Muster Drill Changes

AngAndBoys

Just got home from cruise on Elation and noted that muster is longer and more involved than before. Our station was in the theater...so they did the normal life jacket and emergency instructions...but then they had the entire group get up and go outside to the actual lifeboats and stand! It took maybe 2.5 times longer than normal. It still wasn't that bad for us, but I'm guessing the people who had outside stations with no chairs weren't too happy. Just a heads up for what to expect after the last bunch of catastrophes.

We had the opposite experience. Sailed on The Pride on 4/14/13. We were told not to bring our life jackets, my daughter was extremely disappointed that she couldn't wear hers! :D Our drill was one of the shortest that I've experienced. They also never gave our children their muster station bracelets. We had to go to the desk to get them.

We had the opposite experience. Sailed on The Pride on 4/14/13. We were told not to bring our life jackets, my daughter was extremely disappointed that she couldn't wear hers! :D Our drill was one of the shortest that I've experienced. They also never gave our children their muster station bracelets. We had to go to the desk to get them.

Really? I just assumed they tightened up on safety cause of the recent issues. Maybe its just on a ship by ship basis.

The muster drill you experienced with standing outside in rows by the lifeboats was the norm for us on many cruises and not recent ones either. The last couple of cruises we just stayed in a lounge, but more often than not they were held by the lifeboats so I don't think it's a recent change. Perhaps it varies by ship.

Ours 3/31 on Legend took half an hour due to people not showing up when told to. It was awful. I didn't go right away so I wouldn't be against the wall. I even waited while they were letting people outside and still ended up in the 2nd row from the wall.

We cruise 10 times a year on Carnival and we have noted 3 variations.

On the big ships like Dream, Magic and Dream; you go to the theater or diningroom, get a safely lecture and leave.

Other ships do the old fashion to the muster station but we have not dragged lifejackets in about 3 years.

The third variation, meet someplace (ours was a back lounge), and then from there, everyone walks to the muster station (this seems to be the rarest type on the ships, but it isn't new, we did this on the Freedom, and Splendor back in 2010.

Edited by bookcreator

On the big ships like Dream, Magic and Dream; you go to the theater or diningroom, get a safely lecture and leave.

Other ships do the old fashion to the muster station but we have not dragged lifejackets in about 3 years.

The third variation, meet someplace (ours was a back lounge), and then from there, everyone walks to the muster station (this seems to be the rarest type on the ships, but it isn't new, we did this on the Freedom, and Splendor back in 2010.

Well that e plains it then. I've experienced the first 2 but never the third...in 8 cruises. I just assumed it was beefed up.

Just got home from cruise on Elation and noted that muster is longer and more involved than before. Our station was in the theater...so they did the normal life jacket and emergency instructions...but then they had the entire group get up and go outside to the actual lifeboats and stand! It took maybe 2.5 times longer than normal. It still wasn't that bad for us, but I'm guessing the people who had outside stations with no chairs weren't too happy. Just a heads up for what to expect after the last bunch of catastrophes.

I just got off the Liberty on Saturday. Ours was outside at the lifeboats and I actually commented on it being longer / going more in depth then previous cruises.

Just off "Paradise" and "Ecstasy". Both ships had us meet in a lounge, then trudge up to the actual lifeboat stations for about 15 minutes. Not a big deal, but a bit different than some of the other ships. (Both are "Fantasy" class ships.)

"SKY"

Edited by SkyMaster

I just got off the Liberty on Saturday. Ours was outside at the lifeboats and I actually commented on it being longer / going more in depth then previous cruises.

Ours on Freedom this past January was like what you've said. A little more detailed since the Concordia Accident.

Victory last year everyone stood outside in the heat and listened to everything in English and Spanish. On the Imagination in Jan we meet in the main lounge, had the whole safety dance and then had to walk up to the life boats.

We did the same on Fascination last October.

they did this with us as well on the fantasy class ships the past 2 years, but not any other class

Our Dec '11 Carnival Breeze and Jan '13 RC Oasis drills were inside the ship in some lounge area. No life jackets needed. It was kinda long, but since we weren't stuffed together like sardines wearing those life jackets, it was easy. There were not enough chairs, though, so some people sat on the floor. They had the talk and demonstrated the jackets and told parents to come for the bracelets, but I don't remember if they had them there or you had to go elsewhere.

I really hope they don't go back to the old method. The life jackets are simple to figure out - you don't need to actually try them on and if you feel insecure, you could try them on in your cabin.

On the Valor we just stood outside near the lifeboats...crammed like sardienes...felt so tight and hot with two kids wanting to get the heck out of there...going on the breeze in Sept...hoping it will be easier

We have always had to go outside and stand in the crowd after the initial, here's how you put on your lifejacket and announcements.

We've done all of these in the past year also.

Keith

I actually like the idea of going out to the life boats. My kids are going on their first cruise this October and my daughter (age 10) is a little freaked out, especially since we are going on the Triumph. I think her actually seeing the lifeboats and where we go will be helpful for her. I have been on youtube showing her all the great cruise tours and she is excited with a twinge of nervousness. I know she will have a great time once she steps on-board :)

Ditto on Imagination last week. Lasted almost an hour. After the life jacket thing, we all had to climb the stairs outside behind the theater to go stand in front of the life boats packed in like sardines. I felt sorry for some of the older guests, both because of climbing the stairs and standing outside so long.