How does Unlimited Soda Package work?

So this August I'll be going on my first cruise aboard the Oasis of the Seas. I am going with my girlfriend and 2 other friends. We will have separate rooms, and from what I've read, if I get the soda package, my girlfriend would have to as well. I wouldn't mind getting it, because I think I will be drinking a lot, but my girlfriend does not.

My question is; is it possible to give the cup to my friends to use, because from what I've read on CC, the chip is in the cup, even though we get a sticker or something on the seapass as well? Correct me if I'm wrong!

I always get the soda package and my husband, in the same cabin, never has. They give you the cup with the chip that you, or anyone using the cup, can use on the dispenser machines...there is no one monitoring the machines. Also, you can also get soda from any of the bars, and you don't need your cup for that, but you will need to show your card with the sticker or the imprint on it.

On our last cruise we spent enough time on the ship (29 days) that most of the bartenders and the servers at the Starbucks got to know me and my husband so I didn't have to show my card and if my husband ran to get me a soda they didn't ask to see my card, even though he would take it just in case.

Interesting...and surprised RCI would not have some kind of monitoring of this revenue $$$...So one soda package could quench the thirst of many ;)

I am going to wait to become a thief and cheater until the payoff is a little more than $2. :D

So this August I'll be going on my first cruise aboard the Oasis of the Seas. I am going with my girlfriend and 2 other friends. We will have separate rooms, and from what I've read, if I get the soda package, my girlfriend would have to as well. I wouldn't mind getting it, because I think I will be drinking a lot, but my girlfriend does not.

My question is; is it possible to give the cup to my friends to use, because from what I've read on CC, the chip is in the cup, even though we get a sticker or something on the seapass as well? Correct me if I'm wrong!

The soda package can be purchased by just one person in the cabin. It is the alcohol packages that all 21 and over must purchase if anyone in the cabin gets one. So, you will be fine just getting it for yourself.

As for giving your friend the cup to use you can, however, the package is PER PERSON, not per cabin. Sharing of the package is what has caused the need for all in the cabin to purchase. Since soda isn't as big of a cost as alcohol they haven't gone that route. Whether you share your package is up to you and your morals.

Are the chip cup soda packages only on Oasis and Allure or is it like that on all the ships. Or do the rest of the ships only have access to soda at the bar?

I believe the cups are for the freestyle machines. So whichever cruises have those machines would use those kind of cups.

We got cups on all the ships we have been on but only on the Freedom did they have a soda machine by the pool. At the time we were on the Freedom the machine used the cups with the chips but it wasn't one of those Freestyle machines, just a regular Machine with a few choices.

You are absolutely correct - IF only YOU are using the cup. However, and I quote "Hubby and I will just share" would lead one to believe that you plan to purchase only ONE soda package and TWO people will use it. Duh.

This is precisely why all people over 21 in a cabin must purchase the alcohol package - cheats.[/

Thanks for your insight. We will have fun "sharing"

You are absolutely correct - IF only YOU are using the cup. However, and I quote "Hubby and I will just share" would lead one to believe that you plan to purchase only ONE soda package and TWO people will use it. Duh.

This is precisely why all people over 21 in a cabin must purchase the alcohol package - cheats.[/

Thanks for your insight. We will have fun "sharing"

Just wanted you to know I also "share". I don't really drink soda so I will have 1 or 2 sips from his on occasion. Gee when I buy a drink if he wants a sip I let him.

And to answer you inquiry, nope the cup can't ship hop.

Ok. I'll just do what I feel is appropriate for MY situation, and you do what's best for you. We'll just leave it at that. My morals are just fine, thanks.

If you read the post above, you have the answer. If one adult in a cabin buys the soft drink package the others must as well.

We have a different solution. We always fly or drive to a port the day before and we go to a store and buy 2 two liters and a six pack of coke zero bottles and a six pack of bottled water at a store near our port hotel . We take an extra bag with us with our microfiber towels in it and put the drinks in and tag in to go onto the ship. We take two mugs from home for around the pool. We spend about ten bucks and have all the soft drink we want. I think 50 for even one card is ridiculous.

If you read the post above, you have the answer. If one adult in a cabin buys the soft drink package the others must as well.

We have a different solution. We always fly or drive to a port the day before and we go to a store and buy 2 two liters and a six pack of coke zero bottles and a six pack of bottled water at a store near our port hotel . We take an extra bag with us with our microfiber towels in it and put the drinks in and tag in to go onto the ship. We take two mugs from home for around the pool. We spend about ten bucks and have all the soft drink we want. I think 50 for even one card is ridiculous.

Sorry..but I don't think who or how many are in your cabin "must" also purchase the soda package.. Unlike the alcohol package that requires everyone in your cabin over age 21 to purchase it.

Sounds like you have no worries with your sodas...all figured out inadvance :)

I believe there is something built into the machine that only allows you to refill once every 10 minutes.

I've heard other people report it's 15 minutes, but on my last cruise, there was NO time limit. I filled up twice before these times when I was super thirsty (and no, that's not code for me sharing...I actually was parched!)

Sorry..but I don't think who or how many are in your cabin "must" also purchase the soda package.. Unlike the alcohol package that requires everyone in your cabin over age 21 to purchase it.

Sounds like you have no worries with your sodas...all figured out inadvance :)

You are right on the soda one. I was thinking about the alcohol one.

We just take our own, and have the beverage steward remove the drinks and snacks from the refrigerator and we put ours in there.

Get a life, lol. If this is the biggest thing in anyone's day, you are blessed. Thank God if this is the biggest worry you have.

We have a five year old grandchild who has been through so much in her little life. Five open heart surgeries, brain shunt, revision, and then replacement three weeks ago. She's autistic and has a crappy immune system requiring immune globulin every four weeks.

Please focus on the important things in life. A coke cup isn't even on my top one million list of important things in life.

Seriously, just consider taking your drinks. You'll save a lot of money. I even took peach tea drink straws for my bottled water. RC doesn't care if you bring cokes and water on.

We might just do that. There are refrigerators in our room ,, but we r flying in that day. I guess we will see. I'll be praying for your grandchild!:)