Disembarkation in Southampton

ricki

We are sailing on Marina, July 15, 2013 and disembark in Southampton on July 29, 2013. Does anyone have an idea what time we will disembark? We are having a private car pick us up and take us to Dover, so we are not in a rush for a flight.

Thank you!

Ricki

Gail,

You can leave the ship as soon as it is cleared, but predicting what that time will be in advance of arrival is tricky. We usually are staying on in the destination port and so we elect to leave the ship as late as possible and this is not a problem.

But if you need to make a flight from LHR, I would leave as soon as you can. The ship will put out a questionnaire asking you when YOU want to leave, and I would suggest that you put in as early a time as you can.

The problem is really guessing when the ship will be cleared. If you are coming from another UK port it should most likely be that you won't have a delay in clearing customs. If coming from another country's port, there could be a delay. And then there can be travel delays (heavy weather, perhaps). It's really hard to predict.

But you have the transportation time to the airport to consider, as well as check-in delays these days. A noon flight, even if you have a 7am pickup, could be tight. In your situation, I would opt to stay over one night and get the flight the next day. But I realize that isn't always possible.

To the poster who's going from Southampton to Dover, I agree: it will be a lengthy trip, even if by private car! I've never done that route myself ... We've taken the bus from LHR to Dover which took about 4 hours. We've taken a private car to/from London/Dover (central London and LHR) which took about 2 hours.

The one time we took a bus to Southampton from London, my recollection is that it took about 2 hours to get to the ship.

But I've never tried Southampton to Dover or vice versa, which might not be as lengthy as the sum of the parts.

Good luck!

Mura

Archived