Cheap Beach day recommendation?

skittl1321

I don't know anything about Costa Maya. It seems Maya Chan seems to be the #1 rec. We're okay with that, but want a cheaper day if possible.

Does anyone recommend a beach that we can snorkel off of? With food and drinks available, but not necessarily included?

This is an easy one - get off the ship in Mahogany Bay, walk to the beach to your right & there you are. At the man made beach & you have not spent a dime. There is all of the food & drink there to buy, if wanted. You could always pack a lunch from the buffet line at breakfast.

Enjoy Roatan !!

Bill in FL

This is an easy one - get off the ship in Mahogany Bay, walk to the beach to your right & there you are. At the man made beach & you have not spent a dime. There is all of the food & drink there to buy, if wanted. You could always pack a lunch from the buffet line at breakfast.

Enjoy Roatan !!

Bill in FL

Sorry, this confused me just a bit. This is the Costa Maya forum, but you say enjoy Roatan- is Mahogany Bay in Roatan or Costa Maya? (I'm looking for Roatan plans too...)

It sounds like Costa Maya is the kind of port that has so many beach clubs I can just get off the ship with no plans and find a beach to sit on for the day? So I just have to find a taxi driver and tell him to take me to a beach, and he'll probably take me to his brother-in-law's best friend's uncle's beach shack?

We found the Pez Quadro has a non-alcohol all inclusive deal for $23 pp, but honestly- in Cozumel, $23 is what we spent combined, so that seems a lot...

I think Will meant the area on your left as you face the cruise center entrance. But you really can't snorkel there. The "beach" doesn't lead to the water. ust the rocky shore line and there's too much "activity " for any real snorkeling sights.

The nice little cove of a beach to your right is the old Cha Chi resort. and unless something has changed in the past couple of months, it's not really "open". It's not associated with he cruise center and access, through a "hole in the fence" is outside the cruise center compound. Again though snorkeling would not be that great here. Same reasons as above.

You could head down to the malecon in majahual ($5pp RT taxi) and find a lounger at one of the clubs. No cost for the lounger, but they would require/recommend you purchase a drink or food. Snorkeling there is mixed as well. The area in front of most of the malecon is buffered by a small reef/seawall and is prone to seagrass at various time of the year, depending on the current.

So if you want a reasonable inexpensive day relaxing in the sun, either the cruise center or the malecon would do. If you want to snorkel you're best to hit Maya Chan or Almapena or take on of the ship's snorkeling excursions to the area north of the port. And that'll but the kabosh on any "cheap" day.:eek:

For snorkel, I really just need a place where I can practice snorkeling, not so much worried about what we'll see.

Oddly, the purpose of this cruise is to give me a chance to get more used to the snorkel (I hate my nose being covered) so I can fully be able to participate in snorkeling when we go to the Galapagos.

Malecon sounds like it might work. I don't mind purchasing a drink and some food- I just don't need a ton of it...

If we don't go cave tubing in Belize, maybe we'll splurge on Maya Chan...

Okay, you're going to CM in December?

Email Steve at Tropicante and get a couple of loungers reserved for you. UNless he's changed his way of doing business, it's just reserving your seats. NO charge for that. Plus it keeps you from being hounded by the lounger hawkers all along the malecon. And they have decent good and good drinks/cold beer.

http://www.sandalsandskis.com/Tropicante.html

Steve can point out a couple of good places to practice. It's relatively shallow. DW goes out with a mask on when we're at Nohoch Kay, down the malecon from Tropicante. But it's an AI place so not for you this time.

Email Steve at Tropicante and get a couple of loungers reserved for you. UNless he's changed his way of doing business, it's just reserving your seats. NO charge for that.

That sounds perfect for us!

Thanks for the recommendation.

The port at Costa Maya is huge and if you are trying to not spend money, you could actually stay there. There's a huge pool (most people usually learn to snorkel in pools before actually going snorkeling) to test your skills in. There's plenty of shopping (or browsing if you are saving money) and it's a pretty nice place there.

PC170141-M.jpg

PC170143-M.jpg

PC170147-M.jpg

PC170148-M.jpg

PC170150-M.jpg

PC170162-M.jpg

We have been to Maya Chan before...awesome people and place. Great for a relaxing day and everythings included. They have the BEST Mexican food I have ever ate before. Seriously. They will take you on a guided snorkeling tour around the area and you can also practice on your own.

Here's my review from when we went there (there is a link to tons of pictures at the bottom): http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=30654861&postcount=12

Sorry, here's the link to the additional pictures: IMG_5028-600x450.jpg

Last time we went to Costa Maya, we did a different AI on down the road a bit and loved it. The water was calm and beautiful. There was a reef in front of it that you could snorkel out to. All drinks and food are included as well along with transportation.

Here's my review...you will have to click on the link and the review STARTS and post #190 and ENDS around maybe #219

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1755846&page=5

In 2 weeks, we will be trying out Nohoch Cay thanks to the great people on here. I'm not sure about the snorkeling, but the food is suppose to be great and it's only 8 minutes away from port and on the beach and malecon. If you aren't going any time soon, I will have a review when I come back. :)

Hey, mitsugirly... DW and SIL are leaving tomorrow on the Dream. They'll be at Nohoch Kay next week. Since we know Jaime from days of yore, I'll ask her to tell him you're coming and to take good care of you. Just the 3 of you, You, DH, DD, right? That way he can identify our party and DW is bad with remebering names:rolleyes:.

(most people usually learn to snorkel in pools before actually going snorkeling)

Oh, I've snorkeled in the ocean a number of times- Cozumel (heavy currents that day), Antigua- well off shore, and St. Thomas. I just hate having my nose covered, so I freak out, and want some good practice in. I am NOT missing out swimming with Sea Lions in the Galapagos- and it is a good excuse for a cruise. I can snorkel in a pool here, but the 'safety' of the pool doesn't quite mimic the experience.

Thanks for the pictures!

Hey, mitsugirly... DW and SIL are leaving tomorrow on the Dream. They'll be at Nohoch Kay next week. Since we know Jaime from days of yore, I'll ask her to tell him you're coming and to take good care of you. Just the 3 of you, You, DH, DD, right? That way he can identify our party and DW is bad with remebering names:rolleyes:.

There are 6 of us. Me, hubby, 5 yr old daughter, 24 year old daughter, daughters bf and my 4 yr old grandson. :D We will be there May 16. :)

I would recommend catching a cab for a few bucks into Majuhaul. The cab ride really is not that much at all. Once there you can enjoy a day at the beautiful beach. There is also shopping, resturants, and cheap massages that can be done as well. I know you aren't looking to spend a lot but you really don't have to to have a good time in Costa Maya.

Thanks everyone for the advice- we reserved loungers at the Tropicante. We'll budget for a beach massage (a splurge, but half the price of home and a quarter of the price on the ship!), a few drinks and some food- but it should be a really inexpensive day!

I would go the the Tropicante. Steve will treat you right. I was there in January and it was the best day of my cruise. My daughter is there today for the first time and it was her favorite stop. Great food and tasty drinks at great prices. $25 massages on the beach. Shoot him an email and he'll reserve you some chairs for free.

Archived