Half Moon Cay question

magandab

I've never paid much attention to threads and comments about HMC because I never expected to go there. Tropical weather vacations aren't my thing; I generally vacation to get away from hot weather.

All that said, it looks like a "bucket list" cruise is on for December - the Sunfarer cruise with a partial transit of the Panama Canal. This includes a stop at HMC.

My question: is there anything to do at HMC other than spend the day at the beach? Shore excursions or the like?

Thanks!

My question: is there anything to do at HMC other than spend the day at the beach? Shore excursions or the like?

There are several shore excursions at HMC. You can go para-sailing, snorkling, horseback riding, jet ski riding. That's just what I can think of without thinking. :rolleyes:

I'm sure others will mention other activities.

HMC is one beautiful beach, though. I love to get there early, when the sun is still behind me, drop my stuff, and walk straight into that tempting blue water until I'm up to my neck in it. :D

Ahhhhh.

I've never paid much attention to threads and comments about HMC because I never expected to go there. Tropical weather vacations aren't my thing; I generally vacation to get away from hot weather.

All that said, it looks like a "bucket list" cruise is on for December - the Sunfarer cruise with a partial transit of the Panama Canal. This includes a stop at HMC.

Thanks!

There area number of shore excursions at HMC. Many are water/sports oriented but there are nature hikes etc

Go to the HAL page, booked guests, excursions and read the offerings.

Hopefully you will find an excursion that appeals to you. There is no "town" to go into to visit but there are a few small shops to roam for 5 or 10 minutes. :)

;) There is always one of the island bars and the barbeque if you don't wish to sit in the sand.

Cruise to Half Moon Cay

While Holland America Line is committed to keeping 98 percent of its pristine private island wild, Half Moon Cay offers everything you need for a day of play on your Caribbean cruise. Park yourself in an air-conditioned cabana along a two-mile crescent of blinding white beach. Visit Stingray Cove to feed and learn more about the gentle creatures. Ride your horse to a deserted beach and into the surf. Or, take your kids to Half Moon Lagoon, island's aqua park and children's playground. Part of the Bahamas, Half Moon Cay lies about 100 miles southeast of Nassau and is visited on nearly every Caribbean itinerary.

Shore Excursion Highlights

Horseback Riding by Land & Sea: Head to the high point of the cay on horseback before a brisk ride in the surf.

Aqua Trax Adventure: Get on a personal watercraft for a tour of the island, then test your skills on an obstacle course.

Deep-Sea Fishing: The waters around the cay teem with wahoo, snapper, grouper and other fish. Catch (and release) them.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would guesstimate probably 75% of visitors use those eight hours as a beach day

Archived