When to book hotel for March 2014?

Ok, I am looking for advice on when to book for 3/28/14-3/39/14- just the day before our cruise, preferably downtown Miami or South Beach- so we have options on food and last minute items, we will not have a car. We need 3 rooms, don't want to spend more than $200 per room but all the sites I have tried show no availability, are there really no rooms or am I so far out I cannot book yet?

Thanks so much for your advice.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2

You should be able to find something, but you will not find any deals this far out -- $200 per night in peak season in downtown Miami or Miami Beach is not much when lots of hotels go for $300-400/night. :eek: Check expedia or travelocity or your favorite travel web site, book something now that you can live with (even north Miami Beach), and then keep shopping. Good luck! :)

You should be able to find something, but you will not find any deals this far out -- $200 per night in peak season in downtown Miami or Miami Beach is not much when lots of hotels go for $300-400/night. :eek: Check expedia or travelocity or your favorite travel web site, book something now that you can live with (even north Miami Beach), and then keep shopping. Good luck! :)

Thanks expedia actually stated I was too far out, no more than 330 days & we are at 333 days :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone for the responses, I have only been trying for one room at a time, so I would hope I'm not clogging their systems. We stayed in South Beach last April '12, for around the $200 mark, not looking for beach front, within a few blocks but the Wyndham Garden on Washington was purchased & their not taking reservations this far out.

I guess I'll have to wait it out a few more weeks and see what shows up.

Actually, as a twenty year veteran in the hotel industry, I'd say you are NOT booking too far out.

Since that is peak season for South Florida, expedia and such haven't gotten any availability yet but hotels are releasing their availability.

We've also had a record year here in Florida and hotels had the highest occupancy they've had in years which is another reason middleman booking agents aren't getting such good inventory.

That said, book rooms you can cancel and keep watching. It doesn't cost you anything to book and you may be able to get deals that absolutely will not be available down the road.

Good luck!

Actually, as a twenty year veteran in the hotel industry, I'd say you are NOT booking too far out.

Since that is peak season for South Florida, expedia and such haven't gotten any availability yet but hotels are releasing their availability.

We've also had a record year here in Florida and hotels had the highest occupancy they've had in years which is another reason middleman booking agents aren't getting such good inventory.

That said, book rooms you can cancel and keep watching. It doesn't cost you anything to book and you may be able to get deals that absolutely will not be available down the road.

Good luck!

Thanks BlueHeron, I have been looking at direct booking sites, Hilton, IC, Hyatt, Doubletree, Marriott (which is way outside my price range) I believe only one had rooms for my date needed, an extended stay in Bracknell. Also have looked at expedia, hotelsdotcom, priceline (some sites don't have rates yet).....do you have any suggestions on where to stay? There are 6 adults and 4 teenagers, hence the reason for 3 rooms.

Thanks for your help.

We booked for January 2014 last month for Ft. Lauderdale. Glad we did as the rates have already gone up $30.00. We booked it as a backup and will continue to check rates in case we find something we like better.

IMO, I don't think you are booking too soon. Most hotels let you book almost a year ahead. Good luck and hope you find what you're looking for:):).

It may be possible that the dates you are looking at could be Spring Break with Easter being so late next year. I wonder if they have minimum stay requirements which is why you can't seem to find any hotels available. Hopefully that is not the case but something to look into.

It may be possible that the dates you are looking at could be Spring Break with Easter being so late next year. I wonder if they have minimum stay requirements which is why you can't seem to find any hotels available. Hopefully that is not the case but something to look into.

Never thought about the spring break issue. I did learn that there is a Ultra Music Festival going on that weekend, starting 3/28, the day I need so I was thinking that maybe why nothing is open downtown....

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

I would get something as soon as you possibly can! I too have a cruise that weekend and to my dismay discovered the Ultra Music Festival is there as well. Last year they had 150,000 people, that's why hotels are selling out already! I jumped on a Best Western on Miami Beach and even a 3-star was around $250.00 a day and this is 11 months away! They'll be super expensive as the time gets closer, Good Luck.

I am going to book a hotel in Ft Lauderdale and get transportation for the next day to POM. Looking at the Doubletree or Hyatt Place, any suggestions?

Double Tree - Sawgrass Mills is $111 using MVP corporate code 0560041604

• 2 weeks later...

I booked two rooms with the BEST WESTERN PLUS Fort Lauderdale Airport/Cruise Port. The reviews on tripadviser seem OK and its across from a shopping plaza so we can pick up wine and any last minute items. I also set up shuttle service with QLS to pick us up and take us to POM on Saturday 3/29/14.

Never thought about the spring break issue. I did learn that there is a Ultra Music Festival going on that weekend, starting 3/28, the day I need so I was thinking that maybe why nothing is open downtown....

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Ultra is MASSIVE. I'm sure that is the problem.

Archived