New Cagney's Menu

Tideone

Why has NCL pulled the new menu from its website under each ship---- the sample menu for Cagneys is the old menu????---I hope they will go back to old real steakhouse menu-

why call it a steakhouse with only 3 cuts: filet, strip, and rib eye--this is not a steak house.

BG

Just called NCL, they did not know OLD menu was back on website, who's on 1st?

We ate at East Meets West (Sun's version of Cagney"s) last week.

The appetizers were horrid. Do NOT order the lump crab salad. First of all it is not lump crab. It is not even crab pieces. It is more like canned tuna with too much mayo added. If anything they waved a crab over the dish - that's the closest a crab got to it. The caesar's tortilla salad was odd.

The main course was very good. I had a five oz filet that was cooked perfectly

Of the three specialty restaurants we ate at, I thought the value was missing at the steak house. The Chef's Table was the most expensive at $89 pp and it was awesome.

I hope to do a more through review of the specialty restaurants and the Chef's Table soon.

Edited by MS52

I will not eat at Cagney's until they bring the old menu back. Want get my money!

Wanda

Don't hold your breath. One thing in this world we can count on is change. We have two choices embrace it or let it frustrate us. Cagney's menu will change again but it will never go back to the old menu.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

Edited by time2cruise1

Don't hold your breath. One thing in this world we can count on is change. We have two choices embrace it or let it frustrate us. Cagney's menu will change again but it will never go back to the old menu.

Three choices as I see it..... Embrace it, let it frustrate us or not support the change.

If the change is not supported by NCL customers, the new menu will die or the restaurant will.

I tried it. I will never go back unless there is a change for the better.

Edited by MS52

Three choices as I see it..... Embrace it, let it frustrate us or not support the change.

If the change is not supported by NCL customers, the new menu will die or the restaurant will.

I tried it. I will never go back unless there is a change for the better.

That's where we were with the old menu and cuts of Angus. If they go back I know at least 14 people that will not return. We all tried the new menu and and other then one Filet (same old non angus) that was slightly over cooked everyone thought it was a huge improvement from the last 2 years. Now Cagney's of 2004 with live main lobster and excellent quality beef I would love to return to.

I can't understand why anyone misses the frozen oysters often served still cold in the center. ;)

I never had a frozen oyster anytime I ordered them on NCL. They were always piping HOT.

NCL just posted on Facebook:

Have you dined in our signature steakhouse, Cagney's? If so, what was your favorite dish?

Now's the perfect time to give feedback about the menu and any favorites that are gone.

In fact you had a frozen oyster every-time you ordered them no matter how hot. ;)

In this day and time, most seafood you get is going to be frozen, unless you live next to the water.

In this day and time, most seafood you get is going to be frozen, unless you live next to the water.

True. Even if you live near the water, some of the fish are caught far out and frozen for the trip back in. Or frozen for the trip from the "farm" to the store.

And there's really no such thing as "fresh pork" in the US. USDA, to reduce the incidence of trych (which is killed by freezing pork solid), REQUIRES that all pork spend several weeks (3, I believe) frozen before it can be sold to stores. It's only "fresh" because it's not currently frozen. :rolleyes:

DML

True. Even if you live near the water, some of the fish are caught far out and frozen for the trip back in. Or frozen for the trip from the "farm" to the store.

And there's really no such thing as "fresh pork" in the US. USDA, to reduce the incidence of trych (which is killed by freezing pork solid), REQUIRES that all pork spend several weeks (3, I believe) frozen before it can be sold to stores. It's only "fresh" because it's not currently frozen. :rolleyes:

DML

Not so. Per US government regulations, fresh pork intended to be cooked at home by consumers or in restaurants (such as pork chops and roasts) does not have to be frozen or otherwise specially treated. The freezing requirement applies only to pork that will be used for certain processed products.

Here's the regulation, and the appropriate paragraph:

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2012-title9-vol2/pdf/CFR-2012-title9-vol2-sec318-10.pdf

§ 318.10 Prescribed treatment of pork

and products containing pork to destroy

trichinae.

(a)(1) All forms of fresh pork, including

fresh unsmoked sausage containing

pork muscle tissue, and pork such as

bacon and jowls, other than those covered

by paragraph (b) of this section,

are classed as products that are customarily

well cooked in the home or

elsewhere before being served to the

consumer. Therefore, the treatment of

such products for the destruction of

trichinae is not required.

Edited by njhorseman

Not so. Per US government regulations, fresh pork intended to be cooked at home by consumers or in restaurants (such as pork chops and roasts) does not have to be frozen or otherwise specially treated. The freezing requirement applies only to pork that will be used for certain processed products.

I wonder when that was decided. My information came from a chef, and they were taught that it was required by USDA for all pork products. Of course, that WAS 15 years ago, so the USDA may have changed that in between, as new testing became available instead. Thanks for the update.

DML

From reading through these comments, I think that Cagney's will have lots of availability for seating

Well, that will be great for me. I plan on eating there twice during my November cruise. I'll report back, if they are full or not.

Well, that will be great for me. I plan on eating there twice during my November cruise. I'll report back, if they are full or not.

When we ate there last week, they were no where near to being full. Maybe operating at 30% the evening we were there.

I wonder when that was decided. My information came from a chef, and they were taught that it was required by USDA for all pork products. Of course, that WAS 15 years ago, so the USDA may have changed that in between, as new testing became available instead. Thanks for the update.

DML

My recollection is that was no more true 15 years ago than it is today...in fact my recollection is that it was never true. I suspect the chef you spoke to was misinformed or misunderstood something. Regulations governing what pigs could be fed were implemented in the 1950's and 60's. Those regulations and better education of consumers on cooking techniques eliminated much of the risk of trichinosis in the US.