1st Time for a Balcony - Pro's and Con's

patchofheaven

We are booked on the Conquest in our 1st balcony room for 3 (me, my husband and our 17 yr old son) This will be our 7th cruise with Carnival and we are excited and looking forward having our own balcony, but I know there are always pro's and con's.

One that I'm kind of worried about is being surrounded by smokers. Nothing against smokers in fact we were both smokers and quit about 10 years ago - just don't want to have their 2nd hand smoke ruining our balcony experience.

Also, is there a "better location" to be in? (mid ship, aft or front?) Which deck is best? We received an email today saying we could upgrade to a higher deck for $40 more, we are currently on Empress deck 7.

I agree, Empress Deck about mid to slightly forward or aft is a great location.

I wouldn't worry about smokers. I think with the ship moving and the sea breeze it should disperse it well enough. I have been on cruises as a non-smoker and never had an issue being on the balcony.

My DW is a smoker and I've been on the balcony with her and never really bothered me.

Pros:

We like the Empress deck about 5-10 forward from the aft of the ship.

Pretty stable in rough weather, not much hallway traffic, no elevator noise, quiet above & below the cabin.

Depending on ship you are close to the restaurants & aft pools/hot tubs.

I try to find out which side the ship most often docks at for the majority of ports as we like to watch the pilot boats & dock employees, plus the late dock runners!!:eek:

Cons: could have noisy partying balcony neighbours that are always out there not affording you quiet or personal time ;), long walk to disembark for ports, and you will not want less than a balcony from then on.

Before I started smoking last year, I really didn't notice the smokers that much on the balconies. I only paid attention when a cigar smoker was on the balcony, and it wasn't that big of a deal even when they were in the balcony to my front or left, and I was aft of theirs with the smoke blowing back towards me. Now that I smoke cigars, I'm looking forward to smoking on my balcony, and on the Lanai.

Either way the balcony is well worth it, and you won't want to go back to an IS room.

Happy Sailing!!!!!

We are booked on the Conquest in our 1st balcony room for 3 (me, my husband and our 17 yr old son) This will be our 7th cruise with Carnival and we are excited and looking forward having our own balcony, but I know there are always pro's and con's.

One that I'm kind of worried about is being surrounded by smokers. Nothing against smokers in fact we were both smokers and quit about 10 years ago - just don't want to have their 2nd hand smoke ruining our balcony experience.

Also, is there a "better location" to be in? (mid ship, aft or front?) Which deck is best? We received an email today saying we could upgrade to a higher deck for $40 more, we are currently on Empress deck 7.

We love mid-ship Empress deck. Love my balcony cabin and would never sail without one!

I believe that there is no smoking on any of the port side of the ship, so you might consider booking a port side cabin.....unless smoking on the balconies is permitted on both sides of the ship.....

I really hope this is not a fact.:eek: One of the reasons we booked the balcony is so hubby can go out and sit and relax having a cigarette. I didn't read anywhere that port side is smoke free.

The Spa cabins and suites are non smoking balconies. So if smoke on the balcony is a real problem it might be worth the extra dollars to book a Spa cabin.

Here is an excerpt from Carnival: The Spa suite and stateroom accommodations are an entirely smoke free environment, including the outside balcony.

The only other con I can think of regarding balcony cabins is if you get a neighbor that lets the balcony door slam shut. It shakes the walls of the cabin.

We had neighbors on one cruise where the balcony door seemed like it was in constant motion, slamming shut very often.

But, we are sold on balconies and keep going back. We have aft wrap balconies on our next two cruises! Enjoy yours.

Too bad the cruise line wouldn't deem one side the smoking side and one non-smoking. Then you could book what works for you. Though I'm not sure if there are enough people who still smoke to fill all the balconies on an entire side. If not, then maybe a certain section.. . .

Last cruise we had our first balcony and loved it! We will never cruise without a balcony again.

One Con was the neighboring balcony had a guy who liked to stand on his balcony nude. One of my adult kids saw a reflection in the glass and called me and yep.....If you were in this one spot you could see the relection in the neighboring balcony. Thankfully we only saw him out there the one time and never seen him again!

The Spa cabins and suites are non smoking balconies. So if smoke on the balcony is a real problem it might be worth the extra dollars to book a Spa cabin.

Here is an excerpt from Carnival: The Spa suite and stateroom accommodations are an entirely smoke free environment, including the outside balcony.

The only other con I can think of regarding balcony cabins is if you get a neighbor that lets the balcony door slam shut. It shakes the walls of the cabin.

We had neighbors on one cruise where the balcony door seemed like it was in constant motion, slamming shut very often.

But, we are sold on balconies and keep going back. We have aft wrap balconies on our next two cruises! Enjoy yours.

We have been on alot of cruises and our last cruise we had neighbors that slammed the door about 50 times day and night everyday.Even after going to guest services they never stopped for the entire week.Some people are just rude, they had to know it was loud

I really hope this is not a fact.:eek: One of the reasons we booked the balcony is so hubby can go out and sit and relax having a cigarette. I didn't read anywhere that port side is smoke free.

I think that is referring to the outside public decks, not the balconies. I don't think it would matter on a Conquest class ship, since the outdoor public decks are all higher than the balcony cabins (except Deck 3, but that's hardly ever used, and it's way below the balcony cabins anyway).

On a Conquest-class ship, Deck 7 is a good choice since you'll have cabins above and below you. Keep in mind that if you upgrade to Deck 8, if your room is midship or aft, you will have the lido deck or buffet above you, which is not ideal. I'd suggest staying with Deck 7. If you really want a higher deck for whatever reason, check the deck plan to make sure you have cabins (not the Lido deck or buffet) above or below you.

On a Conquest-class ship, Deck 7 is a good choice since you'll have cabins above and below you. Keep in mind that if you upgrade to Deck 8, if your room is midship or aft, you will have the lido deck or buffet above you, which is not ideal. I'd suggest staying with Deck 7. If you really want a higher deck for whatever reason, check the deck plan to make sure you have cabins (not the Lido deck or buffet) above or below you.

Have you ever stayed on the Lido deck? Awesome location we always stay at the same area .Right when you walk through the glass doors if you look left or right you will see a door ,open that door and thats my cabin.Its the best kept secret with a private hallway

Have you ever stayed on the Lido deck? Awesome location we always stay at the same area .Right when you walk through the glass doors if you look left or right you will see a door ,open that door and thats my cabin.Its the best kept secret with a private hallway

Never stayed on the Lido deck, but it seems to be a popular location.

Never stayed on the Lido deck, but it seems to be a popular location.

Where we stay its alittle more money its 8E but to be about 50 feet from the pool ,bars,guys burgers ,morning coffee from the buffet its really nice.Its great to run back to the cabin to refill my cocktail or use the bathroom.And not really loud and noisy as people think because of the private hallway

We have been on alot of cruises and our last cruise we had neighbors that slammed the door about 50 times day and night everyday.Even after going to guest services they never stopped for the entire week.Some people are just rude, they had to know it was loud

We had the same problem on the Legend. The people next to us or above us would get up at 5 or 6 am and go in and out of the balcony at least 20 times before 9am. It was extremely annoying and woke me up everyday because the walls were shaking. Everyone seems to think that it's better to have cabins above and below you, but if those people were above it, then it's not worth it to me. I would prefer an end balcony with no neighbors on one side and no one above us to minimize the door slamming. If you are a heavy sleeper though, it probably won't bother you. Carnival needs to put controlled closers on these doors or something.

Be mindful of the ships cameras during evening 'private time' with spouse. The cameras are Infared.

JKrise

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Since when do ships have cameras on our balconies

That's correct. They are pointed down the side of the ship. From that Vantage point, should you ever take a ships bridge tour, you will be able to see the "lack of privacy" on the balconies as displayed on the monitors.

JKrise

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Archived