Adding to Speculation of Cruise Port for New Builds

Todays Florida Today newspaper covering Brevard County printed an article which says the Chief Executive officer of Port Canaveral wants to attract the largest cruise ships to the port and wants to build a larger terminal to support it. He wants a terminal that is 150,000 square feet and can handle passengers up to 5000 which would make it a third larger than the new one expected to open in less than a year. He said the port has several site options to build it. He will begin talks with the major cruiselines to get buy in which will support the go ahead to build.

Woo Hooo....It is no secret the port is looking to become the largest in Florida. I would love for one of the new RCCL builds to show up or worst case get the Oasis or Allure here.

Todays Florida Today newspaper covering Brevard County printed an article which says the Chief Executive officer of Port Canaveral wants to attract the largest cruise ships to the port and wants to build a larger terminal to support it. He wants a terminal that is 150,000 square feet and can handle passengers up to 5000 which would make it a third larger than the new one expected to open in less than a year. He said the port has several site options to build it. He will begin talks with the major cruiselines to get buy in which will support the go ahead to build.

Woo Hooo....It is no secret the port is looking to become the largest in Florida. I would love for one of the new RCCL builds to show up or worst case get the Oasis or Allure here.

I would LOVE to see this. I have been lamenting our drive to Miami this year since I hate to fly. We can do a drive to port Canaveral in a day if needed vs the more southern ports...this would be so exciting!

Port Canaveral is so convenient with so many flights to Orlando...... 45 minute drive to the port from airport..... More direct flights to Orlando than Ft. Lauderdale (which we love the port). Sounds like a great plan for them!

If they do I would love to see Freedom come to New Orleans. Navigator was there and now it's going to Galveston. To us that's just as far as PC. We love the bigger ships but now they are taking Navigator and leaving Serenade I think. :(:confused:

This is kind of old news. I read about this last year when I sailed on the Monarch of the Seas. The new terminal for Carnival has been completed. I understand that Terminal 10 where Freedom of the Seas and soon to be Enchantment of the Seas is being upgraded and expanded to accomodate a larger ship. Dredging of the channel was underway when I was down there last year. So Port Canaveral is on the upswing for sure. With a 3rd Oasis class ship due in 2016 there is a good chance one of the 3 might move to Port Canaveral.

This is kind of old news. I read about this last year when I sailed on the Monarch of the Seas.

It is new News. Here is the link to the Florida Today article (I thought I posted this yesterday): http://www.floridatoday.com/article/20130412/BUSINESS/304120025/Port-Canaveral-ponders-giant-cruise-terminal-attract-megaships

It is new News. Here is the link to the Florida Today article (I thought I posted this yesterday): http://www.floridatoday.com/article/20130412/BUSINESS/304120025/Port-Canaveral-ponders-giant-cruise-terminal-attract-megaships

Okay. I do stand corrected. That is definitely more than what I had seen previously.... It will be interesting to see what develops.

I would LOVE to see this. I have been lamenting our drive to Miami this year since I hate to fly. We can do a drive to port Canaveral in a day if needed vs the more southern ports...this would be so exciting!

Thats a long day from kentucky. We are in Atlanta and it is 8 hours, which is about as far as I would want to drive. However, I agree that Port Canaveral is a great facility. They had lots of good affordable parking nearby. Embarkation and disembarkation went very smooth. I would definitely sail out of there again.

With a 3rd Oasis class ship due in 2016 there is a good chance one of the 3 might move to Port Canaveral.

but how about Miami , they are making a huge expansion as well and now even disney wants to sail from miami

The notion that PC is easier to get to then port Everglades is insane. Especially when you mentioned driving 45 mins from Orlando. You can literally see the ships from FFL. Not saying PC is bad but its by no means easier to get to.

The notion that PC is easier to get to then port Everglades is insane. Especially when you mentioned driving 45 mins from Orlando. You can literally see the ships from FFL. Not saying PC is bad but its by no means easier to get to.

It's way cheaper for me to get to and that makes it easier for me.

I can take the MegaBus to Orlando for as little as $1 one way, usually more l like $20 or $30 round trip. Then maybe another $100 total roundtrip to get to PC.

To get to FLL the cheapest I've seen round trip flights is $250-$300.

It depends where you are coming from if your driving.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Its expensive taxi/shuttle ride from Orlando to PC. Take into consideration a family for four lets say. I don't see it. I agree, South Florida, specific Port Everglades is so much easier for the passengers to go from FLL to PEV and back.

What you guys have to understand and is RCI policy that Asia is where all the money is from now on.

That's true, but I don't see a new ship over there. The line will put a new ship as close to home as possible.

Adding more to speculation, I see Navigator making an end run to Asia in 2014.

Most of the folks including myself are talking about "driving". If you live north of Palm Beach County Port Canaveral hands down is the easiest port to drive to and also best parking. Outside of terminal 18 in Port Everglades, PC is the the most stress free embarkation and debarkation port. As far as airports go, way cheaper flights to Orlando on a consistant basis. The drive is a straight shot on 528 with very little traffic.

What you guys have to understand and is RCI policy that Asia is where all the money is from now on.

RCCL will never deploy a Brand new big ship to an area like Asia where a smaller older ship that is less desirable to the American market could easily make the same money.

Its expensive taxi/shuttle ride from Orlando to PC. Take into consideration a family for four lets say. I don't see it. I agree, South Florida, specific Port Everglades is so much easier for the passengers to go from FLL to PEV and back.

This.

If flights are involved FFL to PEV is the easiest trip bar none

RCCL will never deploy a Brand new big ship to an area like Asia where a smaller older ship that is less desirable to the American market could easily make the same money.

With the greatest of respect most of the Cruise Companies are not making money.They are giving away most of their cheaper cabins especially in the Caribbean .

With the greatest of respect again stop treating Asians / Australian / Singaporeans etc like we are all peasants.

Once again it is RCCL stated aim to get into Asia. They know where the future is and it is not in the USA .

I just checked their "Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd" financials and they are a joke for the poor shareholder.

I would be flabbergasted if they deployed a new ship to Asia. RCCL is based in Florida and although there is a big interest in Asia, I think the stockholders who I would imagine are primarily Americans would be up in arms over that strategy.

Archived