Alarming sights on the Mariner

We returned from the 6/5 Mariner sailing and need to report some disturbing and alarming sights we witnessed.

It seems that in the pool and solarium areas there were a large number of invisible passengers. All you could see was the towels and shoes on the chairs. Very ghostly!:eek:

Another theory is that due to our being in the Bermuda Triangle that these people were simply vanishing, leaving only their towels, shoes, and personal belongings behind. Thank goodness we made it back ok. ;)

We began to wonder if we were invisible to the other passengers as we lay in our lounges. Thankfully though, no one sat on us.:rolleyes:

It seems that in the pool and solarium areas there were a large number of invisible passengers. All you could see was the towels and shoes on the chairs.

If I needed a chair, those items would be removed after 10 minutes. In fact, I've done it, and will continue to do it. Although I think that in the future, instead of just removing them, they're going to be disposed of. :D

Well, at least the ghosts were kind enough to leave you gifts from beyond... did any of them have similar taste to yours??? I have heard that the cruise ghosts are quite generous at times....:p

As I am going on my first real cruise in January... (Explorer 1/29... any one else?) I am anxious as to what I will experience for myself... and hoping that one of these ghostly creatures leaves me a nice pair of designer sunglasses or at least a good book;)

If you want to have some fun just take the right shoe from one chair and replace it with the right shoe from a far away chair. Different size and type of shoe naturally.

Also do the same by swapping books from one chair with another from a far away chair.

Sit back and watch the chair hogs when they return. It is fun to watch.

If you want to have some fun just take the right shoe from one chair and replace it with the right shoe from a far away chair. Different size and type of shoe naturally.

Also do the same by swapping books from one chair with another from a far away chair.

Sit back and watch the chair hogs when they return. It is fun to watch.

Too funny :D

###

Just wondering, should one remove their belongings when they enter the pool? I would think that dipping in the pool to cool off for 10 minutes or so would not constitute a chair hog. What is the normal amount of time to give someone?

There are differing opinions on time limits, but if I sat in your chair because it was empty and then you came and dripped all over me, I would feel so foolish and embarassed.

You can usually tell when a chair hog has struck. If you sit and watch for any length of time, the owner will usually re-appear if they have been in the pool. Or if you are observant, you can watch the people in the pool and see if they keep checking in the direction of their chairs and property for looters....

I like the shoe and book switching idea..... :D

You guys make it sound like you are not allowed to leave your chairs at all. Am I getting this right? Are we allowed to swim, get a drink or talk to people that we are with on the other side of the pool or do we just have to stay put when we sit down? Just curious.

You can leave your chair for a dip in the pool or a bathroom run. Its the people who get up at 6:00 in the morning and stake their chair with books and towels and then reappear at lunch time as if they have been there all day that really makes passengers mad. If you are considerate of others you dont need to worry.

I have a good one! We were on the Navigator a couple of week's ago and one of my friends was placing his items on a chair. A BIG lady comes out of nowhere and shoves my friend out of the way and then claims the chair he was about to sit on. It wasn't even her chair to begin with. If he wasn't a gentleman, he would've slugged her! Some people are sooo rude!

We returned from the 6/5 Mariner sailing and need to report some disturbing and alarming sights we witnessed.

It seems that in the pool and solarium areas there were a large number of invisible passengers. All you could see was the towels and shoes on the chairs. Very ghostly!:eek:

Another theory is that due to our being in the Bermuda Triangle that these people were simply vanishing, leaving only their towels, shoes, and personal belongings behind. Thank goodness we made it back ok. ;)

We began to wonder if we were invisible to the other passengers as we lay in our lounges. Thankfully though, no one sat on us.:rolleyes:

Maybe they were raptured and we were stuck here.... :eek:

Actually, nevermind... Chair Hogs will definitely NOT be raptured. ;)

My DW theorized that maybe space aliens were abducting them. This could be the case. From my observations, the aliens apparently do not like our shoes, they always leave them. Not big readers eveidently either, they tend to leave books.

For those worried about being hogs, no problem going in the pool or over to the bar to get a refreshing drink, or even to watch the sexy legs contest (wife was a judge; enjoyed the leg rubbing a little too much, I thought. Later found out she had to give the "No Hair Legs" award, hence she was just doing her job). The cruisers who annoy are the ones who come up, plop down their stuff (stake their claim) and just disappear for hours. We found it most frustrating in the solarium where there aren't that many chairs to begin with. We sat in two lounges on Thursday (missed Grand Cayman due to a storm) for about 2 1/2 hours next to three chairs full of towels, etc. Never saw a soul come near the stuff. If they were in the pool or hot tub, they must have looked like month old prunes.

We don't get angry, we try to keep a sense of humor. It is a little frustrating trying to find a place sometimes when you see so many saved chairs. We just go to Plan B and find something else to do. It's a big ship, after all.

i try not to be rude but i paid the same if not more(we are a large numbered family)and am entitled to use the chairs.if it stakes you all day to get your butt out there then deal with it when you get there.why should the rest of us suffer without a chair?i am all for moving the stuff or calling the attendent over to avoid aphysical altercation.

If I needed a chair, those items would be removed after 10 minutes. In fact, I've done it, and will continue to do it. Although I think that in the future, instead of just removing them, they're going to be disposed of. :D

You are a brave, brave poster. I mentioned that I had a thirty minute rule to remove stuff from chairs and I was attacked! Was told someone could be eating in the buffet and I was being too hasty ;)

At the buffet ~ did you see any singe people sitting at a table for 5 with 4 invisible friends while you stood with your tray looking desperately for somewhere to eat?

Okay, I admit this is probably the one and only thing on a cruise that drives me totally bonkers. One person sitting and eating at a table for four or more, where it's apparent that they are the only one in attendance at that table. Really, it drives me batty mainly because you get that old "high school squicky" feeling standing there with your tray looking around for a seat.

There are always the smaller tables for two or the bar...

High school flashbacks are not fun!

You are a brave, brave poster. I mentioned that I had a thirty minute rule to remove stuff from chairs and I was attacked! Was told someone could be eating in the buffet and I was being too hasty ;)

*puts on flame suit*

If they're eating in the buffet, they're not by the pool now are they? The open chair is free domain. If you leave the pool area, take your junk with you. People on the NOS last week ran inside during a 30-second rain shower. :rolleyes: If you want to claim the chair all day and worship the sun and bring home melanoma as a souvenir, be my guest. If you want skin that looks like a saddle bag, more power to you. Two hours a day is about all I can handle.

Guest OBAYbee

I'm telling you.... I have the perfect solution! I just need someone to patent it!

RCCL deck loungers that unfold with the use of your seapass. They also fold back up on their own after 1 hour w/o a warm body laying in it. Leave a book or a towel on it, after an hour SLAM!! Book or no book, you don't lie in it..you loose that seat to the next person with a seapass card.

I all seriousness though, at some point I think we all need to accept that there are rude and inconsiderate people everywhere. Even on a cruise ship.

I won't ruin my day by taking issue with someone that doesn't care if there are others hoping to sun bathe and use a deck chair. Those people feel they have ownership some how because they sent hubby up before the sun came out to reserve them (to them it doesn't matter if they actually use them or not).For those kind of people nothing I say would bother them in the least but it would upset me to have that confrontation.

That said, if I am lying out and see someones chair empty for a long period of time, I will absolutely encourage the passenger that approaches me asking if anyone has been there to take it.

If you don't plan on lying in the chair why on earth put your towel on one and then not use it while you are in the pool, gone for lunch, chatting with folks on another deck. Common courtesy shouldn't be mandated but something you do out of respect for the thousands of others who are also on THEIR vacation.

I can't believe I just got involved in a chair hog debate. *sigh*

Just remember, all of these chairs are subject to day after day, week after week, exposure to various and sundry sweating bodies. Just imagine all of the body gunk that is on these chairs. Let the chair hogs have them.

You know, I've run into some of those same invisible people on our last cruise. Those sneaky little buggers were all over the Lido Deck and would drain my glass without me even knowing. :eek: You've got to keep any eye on your drink or I swear, they'll get it. :p

I have to admit to having the pool attendant remove some items from loungers. They did it for me so when a person approached me to ask where their things were, I could honestly answer that I didn't move them. The chair was empty when I sat down. :D

Beth

Okay, I admit this is probably the one and only thing on a cruise that drives me totally bonkers. One person sitting and eating at a table for four or more, where it's apparent that they are the only one in attendance at that table. Really, it drives me batty mainly because you get that old "high school squicky" feeling standing there with your tray looking around for a seat.

There are always the smaller tables for two or the bar...

High school flashbacks are not fun!

There's no bar in the Windjammers that I've been in, and tables for two are usually full at lunchtime.

If the only table available is for 4 or more and it's just DH and I, we sit down. If we see people standing forlornly with their trays, we invite them to join us. They always do, and we've had some nice chats with them. If we see one or two people at a large table, we ask if anybody else is sitting with them. If not, we ask to share. Nobody has ever said no, although some people actually look a little scared as if they're afraid we're going to try to sell them insurance or something.:eek:

Archived