Muster Drill Changes

AngAndBoys

Just got home from cruise on Elation and noted that muster is longer and more involved than before. Our station was in the theater...so they did the normal life jacket and emergency instructions...but then they had the entire group get up and go outside to the actual lifeboats and stand! It took maybe 2.5 times longer than normal. It still wasn't that bad for us, but I'm guessing the people who had outside stations with no chairs weren't too happy. Just a heads up for what to expect after the last bunch of catastrophes.

I was on the Imagination last June and we stood in the sun on the Lido for about an hour. Wasnt really informative due to the crowd noise.

On my B2B on Fantasy last October, my muster station was in the main theatre. They were VERY adamant about people NOT TALKING.

Young man up on stage repeatedly told people to STOP TALKING. And turn off the phones!

YES, MA'AM, YOU IN THE THIRD ROW WEARING THE BLUE TOP - TURN OFF THE CELL PHONE NOW! YES, YOU!! TURN IF OFF! NOW! AND NO TALKING!!! AND NO DRINKING OR EATING!!

I rather enjoyed it. I love it when people being stupid are publicly humiliated. As long as it isn't me! ;)

It took a long time to empty the full theatre and march up to the boats, but I personally have absolutely no problem with them being as strict as possible. Did stoopid in the blue top who was texting the whole time think her phone would get her onto a lifeboat if it was necessary? Nope. She'd be the one stampeding and running over old ladies and children.

Just got home from cruise on Elation and noted that muster is longer and more involved than before. Our station was in the theater...so they did the normal life jacket and emergency instructions...but then they had the entire group get up and go outside to the actual lifeboats and stand! It took maybe 2.5 times longer than normal. It still wasn't that bad for us, but I'm guessing the people who had outside stations with no chairs weren't too happy. Just a heads up for what to expect after the last bunch of catastrophes.

We were on the Elation for the April 11-15 (2013) cruise and while we attended the Muster Drill in one of the lounges we were told that "if" we wanted to see our lifeboat to go out a certain door, up a flight of stairs and that is where we would find our emergency station.

I think it is nice that they required everyone to do this because not many people, that we could see, bothered to find their life boats.

It was the same way on my March 9, cruise on the Elation:eek:.

Our drill was maybe 15 minutes long, and I really couldn't hear much of what was said. I did notice some late comers, I'm not sure if a cabin by cabin check was done and they were sent up or if they were just late getting to muster.

Our Glory last year was different. First time the ship didn't leave during muster. They couldn't leave until we did and weather was bad and it was dangerous to do (slippery outside due to wet deck). It took two hours if starting then rescheduling before completed and they only did it when they did because if they waited any longer we were going to be stuck in port another night. We have left a theatre and stood outside on the Dream, sensation and elation. I think all they were before Concordia. Glory was our first after.

Not looking forward to the Glory in August in NYC to be standing out on that boat deck against the wall all crammed in without any air.

Princess we went to the show theater with life jacket and had to put it on in the theater. That's it, never went to the boats.

NCL is a joke, meet in theater or lounge or restaurant, sit while crew in life vests yell at you "no talking" . Hear the announcement and then dismissed. At least I saw the dinner menu...

It has all changed from years ago, back in 1995 we had to go to the boat station with life vests and names not cabins were called off. The actual life boat "commander" (ship crew) was present as well, not just hotel staff going thru the motions.

Well, see in the heat in august what happens on the Glory.

Edited by Brighton Line

I just got off the Liberty on Saturday. Ours was outside at the lifeboats and I actually commented on it being longer / going more in depth then previous cruises.

On the Liberty last year, we had to stand outside at the lifeboats. We also had a crew member shushing us for being too loud or not being in the right position. He made us line up shoulder to shoulder in 4 straight rows. The safety briefing which was longer than we've ever had before. And that was only the english version. After english, we also had what I assume was the same briefing in Spanish and German. I was up against a fan in a skirt that apparently liked to blow up so I really wasn't too happy to stand there for the extended period of time.

Both times we were on the Dream, we went through short but to the point briefings in one of the dining rooms

Edited by uvakat

How about the Dream? Do you go to the lifeboats also?

when i cruised the dream in 2009 our station was in the main show lounge. we sat and watched a short film on where to go, watched the crew put on the stylish life jackets and we were done!

Cruised the Elation April 1-6. Muster drill station in main lounge w no life jacket required and then everyone had to go to life boat station, but more time was spent in lounge waiting for everyone to show up. On Magic last yr and only had to go to main lounge, again without life jacket. The drill part is not that long, what delays everything is having to sit wait on people who don't think they need to hurry to the drill.

We had the opposite experience. Sailed on The Pride on 4/14/13. We were told not to bring our life jackets, my daughter was extremely disappointed that she couldn't wear hers! :D Our drill was one of the shortest that I've experienced. They also never gave our children their muster station bracelets. We had to go to the desk to get them.

Same here on our last cruise.....

This was the way it was on the Fascination in January as well. It was the first time we had to report someplace other than by the lifeboats first. It did seem to take longer to get everyone into the lounge, and then they just talked, did a brief discussion on stage, and then waited some more until we were instructed via the loudspeaker to proceed to the life boats. It seemed a bit strange, and I could just imagine the mass confusion of people first trying to get to the lounge and then to the lifeboats if the ship were sinking.

We cruise 10 times a year on Carnival and we have noted 3 variations.

On the big ships like Dream, Magic and Dream; you go to the theater or diningroom, get a safely lecture and leave.

Other ships do the old fashion to the muster station but we have not dragged lifejackets in about 3 years.

The third variation, meet someplace (ours was a back lounge), and then from there, everyone walks to the muster station (this seems to be the rarest type on the ships, but it isn't new, we did this on the Freedom, and Splendor back in 2010.

I'm just jealous you get to cruise 10 times a year! :)

• 11 months later...

Does it seem like their is no normal? maybe.

On the Glory, Imagination and Triumph in 2013 we walked straight to the Muster Station with the entire drill lasting around 20 minutes once we got lined up behind the lifeboats. Even on the Triumph I haven't noticed a difference in the drill.

On the Conquest in 2012 we gathered near the lido drink station and were given instructions and dismissed after about 15 minutes.

The only thing that frustrates me the most on all 5 ships Carnival has brought here to Galveston is the muster drill happens the majority of times during sail away. I like watching the lines drop and experiencing the first movement of the ship at my leisure, not standing by fellow cruisers in orderly lines.

OK. I'm better now.

Edited by BallFour4

Ditto on Imagination last week. Lasted almost an hour. After the life jacket thing, we all had to climb the stairs outside behind the theater to go stand in front of the life boats packed in like sardines. I felt sorry for some of the older guests, both because of climbing the stairs and standing outside so long.

Older and disabled are kept in their station and advised that we will be helped to our boats if something happens.

Copyofth_Carnival-VIFP-Platinum_zps41db4d4e1_zps02e438c7.jpg

On the Inspiration in February we met in one of the lounges, had the life jacket demonstration and safety talk, kids got their bracelets. And, if there was too much noise going on the person talking would stop talking and wait for the noise to stop before continuing. So took a while, since so many of the people there didn't think they needed to pay attention.

Then we lined up in two lines and were taking to our actual lifeboat station and stood around there while all lifeboat stations were filled up (about 20 minutes). Then they released us.

Whole thing took about 45 minutes.