdam. I wish I was continuing on to Alaska, but not this time.

This will be our first cruise on the Holland America Line and from all the research I have done on these boards, I must say, my expectations are pretty high. I will be traveling with 2 of my sisters, and their spouses, so 6 of us in total. I already know that the four days are going to be too short ... so I am hoping that all of you that are experienced HAL cruisers (even better if you have gone on this specific cruise) can tell me what things onboard I should make an effort NOT to miss ... Do you think it will be worth it to purchase the Thermal suite package on this cruise? I am concerned that since it is so short with mostly days at sea that it will be overcrowded ... and if it's crowded, I think I might rather spend my time doing other things available on board.

Please consider this an open invitation to make ANY suggestions for us ... I love the planning part of things and I know that there is a wealth of knowledge here. We have mostly cruised on Celebrity and Disney before, with a stray Carnival cruise thrown in for good measure.

Thanks in advance ... I appreciate you sharing your thoughts.

Hi, we're on the same cruise. This will be our third time doing this particular cruise out of SD. You may find the spa a little crowded, not quite sure, you may want to do other things. There are plenty of things to do, or maybe you will just enjoy quiet days out on a lounge chair reading. You can stay as busy as you want or not.

You might want to join our roll call, link below.

May 7, 2013-- 4-Day Pacific Coastal cruise - Cruise Critic Message Boards

The number of spa passes is supposed to be limited, so with all that sea time, there should be plenty of opportunity to enjoy the T-pool and heated ceramic loungers.

A "do not miss" as far as I'm concerned is dinner at the Pinnacle Grill one night during your sailing.

Try to make it to the various lounges to listen to the music.

Find time to relax and unwind. There is nothing that compares with waking up in a deck chair when you never realized you wanted to nap!

I was on the Zuiderdam May Coastal last year and purchased a Spa package. The Thermal Spa was not that crowded IMO, so go ahread and book it. Of course, if you go during obvious "off peak" times (such as when there are alot of other activities going on or lunch time), it will be better.

Definitely going to do dinner at the Pinnacle Grill ... if they are open for lunch while we are onboard, I think I may have to do that too ...

Will have to check out the Roll Call ...

Keep those ideas, comments and suggestions coming ... nothing better than being on Cruise Critic while anticipating the sail date ...

As it's a short cruise, do not expect special events. I did one last May from San Diego to Vancouver. There was no Mariner Brunch, though we did eat in the MDR on embarkation day. I enjoyed going to a Mixology class. And yes, be sure to reserve a lunch or dinner in the Pinnacle Grille, very worthwhile! Weather was beautiful leaving San Diego, then water quite rough for the remainder of cruise. We sailed in 8 hours late to Vancouver, people with flights leaving that day were given time on internet or free calls to make necessary arrangements. This was only a 3-night cruise, so you won't have the same problem

I have sailed the Century about 3 times now. It is a nice ship. It is getting old but they have redone it since I have been on it. It is still large in means of ships go. Room are pretty much the same as other ships in the fleet. service and Food with celebrity I find to be excellant. We will have a good time.

My best friend and I are booked on this same cruise - we try to take a 3-4 days vacation together each year to celebrate our birthdays - it's our first time doing a coastal, although we did a 3 nighter awhile ago that just ran up to from Seattle to Vancouver and back and we had the Penthouse Suite!! Too bad it was for such a short period of time....:(

Definitely second the Pinnacle Grill for one evening. Worth the $$.

I love sea days, so to have an entire cruise be only sea days is like manna from heaven for me. We're looking forward to yakking it up while we lounge around all day long. A much-needed and well-deserved short vacay for both of us, especially since I live in California and she lives in Seattle - we don't see each other often enough.

Cheers!

My best friend and I are booked on this same cruise - we try to take a 3-4 days vacation together each year to celebrate our birthdays - it's our first time doing a coastal, although we did a 3 nighter awhile ago that just ran up to from Seattle to Vancouver and back and we had the Penthouse Suite!! Too bad it was for such a short period of time....:(

Definitely second the Pinnacle Grill for one evening. Worth the $$.

I love sea days, so to have an entire cruise be only sea days is like manna from heaven for me. We're looking forward to yakking it up while we lounge around all day long. A much-needed and well-deserved short vacay for both of us, especially since I live in California and she lives in Seattle - we don't see each other often enough.

Cheers!

You and I are totally on the same page ... this cruise is for me and my two sisters (we have lots of other siblings from our parents divorcing and remarrying --- but the three of us are the ORIGINALS ...as we like to say) ... one lives all the way in Florida, while me and my other sister live here in California ... we are going with our spouses, but it will be the first time since we before we were all married that we are getting away TOGETHER without children in tow ... we are looking forward to a lot of yakking it up and lounging around all day! We just might see you there! :)

At least one day go to the Lido at lunchtime and have breadpudding. On some ships the breadpudding is hard to find but it will be there and worth the search.:)

Thank you ... the bread pudding is definitely on my "must do" list ... have heard such wonderful things about it all over these boards!

Archived