New Cagney's Menu

Tideone

This is certainly not a pub menu but is very consistent with what major high end steakhouses are doing now. This menu isn't dissimilar from what the newest Vegas steakhouses operated by the celebrity chefs are doing. In fact the biggest differences I see between the newly opened Gordon Ramsay steak (yes, I've eaten there) and Cagneys is 1. Meat quality , GS steak serves only prime and we are not sure just how high or low the selections will be at Cagneys. 2. Price, GS steak set us back $250 for just apps, entree and sides. Cagneys will be $60 for two including apps(more than one if you like), soup(more than one if you like), salad(more than one if you like), entree, dessert(more than one if you like)

Now, GS Steak was simply amazing but at that price it should be I'm willing to wager the Cagneys steaks will be in the very good range which with every thing else your getting makes it more than worth the money. Life would be boring without a little change.

Anyway, they will be getting my $60 in August on the Breakaway.

Have to agree with you and I'll be eating at Cagney's a couple of times on my November cruise.

One of my favorite steak restaurants is Manny's in Minneapolis. It is around $150 to $200 for two. The meat quality is not the same at Cagney's, but is worth the price for what you get.

This is certainly not a pub menu but is very consistent with what major high end steakhouses are doing now. This menu isn't dissimilar from what the newest Vegas steakhouses operated by the celebrity chefs are doing. In fact the biggest differences I see between the newly opened Gordon Ramsay steak (yes, I've eaten there) and Cagneys is 1. Meat quality , GS steak serves only prime and we are not sure just how high or low the selections will be at Cagneys. 2. Price, GS steak set us back $250 for just apps, entree and sides. Cagneys will be $60 for two including apps(more than one if you like), soup(more than one if you like), salad(more than one if you like), entree, dessert(more than one if you like)

Now, GS Steak was simply amazing but at that price it should be I'm willing to wager the Cagneys steaks will be in the very good range which with every thing else your getting makes it more than worth the money. Life would be boring without a little change.

Anyway, they will be getting my $60 in August on the Breakaway.

Cagney's did not change their steaks--in fact they have less of a choice--I have eaten at Cagney's many times and have seen a gradual decrease in quality while increasing the price. I looked at Gordon Ramsey steakhouse menu which in no way compares to Cagney's---you are way off base in comparing the two. Cagney's new menu no way comes close to a high end seat house in where in the US.

BG

I'd venture that steaks at Cagney's are similar in quality to mid-range chain steakhouses in the states... Outback, Longhorn, etc... (not approaching Ruth's Chris or other places offering Prime grade beef).

It is what it is. It certainly is a step up from what you'll find in the MDR, but then that's not typically difficult to do!

We'll give it a try one night on the Breakaway in September.

Tom

Cagney's did not change their steaks--in fact they have less of a choice--I have eaten at Cagney's many times and have seen a gradual decrease in quality while increasing the price. I looked at Gordon Ramsey steakhouse menu which in no way compares to Cagney's---you are way off base in comparing the two. Cagney's new menu no way comes close to a high end seat house in where in the US.

BG

Nobody said they are anything like the steaks in a high end steak house in the states and it does not cost $150 to eat there with sides costing $10. But in fact they have changed the steaks and the supplier for the better. Not as many but better quality then the last 3 years.

Sent from my iPhone - Jim

Nobody said they are anything like the steaks in a high end steak house in the states and it does not cost $150 to eat there with sides costing $10. But in fact they have changed the steaks and the supplier for the better. Not as many but better quality then the last 3 years.

takes more than steaks to make an upscale steakhouse-- proof will be in the taste and quality===lets see what the reports are--as far as appetizers--i think they really missed the boat with no crab cakes or crab legs.a traditional ceasar salad would be nice--along with sauteed mushrooms not oven roasted and cream spinach or steamed asparagus--the portabella mushroom stuffed with crab and cheese was outstanding but gone.

soups---split pea give me a break--I never seen a steakhouse with that on the menu???? if someone has ---where????

Bg.

BG

Here's my issue. They dumbed down the menu and increased the price. I can get out of a similar quality steakhouse on land for this price. In the past, it's been a value compared that experience. Not any more.

I've already paid NCL for the cost of a meal in the buffet or MDR. Yet they want to increase the price for a lesser experience. And Cagney's doesn't even come close to the steakhouse experience on Carnival, in my opinion. And I'm definitely no Carnival cheerleader. NCL needs to rethink their approach. Cagney's was already sagging in terms of the number of passengers reserving. I certainly don't see this as an improvement, more as a gouge the passengers approach by giving us less for more money.

Ncl "gave" me cagneys for my 5/5/13 sailing. I have also eaten at the high end steak house at both paris and Caesars, which I think was Gordon Ramsey's , along with Ruth crist. So when I get back on 5/14 I will post my impressions on the new menu. Just don 't flame me when I post my thoughts because is am telling you all up front I am a picky eater.

And I ate at the steak house on carnival splendor last fall too. Was not impressed by either food or service.

Ncl "gave" me cagneys for my 5/5/13 sailing. I have also eaten at the high end steak house at both paris and Caesars, which I think was Gordon Ramsey's , along with Ruth crist. So when I get back on 5/14 I will post my impressions on the new menu. Just don 't flame me when I post my thoughts because is am telling you all up front I am a picky eater.

And I ate at the steak house on carnival splendor last fall too. Was not impressed by either food or service.

Out of 50-60 trips to Carnival steakhouses, there have been a few that were less than impressive. Overall though, we've been quite pleased.

We've dined at relatively high end places as well (Prime @ Bellagio, Ruth's Chris, Bern's, etc...) and felt that Carnival compared favorably to them!

I hope that our previous Cagney's experiences (4 as I recall) all were outliers, and that we are pleasantly surprised on our Breakaway sailing! (I'll be ordering the Ribeye, M-rare. If we go twice, I'll go for a rare Filet :D)

Did you try the steakhouse on the Caribbean Princess? We were REALLY unimpressed with that place! :eek:

Tom

Edited by Tom-n-Cheryl

Out of 50-60 trips to Carnival steakhouses, there have been a few that were less than impressive. Overall though, we've been quite pleased.

We've dined at relatively high end places as well (Prime @ Bellagio, Ruth's Chris, Bern's, etc...) and felt that Carnival compared favorably to them!

I hope that our previous Cagney's experiences (4 as I recall) all were outliers, and that we are pleasantly surprised on our Breakaway sailing! (I'll be ordering the Ribeye, M-rare. If we go twice, I'll go for a rare Filet :D)

Did you try the steakhouse on the Caribbean Princess? We were REALLY unimpressed with that place! :eek:

Tom

Yes ate at the steakhouse on the Caribbean princess April 12 and that was good.

I'll probably go for the filet rare at cagneys.

I think that Ruth crist in manhattan NYC was probably the best steak I ever ate.

I usually enjoy carnival cruises (been on four) but for some reason the splendor cruise was just bad all around.

Those giving up on Cagneys because of the new menu should reconsider. Currently on the Breakaway and had diner there last night. The new steaks are a100% better then what they were serving the last couple years. Keep in mind the filet is the same non angus they had been serving. The slider app was outstanding but way to much food. I shared with 2 others. Believe it or not a couple folks ordered the chicken legs and loved them. There were 14 of us and only one dissapointed by an over cooked filet. Rid eye bone in was more then I could finish. We proved you could cut the ribeye with a fork. Enjoy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

Those giving up on Cagneys because of the new menu should reconsider. Currently on the Breakaway and had diner there last night. The new steaks are a100% better then what they were serving the last couple years. Keep in mind the filet is the same non angus they had been serving. The slider app was outstanding but way to much food. I shared with 2 others. Believe it or not a couple folks ordered the chicken legs and loved them. There were 14 of us and only one dissapointed by an over cooked filet. Rid eye bone in was more then I could finish. We proved you could cut the ribeye with a fork. Enjoy

If they can bring me a Ribeye that's not tough when cooked M-Rare, I'll be pleased.

THANKS

Tom

One last note. We also ate at Ocean Blue on the one night cruise. I will return to Cagneys long before we will ever return there. Canceled our reservations for 14 tonight. The Raw Bar was very good but very pricey.

One last note. We also ate at Ocean Blue on the one night cruise. I will return to Cagneys long before we will ever return there. Canceled our reservations for 14 tonight. The Raw Bar was very good but very pricey.

Thanks for this heads up...

This change is a bit of a disapointment..I loved the Oysters Rockfeller and the chopped salad and the Lobster with the small Steak...I hope they will not be charging extra for the Breakfast and Lunch for the Suites because if they do I may stop booking a Suite.:eek:

Yum! Glad Cagney's is changing things up.

What we'd probably order (after light salad bar for lunch!):

Beef Short Rib Confit

Wagyu Beef Sliders

The Iceberg Wedge

18 oz. bone in ribeye, au poive butter with chimmichurri side

14 oz New York Strip, gorgonzola crusted

Gratin Potatoes

Mushrooms

Split a Decadent Chocolate Fudge Brownie or Macadamia Nut Ice cream sandwich

Edited by weltek

I ate in Cagney's on the 4/14 NCL Dawn cruise. Was very disappointed. Had the Baked Potato Soup, ordered it with no sour cream, got sour cream. Then I had the 5 ounce filet mignon and the brownie for dessert. No way it was as good as the previous menu. Will not book Cagney's again on future cruises unless they go back to the previous menu. My husband's 8 ounce filet mignon was ordered medium, he got medium rare.

Wanda

I ate in Cagney's on the 4/14 NCL Dawn cruise. Was very disappointed. Had the Baked Potato Soup, ordered it with no sour cream, got sour cream. Then I had the 5 ounce filet mignon and the brownie for dessert. No way it was as good as the previous menu. Will not book Cagney's again on future cruises unless they go back to the previous menu. My husband's 8 ounce filet mignon was ordered medium, he got medium rare.

Wanda

And you got to pay extra for less, what a deal....

Just returned from the Gem April 27 Nassau trip out of New York. I had the 16oz Ribeye and it was the best steak I have had in a long time! It was huge so I am thinking it was larger than 16 oz. Friends we were with had the Filet Mignon. It was disappointingly a very small portion. Tasty but small. Cagney's was $10 when we were on the Dawn in '05. $30 seems overpriced to me. Norwegian may have passed the reasonable price point. When we had dinner Cagney's was less than 50% occupied. Not a good thing.

Norwegian may have passed the reasonable price point. When we had dinner Cagney's was less than 50% occupied. Not a good thing.

+2. They definitely crossed the line of "reasonable" pricing IMHO.

It's one thing to increase the amount from 25 to 30 pp but at the same time they took valuable offerings off the menu like the larger Filet. That is what I always got there and I believed I was still getting my moneys worth.

8 oz Filet now instead, no thanks NCL. Not for 30 pp. Guess my ala carte dines just went down by 1 restaurant.

I'm just off the 4/21 NCL Dawn Repo cruise. I've been disappointed by Cagney's in recent years and had quit eating there. With the promise of improvements we bit, so to speak, and dined again to give them a chance with the new menu. When I read the verbage about Angus beef being a "Cut above" Prime I knew we were in trouble.

I ordered the New York Strip. It was maybe 14oz cut, but it was a bit thin for the rare order I gave them. Thin cuts and rare just don't mix. My dining companion had the small fillet and she had no disappointment with it. Angus Beef is fine, but no way it was prime, and I doubt what I had was even select. I asked the waiter what cut of beef our meal was, and was told "Angus". OK.

My verdict..... The menu isn't any better, it is smaller. Quality wise on par with your standard parking lot steakhouse........

I hope I'm not seeing a trend here. 1st the Italian restaurant was gutted, and the continued deterioration of Cagney's. I hope they don't make "improvement" to Le Bistro.

Just my opinion. Which I also related to NCL on my post cruise survey. I wonder if they ever read the comments or just look at the numbers? I sometimes wonder.