Cannes

gkrnjlr

Is Cannes a place that we could do on our own - just walking around and seeing the sites - very low key day? Or are there sites that should not be missed?

Thanks!

Cannes is a beach town..you can do it on your own.There is a ton of info re Cannes on this board...just read through some of the pages to get a lot of info.

We took this cruise last year and by the time we were done with Italy we were very ready of a low key day and Cannes was perfect for that!

I had bought the Rick Steve's European cruise guidebook which had great "do it yourself" guides and walking tours.

We got off the ship, walked along the shore of high end hotels, the International film center and than sat and had coffee and breads.

Then we headed up a few side streets for some highend shopping and ventured back to the beach area to have wine and lunch on the boardwalk! and watched the wealthly people of Cannes walk and drive by!

We played on the public beach for a few before heading back to the ship, very pretty and clean port.

Is Cannes a place that we could do on our own - just walking around and seeing the sites - very low key day? Or are there sites that should not be missed?

Thanks!

One of the easiest DIY "twofers" on the French Riviera is to take the bus or train to Antibes for a few hours and finish in Cannes.

Thanks!

Yes - easy to do Cannes by yourself and yes easy to incorporate Antibes too. Dont miss Le Suquet, the old part of Cannes and the steep little street full of restaurants and little shops which rises from very close to the harbour. Contrary to popular belief Cannes isnt that expensive and you shouldn't have any problem getting a 3 course meal for around 23 euros

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, Cannes is super easy for do-it-yourselfers! You can walk along the pretty beach, shop in the fancy stores, etc. I wasn't too enthralled with Cannes, it's just nothing too special, but I still had a great time. If you are there when the film festival is going on you can take a look at the red carpet and all of the mega-yachts parked in the harbor. There's also a cool little local farmer's market that is sometimes open, be sure to check it out if it's going on when you are there (especially if you are a foodie).

Very easy to do on your own. We were there last week for a short port day. We strolled along the seaside, wandered through a local art fair/flea market (Cannes style flea market $$$ lol), visited the theater where the red carpet is rolled out for the film festival. My husband did the climb up to the Eglise Notre Dame de l'Esperance church and said the views were gorgeous.

We finished off the day by having the most amazing champagne drink at The Grand Cafe. French champagne, freshly squeezed lemon juice pulp, lime wedge on the rim, a dollop of vanilla ice cream. Ooo la la!

~ Sheryl

Very easy to do on your own, not sure your interests but some of the items to possibly see include Fourville market, Notre Dame Church a couple of museums and of course Napoleon's birth place. We had a nice lunch at a little café called Brasserie Tabac.

Fabulous information! Thank you so much!

If anyone has any pictures I would love to see them!

Also....is it pronounced ""Can" or "Kahn"? And the S is silent, correct?

Thanks!

Are there any hoho buses or tourist trains to take you around cannes?

I do enjoy shopping but not in designer stores, how far from the port is the shopping district that would suit my budget..

G

Don't forget to stop and look at the handprints on the sidewalk of famous stars whose films have been shown at the film festival, they're easy to find near the festival's theater, along the waterfront. We found Cannes to be a pleasant place to spend a few hours, not as exciting as some of our other ports but still had a lot of French ambiance.

Don't forget to stop and look at the handprints on the sidewalk of famous stars whose films have been shown at the film festival, they're easy to find near the festival's theater, along the waterfront. We found Cannes to be a pleasant place to spend a few hours, not as exciting as some of our other ports but still had a lot of French ambiance.

Where is the wall? In a place that cannot be missed or do we need to go find it?

I did a quick search and it looks like the International Film Festival will be taking place while we're there next year!

I wonder if we'll happen to see anyone famous that we will recognize.

Where is the wall? In a place that cannot be missed or do we need to go find it?

I did a quick search and it looks like the International Film Festival will be taking place while we're there next year!

I wonder if we'll happen to see anyone famous that we will recognize.

It's not a wall, the handprints are on the sidewalk with signatures next to them, in front of the buildings near the main theater. There's a pretty cool film festival official souvenir store there, too, very easy to find as you walk along the waterfront towards the beach and hotel area. Take a right as you exit the tender dock and it's very close. There's also a little tourist train that boards not far from the theater, although we didn't try it so I can't give any feedback.

Very easy to do on your own, not sure your interests but some of the items to possibly see include Fourville market, Notre Dame Church a couple of museums and of course Napoleon's birth place. We had a nice lunch at a little café called Brasserie Tabac.

Must be a fraud as we visited Napoleon's birthplace in Ajaccio, Corsica a few years ago when on Adventure

Archived