Trip Insurance

Pam....I see you are on the Beijing to Whittier cruise next month. A couple of my friends are on that cruise too. Have a great time. Are you going early?
Yes, I am. I'm taking the Princess 3-day hotel/tour/transfer. I fly out the 28th, arriving at the hotel early on the 30th. I've planned it so I have a day free before the tour starts. :) I've been there before but after flying all that way, I want to see and experience China again.

If flights are booked through Princess, doesn't Princess Berkley Care cover the flights also? I just assumed it would, as all was booked at the same time.

YES, Gloria,

When you have purchased the Princess BerkeleyCare, you are covered from the time you walk out your front door until you return to your home.

It's a good deal.

Thanks for asking' date=' Colorado Cruiser. She is doing much better now. The doctor said that her lungs sounded good the day we departed. Additionally, she looked the best that she had looked in the few days prior to that day. Unfortunately it was rainy and cold the day we disembarked along with a large accident on the highway, which in turn delayed our private car service pickup. So, she had to stand in the cold (while on oxygen) for an hour or so. We all huddled around her as much as possible. We flew home to Denver and they left for their house in Greeley. In the middle of the night, she ended up calling the ambulance and going to the hospital. She spent four days in the hospital. The doctor said that her treatment and care on the ship was correct, but it just manifested itself.

Anyway, after four days in the hospital she went home. But it took her about a month or more to get back her energy. I think she realizes that her emphasyia is zapping her energy more and more each day. So, in the grand scheme of it all I'm still glad we went last November. We were supposed to go this coming December, but got such an awesome deal and everything fell into place that we went last year. I think the good Lord was tapping me on the shoulder to go last year. :) Mom thinks her cruising days are probably over...too much hassle she says to get everything in order and she doesn't feel like getting off the ship. She's cruised quite a few times and is happy with having done all her trips and especially this last one that allowed her to complete her bucket list of visiting all 50 states!!!

I am glad to hear about the Berkley care from Princess. I didn't realize it covered those kind of expenses either. We've usually chosen to use a third party because we have airfares, pre and post cruise expenses (especially when going overseas), but this is good to know. Thanks for sharing.

I really started making sure that we had insurance after my travel agent went to Australia for a cruise and ended up with a pulmanary embolism after getting off the flight in Sydney! She was delayed in catching the ship due to a hosptial stay and they paid for everything. Also, after reading about Pam's BIL's experience....that sealed the deal for me.

I love these boards. The cruisers over on the Disablitity board were so incrediblly helpful in getting me for this last trip. You all are wonderful!!!![/quote']

Glad to hear she has stabilized. Hope her health remains stable for a long time. :)

Hi All. Often here about the cost of insurance, in the UK insurance is cheap, around 30p to 50p per day. What does a 12 month policy cost as an average in US? yours Shogun

SHO,

You know that the Bangsters and Insurance companies especially love to punish the Brits and over-charge them.

I know that in the U.K. (as in Oz) U must purchase your insurance yearly; however, in the U.S.A., we purchase our Travel Insurance by the Trip. It is a percentage of the cost of the cabin. I used to have the MedJet Assist, which only pays for your Cold Dead Body to be flown back to your house (or your kids' house). OR, fly U to a hospital anywhere on this planet. However, it got to be nearly $400 a year (pay for this by the year) and I thought it too much money for only cruising once a year.

YES, Gloria,

When you have purchased the Princess BerkeleyCare, you are covered from the time you walk out your front door until you return to your home.

It's a good deal.

I'm confused because I was told Princess insurance only covers you during the cruise. Is it maybe because airfare is not purchased thru Princess? What are the amounts of coverage for medical expenses and med vac? Thanks for any help!

We have only purchased insurance once and, as it happened, we did have to cancel our cruise. We actually flew down to the embarkation point, but I then got sick and knew I couldn't make the cruise. After I got home, my doc filled out the paper work, we sent it in and were paid quickly, no questions asked.

I guess in the past we have been really lucky, but I will think much more seriously about insurance in the future.

We've never purchased the insurance before either but our next cruise is to Tahiti and the cost is just too great not to insure it..

I've seen mention in another thread (I think it was Pam) that said you can buy additional insurance to get flown home to your hospital if you are sick.

I guess most insurances only cover transportation to the nearest capable facility..

Does anyone know about this?

We've never purchased the insurance before either but our next cruise is to Tahiti and the cost is just too great not to insure it..

I've seen mention in another thread (I think it was Pam) that said you can buy additional insurance to get flown home to your hospital if you are sick.

I guess most insurances only cover transportation to the nearest capable facility..

Does anyone know about this?

I googled MedJet Assist and found the insurance for the transportation. Seems extremely reasonable especially considering you are going all the way to Taihti.

I googled MedJet Assist and found the insurance for the transportation. Seems extremely reasonable especially considering you are going all the way to Taihti.

ALSO ... if you are of that certain age where you are eligible to join AARP, and you do so before joining MedJet Assist, the membership fee is discounted.

The correct procedure for retired military (under medicare and TFL) for submitting medical claims for out of country claims not covered my Medicare is to submit to TRICARE OVERSEAS where it is covered less deductables and co-pays by TRICARE STANDARD, after they make their payment submit to VACATION PROTECTION where they will pay any unreinbursed costs. TRICARE FOR LIFE is not included in the proper procedure for coverage. Found this out while waiting for TFL to reply and happened upon an article in NAVY TIMES that explained the correct way to submit this type of claim. We have been reimbursed 100% for all costs related with my wife's broken ankle while on a 32 day cruise.

The correct procedure for retired military (under medicare and TFL) for submitting medical claims for out of country claims not covered my Medicare is to submit to TRICARE OVERSEAS where it is covered less deductables and co-pays by TRICARE STANDARD, after they make their payment submit to VACATION PROTECTION where they will pay any unreinbursed costs. TRICARE FOR LIFE is not included in the proper procedure for coverage. Found this out while waiting for TFL to reply and happened upon an article in NAVY TIMES that explained the correct way to submit this type of claim. We have been reimbursed 100% for all costs related with my wife's broken ankle while on a 32 day cruise.

Thanks for that info dicksue. Definitely applicable if I should need it. And - just confirming "out of country" includes anytime we're on the ship, correct? (I'm thinking of an Alaska cruise here for example - you're "out of country " on the ship in between say Juneau and Ketchhikan even though you're in US Waters??)

The ship is out of country when beyond the 3 mile limits. Any costs incurred onboard the ship while in US waters is via medicare, and filed the regular way. We were in the MED and crossing the atlantic and all costs were allowable while on the Crown. I believe that TRICARE should inform all retired military of the correct procedure and what benefits you are entitled to receive. Before this last trip I asked several others that were retired miltary and they all had different opinions. Was glad that the NAVY TIMES article cleared it up for me.

YES, Gloria,

It's a good deal.

Now you have me thinking... we don't fly down to Fort Lauderdale, we drive. (don't ask) So if something happened on the way down that would delay our making the ship - are we covered??

ALSO ... if you are of that certain age where you are eligible to join AARP, and you do so before joining MedJet Assist, the membership fee is discounted.

Thanks for the tidbit...see another reason I love these boards. I'm not of that certain age but my hubby is. So, will remember that before our next crusie!!!

That is what happened to us also. Did not realize we neded to submit my claim to Tricare Overseas rather than Tricare Standard for care I received on the Ruby a few years ago. Once we got it to the right area the claim was fully paid for care on the ship. Then Tricare Standard kicked in and paid Jackson Memorial in Miami where I went (airlifted from Turks and Caicos) to have surgery and spend 16 days recovering. Berkley Care reimbursed us for everything but about 350 to 500 dollars total. Berkley was great and took care of my husband while in Miami as far as a reserved room at the Marriot and checking with him daily to see if he needed anything. We can't say enough good things about Berkley and Princess. Don't leave home without it!!!!

Thanks for posting this. Coincidentally, I've been dealing with this just today. If you already have a Tricare account online, you must set up a separate one at Tricare-overseas.com to handle claims from medical service on a cruise.

Now you have me thinking... we don't fly down to Fort Lauderdale, we drive. (don't ask) So if something happened on the way down that would delay our making the ship - are we covered??

Yes.You would either get a refund or a credit for the cost of the cruise depending on which level you purchased from Princess or another carrier.:D

Archived