Do I Really Need All That "Junk"?

Calkacky

As others have said, everyone's needs are different.

I wouldn't travel anywhere without my small 'medical bag' which contains plasters (bandaids), blister dressings and a small tube of antiseptic. Also a tiny dental kit (we have more than once had problems with lost fillings on vacation). Some 'over-the-counter medication such as paracetamol (acetaminophen), antacids and loperamide, antihistamines and loperamide. All of these will be a small strip of medication (most medication in Europe comes in blister packs not loose in bottles) or the smallest available tube. All of this, and more stuff, fits into a washbag we got free when our luggage failed to travel with us, it's ideal as it has a clear pocket for the dressings and loops to hold the tubes and more pockets to hold the strips of tablets.

We do take a pop-up laundry hamper. I can see why a rubbish sack would work just as well for most people, but most family members have significant coordination problems, so giving them a 'firm' target to aim for is a big help!

DH is a bit of a gadget geek, so for us the power-strip is essential, if he wasn't it wouldn't be LOL!

I take one of those tiny matchbox-sized hotel-issued sewing kits, and on the QM2 it saved the night with a temporary repair when a strap on my only pair of heeled sandals (when I was going to be wearing very long evening trousers) broke on a formal night! Although it's difficult to sew through leather with a needle which is designed for sewing buttons it is possible as long as you stick to the original stitch holes LOL!

As DH and I are both very 'visually challenged' and would be in serious trouble without our 'best' spectacles, one of those tiny (again, about matchbook sized) glasses repair kits is really useful - which reminds me that I must locate ours before the next cruise.

A flashlight is also useful, and would be good in an emergency, but I tend to rely on the flashlight on my phone (switched to airplane mode) for this.

So, as I said, each to their own. I know that some things I regard as essential or very useful would be unnecessary for others. And some things they cannot travel without would be completely superfluous for me.

I do take a small bottle of Downy Wrinkle Release, and an assortment of OTC meds, just incase. I have not needed the meds but better safe than sorry:) If I need to get up early, I just use the cabin phone to arrange a wake up call. Also, I have found it useful to bring individual packets of wet wipes for in port where bathroom facilities may be a bit lacking:eek:

We bring basic & prescription meds, a travel packs of wet wipes and antibacterial gel, sun screen (depending on the cruise), extension cord with multiple sockets(both DH and I bring laptops, iStuff, cameras, etc), a night light, a few 3 in 1 laundry sheets (on longer cruises) and a fabric bag that I can use as a tote for shore excurstions or as a bag for laundry. We have those compression bags to pack our clothes, so when we're onboard, I just throw dirty clothes I'm not washing onboard into those bags as we go, it also saves time packing on our last day.

For our last cruise, DH wanted me to find a travel fan to bring for white noise in our stateroom when we're sleeping, but instead I found a white noise app for my iPhone, far cheaper and takes up no space. He found a miniture speaker that's about 2 inches long for my phone. I always keep my phone on airplane mode so I don't incur any charges.

I always have a pocket flashlight in my purse, so its not necessary to put it on the list.

You'll always have something you'll look at at the end of the cruise and go "I really didn't need to bring that", so there's a learning curve despite all the useful advice you'll get. All the more reason to cruise more, practice makes perfect :D.

OK, a bit off-topic here, but several posters have mentioned taking Downy Wrinkle Remover, which is not available here. However, I've just looked again and found Grandma's Secret Wrinkle Remover, which is made in the USA. Does anyone have any experience of this? Is is (nearly) as good as Downy? Interestingly the 8 oz bottle is very little more than the 3 oz bottle, but I would just get the small one for travel, I think.

My DH has a carry on bag already full of all the meds you can think of. I make fun of him but he tells me when I get a bee sting, I'll be glad he has his medical bag!:eek:

As others have said, everyone's needs are different.

I wouldn't travel anywhere without my small 'medical bag' which contains plasters (bandaids), blister dressings and a small tube of antiseptic. Also a tiny dental kit (we have more than once had problems with lost fillings on vacation). Some 'over-the-counter medication such as paracetamol (acetaminophen), antacids and loperamide, antihistamines and loperamide. All of these will be a small strip of medication (most medication in Europe comes in blister packs not loose in bottles) or the smallest available tube. All of this, and more stuff, fits into a washbag we got free when our luggage failed to travel with us, it's ideal as it has a clear pocket for the dressings and loops to hold the tubes and more pockets to hold the strips of tablets.

We do take a pop-up laundry hamper. I can see why a rubbish sack would work just as well for most people, but most family members have significant coordination problems, so giving them a 'firm' target to aim for is a big help!

DH is a bit of a gadget geek, so for us the power-strip is essential, if he wasn't it wouldn't be LOL!

I take one of those tiny matchbox-sized hotel-issued sewing kits, and on the QM2 it saved the night with a temporary repair when a strap on my only pair of heeled sandals (when I was going to be wearing very long evening trousers) broke on a formal night! Although it's difficult to sew through leather with a needle which is designed for sewing buttons it is possible as long as you stick to the original stitch holes LOL!

As DH and I are both very 'visually challenged' and would be in serious trouble without our 'best' spectacles, one of those tiny (again, about matchbook sized) glasses repair kits is really useful - which reminds me that I must locate ours before the next cruise.

A flashlight is also useful, and would be good in an emergency, but I tend to rely on the flashlight on my phone (switched to airplane mode) for this.

So, as I said, each to their own. I know that some things I regard as essential or very useful would be unnecessary for others. And some things they cannot travel without would be completely superfluous for me.

We have never taken any of those "must take items" with us and can honestly tell you we have never missed not taking them. I can also tell you that we have absolutely no plans of taking any of them in the future! Pack your clothes, hopes and dreams and leave your problems and junk at home. Enjoy your first cruise!!!

OK, a bit off-topic here, but several posters have mentioned taking Downy Wrinkle Remover, which is not available here. However, I've just looked again and found Grandma's Secret Wrinkle Remover, which is made in the USA. Does anyone have any experience of this? Is is (nearly) as good as Downy? Interestingly the 8 oz bottle is very little more than the 3 oz bottle, but I would just get the small one for travel, I think.
I don't know anything about Grandma's, but do you have liquid fabric softener there?

If so, you can mix liquid fabric softener half-and-half with water in a small spray bottle and it works just as well as any commercial wrinkle release product.

I have a whole list of "junk" that I take because it makes my trip easier and more enjoyable. However, if you think about the things that are actually on the "junk" list they are all very small items and collectively it all takes up very little space. Everything my DH and I take that isn't clothing fits into our one shared carry on bag.

Small flashlights (one each), first aid kit (doesn't have to be huge, but it's really handy to have a few basics), small roll of duct tape (saved our butts when the airline ripped our new suitcase on the first leg of a 3 week trip), ziploc bags (fill with ice for both keeping drinks cold on shore and for applying to little aches and pains; also good for stashing this and that, including meds), sometimes a heating pad (depends on hubbby's back and shoulder), deck of cards for travel to and from. That's about it. None of the other stuff.

beachchick

I think if you really needed duct tape for a quick fix, the Maintenance Dept. will provide some for you. Clothes pins, duct tape, hampers, over the door thingies, surge protectors, cabin decorations....really???????

I think if you really needed duct tape for a quick fix, the Maintenance Dept. will provide some for you. Clothes pins, duct tape, hampers, over the door thingies, surge protectors, cabin decorations....really???????

Possibly. But when you're leaving the airport with a busted open suitcase, it's better to have a small roll at hand. We filed a claim while still at the airport, but they wanted to "replace" our new suitcase with one they happened to have that wasn't new, the same size, or the same brand. No thanks, we'll manage. We did get a cash settlement to buy a matching replacement when we got home.

I forgot to mention on our list that we also bring hand wipes to use instead of the horrid drippy alcohol goo, which doesn't kill everything anyway. We also bring our own pillows (one each) because we sleep better on them.

beachchick

If you're on a ship that has only one outlet you'll appreciate the surge protector/multi outlet thingy when you want to charge your camera batteries and your spouse is already charging the cell phone.

Most of the "list" stuff suggested, at least, is very small and packable. Cabin decorations? I've never heard of that. Do people bring cabin decorations?

Archived