Weight Loss Pays off with Liberty

canjay95

Last September my dad challenged our family to lose weight. He gave us until April 12 and whoever lost the most body fat percentage would get to pick where we went on vacation and he would pay $50 per pound. We weighed in today and my husband won; he lost 23% of his body weight. I lost 58 pounds for 22% and my mom, dad and sister lost 47 pounds between them- so.... my husband picked the Liberty cruise on August 3rd with the eastern itinerary and we have enough money to pay for all 10 of us to go:)) Yea for hard work!!! Can't wait. Anyone that has any tips for this cruise, please share:)

We had kind of the same thing going at my house :) I was the winner with 49lbs and 26% of my body weight GONE!!! I got to choose the itinerary for our upcoming cruise and finally get to wear a bikini :) Congrats on the weight loss I know how hard it is!

Congrats..Well done its not easy for sure.

We also did the wt loss game, But for more to prepare for the cruise. We started Jan 19th 2013 for our 3/30 cruise. From 1/19 to day we left to start vacation 3/29 I lost 53 lbs . Good news is I only gained 3 lbs on the cruise and already took that off this week.. Im a true fan of Crystal light and Green Coffee beans and my excercise bike....:D

As someone who also lost a lot of weight and then went on a cruise I can tell you that you can have just as much fun on a cruise while eating better just like everyone else. You just can't allow yourself to go back to making a pig of yourself. I lost 3 pounds while cruising and using their gym and I allowed myself a few bites of dessert every evening.

Enjoy your cruise, stay active and don't make it an eating only vacation and you'll do fine. My husband who was on the same cruise and eats like there's no tomorrow gained weight so it is easy to do but then again he didn't hit the fresh fruits and veggies like I did during the day.

I can't help you on the questions you asked about the ship though. I've never been on that one.

Congrats on your weight loss, and your families wt loss also!! As a Elementary Physical Education teacher the childhood obesity epidemic is a major focus of our teaching a healthy lifestyle - and that begins with family support - and your family seems to have tons of that! You asked for hints to "stay healthy" on the cruise - here are some easy ones:

1. use the stairs instead of the elevators! Even on formal nights, take off the heels and up or down you go. Burns more calories than you think!

2. The ship's gym is open at 6 a.m. every morning. Doesn't mean you have

to be there at six - but try to fit in a workout. Even a walk on the deck with your dh does wonders!

3. While there are many food temptations on the ship, there are also many

healthy options. Salads for lunch, stir fried wok (ask them to use water instead of oil to stir fry - it becomes steamed - saves a ton of calories) etc.

4. Indulge yourself a bit - you are on vacation. Know you will put on a few

pounds - a lot of it will be from increased salt intake. It will come right off

when you get back home.

5. Look around you on the ship. I have been shocked at the number of

severly (I'm not talking a few pounds - I am talking a few hundred pounds)

obese passengers onboard my last few cruises. Think about being a role

model - not a follower.

6. Try to stay away from the sugary drinks on Lido deck. (lemonade, juices)

If you want some, try to dilute it with water - they always seem to be too syrupy to me, anyway. Iced tea with artificial sweetener is good. I find the ship's tap water to be fine tasting also.

I hope this helps a bit. Again - congrats

ATTENTION:

All those who are commenting, including the OP, saying they lost weight between X and Y dates are hereinafter required to post HOW they lost the weight so that we can be further inspired! :p

Wowwwww what a great idea, what a wonderful family you have, and to the person who blasted you- you are great at math! Wow! :rolleyes:

Talk. Tell.

Congrats on the weight loss as a family. The key of course is keeping it off. I am on the same cruise. If you see me on the track running be sure to say hi, I will be on it every morning.

ATTENTION:

All those who are commenting, including the OP, saying they lost weight between X and Y dates are hereinafter required to post HOW they lost the weight so that we can be further inspired! :p

Wowwwww what a great idea, what a wonderful family you have, and to the person who blasted you- you are great at math! Wow! :rolleyes:

Talk. Tell.

For me personally, I did a slight to med life change..LOL For the time period I lost me weight I drank NO soda. Just Crystal light,50 Calorie OJ every so often. No Cakes,Just fresh fruit,sugar free jello and yougert for snx. Breakfeast Weaties or Yougert 80 calorie Greek, Lunch usally low cal soup or wraps,eggs under 200 cal, Dinners were actually fun..No White pasta..wheat pastas..NO white potatos swaped to sweet potatoa, lots of chicken,fish,turkey,wheat pasta and NO red chop meats.

Basically, Drinks went from 100% soda to 100% water with Crystal light. Went from Cakes 2 time a day to fresh fruits, Pasta went from Reg to Wheat pastas, Potatos from white potatos to Sweet potatos, Chop meat and sausage all converted to Turkey based,Reg pork sausage to Turkey sausage.. NO salt when cooking. Also tries top include a small salad with lots of meals.

I use to be a huge soda and cake junkie, I also bought a $100 excercise bike at Walkart and did 8-15 miles a day (35min to 1hr time wise)

Yes, I did cheat a LOT while on the cruise..I earned it..LOL I did a few nights double dip at dinner and had desert...My goal when set out was to loose 15-20 pounds..well it turned into fun and felt good so I kept going.

181892_2126854788719_2054818712_n.jpg.94d4a0c0188c67816aead6354c0056ba.jpg

025.jpg.a8ec955d4029371abf27a3ff1c91fbcc.jpg

088.jpg.5d417c574709dc1561237268461f1e9d.jpg

1650810581_ZMax021.jpg.c202cfb0c7ba1292ff9c2808eccae225.jpg

917.jpg.6b07a97e6c9d1e38e7624227b5efabe8.jpg

For me personally, I did a slight to med life change..LOL For the time period I lost me weight I drank NO soda. Just Crystal light,50 Calorie OJ every so often. No Cakes,Just fresh fruit,sugar free jello and yougert for snx. Breakfeast Weaties or Yougert 80 calorie Greek, Lunch usally low cal soup or wraps,eggs under 200 cal, Dinners were actually fun..No White pasta..wheat pastas..NO white potatos swaped to sweet potatoa, lots of chicken,fish,turkey,wheat pasta and NO red chop meats.

Basically, Drinks went from 100% soda to 100% water with Crystal light. Went from Cakes 2 time a day to fresh fruits, Pasta went from Reg to Wheat pastas, Potatos from white potatos to Sweet potatos, Chop meat and sausage all converted to Turkey based,Reg pork sausage to Turkey sausage.. NO salt when cooking. Also tries top include a small salad with lots of meals.

I use to be a huge soda and cake junkie, I also bought a $100 excercise bike at Walkart and did 8-15 miles a day (35min to 1hr time wise)

Yes, I did cheat a LOT while on the cruise..I earned it..LOL I did a few nights double dip at dinner and had desert...My goal when set out was to loose 15-20 pounds..well it turned into fun and felt good so I kept going.

Woo-hoo! Good for you! So basically you followed the conventional wisdom... Gotcha. Well, I joined a gym yesterday so there's hope for me yet! Love those little Greek yogurts, no problem on everything you say, especially your pics, but whole wheat pasta tastes like drywall to me :rolleyes:. Good for you!!!

Woo-hoo! Good for you! So basically you followed the conventional wisdom... Gotcha. Well, I joined a gym yesterday so there's hope for me yet! Love those little Greek yogurts, no problem on everything you say, especially your pics, but whole wheat pasta tastes like drywall to me :rolleyes:. Good for you!!!

I mix a little regular pasta with wheat.

What a great way to lose weight and get healthy! Congratulations to you and your family!

I cruise the Liberty last New Years - it's a great ship. But when I looked at the pictures of myself I was disgusted - I knew I had gained a lot of weight, but seeing it in pictures really hit home! I had a few false starts, but finally about a month ago I went back to weight watchers meetings (I had been doing it online half-heartedly). That was the motivation I needed and I have lost an average of 1.1 pounds per week (I had a gain last week after a larger loss the week before). I've made some adjustments so hopefully I'll lose this week, but I am on track to lose the 20 pound I set as my goal before my next cruise at the end of June. I hope to lose more after that, but 20 is my goal for the cruise.

Archived