Lobsters in MDR on New England Cruises

SpokaneDan

Doubt it. Expect they are farm raised, mass produced, frozen. To serve 1000 or more at a seating, it has to be that way. On our N. Amsterdam behind the scenes tour, they planned on serving 1400 on lobster night. Just no realistic way they can be fresher.

There have been rare exceptions but on all of our (many) Canada/NE cruises, they serve the same lobster tails as on all the other cruises.

There have been a few times they had fresh lobsters delivered to the ship but don't count on it. ;)

If you want fresh Maine lobster on a New England cruise, you're gonna have to get off the ship. Try a lobster feed when you're in Bar Harbor, or any port on that cruise. (And the mussels are fantastic in PEI!)

HAL did buy Maine lobsters last year when there was a glut, maybe they'll do it again this year.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501843_162-57493159/holland-america-to-buy-maine-lobster/

Have lobster lunch in Halifax and Bar Harbor. Wonderful!!!

Eat mussels in Charlottetown. :) They are the best there.

I agree. Lobster lunch on the pier near the tender port in Bar Harbor is the best. Great people watching, on the water and fantastic food. Don't forget to have blueberry SOMETHNG for dessert.

The cruise lines, including HAL, have contracts with large vendors where they buy their food from. Since it is done on embarkation day only on shorter cruises -- 7 day cruises -- items like lobster are bought frozen.

Best to get your lobster fix in a port.

Lobster lunch -- lobster rolls, etc.

I agree. Lobster lunch on the pier near the tender port in Bar Harbor is the best. Great people watching, on the water and fantastic food. Don't forget to have blueberry SOMETHNG for dessert.

YES, for sure.

Wild Maine blueberries are so good! :)

A slice of blueberry pie after your steamed lobster. Delicious.

YES, for sure.

Wild Maine blueberries are so good! :)

A slice of blueberry pie after your steamed lobster. Delicious.

You are making me miss going to Maine....used to do it every year. Yes, the blueberry pie up there is to die for. We used to go to Nunan's in Cape Porpoise (Kennebunkport) and have the twin lobs and the blueberry pie. I am drooling just thinking about it. Thanks for reminding me!:)

I got so hungry for lobster writing these posts, DH and I decided to order some two pound lobsters for our dinner tomorrow. Our lobster pound will pull them fresh from the tank when we arrive. Fresh lobster! We haven't thought to get lobsters for a while so we'll surely enjoy them.

If you eat the fabulous lobster specialties in port you can order something else on the ship. That's what we did on this cruise. The lobster on the ship are fine but if you have had wonderful and fresh lobster in port there is just no comparison.

I got so hungry for lobster writing these posts, DH and I decided to order some two pound lobsters for our dinner tomorrow. Our lobster pound will pull them fresh from the tank when we arrive. Fresh lobster! We haven't thought to get lobsters for a while so we'll surely enjoy them.

Oh my!! I am now very hungry for lobster!! Too bad I am here in Charlotte. The lobsters here are not as fresh as in Boston/Maine. So I guess I will go on, savor the memory, eat my fried chicken and biscuits, and be quiet!:D

BTW: The fried chicken down here is the best ever, IMHO. Superb in fact.

You'remaking me hungry for the fried chicken. I can't remember the last time we ate that. You can order lobsters shipped to you from a number of places in Maine or Massachusetts but I can't order your fried chicken. ;)

Can't wait for a fresh Maine Lobster.. Lived in the south of Maine over 20 years ago.. and loved eating them then.... and looking forward to finally seeing Bar Harbour this summer (Maasdam 20 July sailing) and getting a fresh lobster meal when we get off the ship...

We had fresh Maine Lobster the evening we left Bar Harbor. Unfortunately, they made Lobster Termidor with them. But our cruise was Voyage of the Vikings so maybe they do something extra special like that for that cruise.

Photos of the lobsters being brought onboard were posted on the HAL Blog so I assume that having fresh Maine lobsters is not a common accurance. HAL bought 2000 lobsters.

If you want fresh Maine lobster on a New England cruise, you're gonna have to get off the ship. Try a lobster feed when you're in Bar Harbor, or any port on that cruise. (And the mussels are fantastic in PEI!)

HAL did buy Maine lobsters last year when there was a glut, maybe they'll do it again this year.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501843_162-57493159/holland-america-to-buy-maine-lobster/

HAL was still serving them a couple of weeks ago on the Zaandam. I can tell a Maine lobster by the shell.

You'remaking me hungry for the fried chicken. I can't remember the last time we ate that. You can order lobsters shipped to you from a number of places in Maine or Massachusetts but I can't order your fried chicken. ;)

Yes, I wish I could ship you some fried chicken, but alas it is not possible. It is the best right out of the fryer, when it is fresh. Just had some for lunch. Everybody has a favorite place to go down here for it, and we try to get some every couple of weeks. I know it is not healthy for you, but it is so good and provided you don't make a daily habit of it, you are good to go.

I know you can order lobs from up there, but it is horrifically expensive. If I don't get up to Boston or Maine this year, I might have to break down and mail order some.

Mmmmmm, lobster. Makes me think of when my Aunt comes to visit. The day before she walks down her backyard in Eastern Passage and to the fishermans wharf and places her order the day before her flight. The day of she does the same route and picks up fresh lobster before her flight-carry on in a card board box. That afternoon I boiling lobster on the BBQ.

The thing is she won't eat the stuff-or seafood. Hates it (are you kidding me?):eek:

Mmmmmm, lobster. Makes me think of when my Aunt comes to visit. The day before she walks down her backyard in Eastern Passage and to the fishermans wharf and places her order the day before her flight. The day of she does the same route and picks up fresh lobster before her flight-carry on in a card board box. That afternoon I boiling lobster on the BBQ.

The thing is she won't eat the stuff-or seafood. Hates it (are you kidding me?):eek:

That's wonderful. What a nice 'hostess gift' she brings. :)

Archived