Brilliance FEB 20 Canceled cruise ...Anyone heard anything yet?

I just went to my cruises to make sure they properly credited my Allure cruise (when I sailed Oasis, they made it 6 night for C&A points!:rolleyes:); They got 7 nights credited all right this time, but I noticed that under "my cruises" both my Brilliance reservations are gone and sure enough when you search for cruises the Feb 20 departure date is gone. Wonder when they might get around to letting me know since I already purchased my airfare:mad:

Has anyone heard from Royal on this one? Once again their spectacular IT and CS departments aren't working with Revenue...if its been chartered, I think the least they can do is make the phone calls!:mad::mad:

This same charter caused the cancellation of my cruise this same time of year 2 years ago also, why do they offer it publicly, if they know the same group will charter it out every year? Maddening. I could book through Ohio State, at least it's not a nudist charter ( not judging, but not taking my mom and daughter on one either :rolleyes:) But the same cabin is over 200 more pp. :mad:

I think I can fit Enchantment ( crappy Bahamas itinerary) in for the same time frame, but they have to make me whole on my airline/departure port changes. :mad::mad:

Sorry you have to deal with that - I agree that RC should be communicating with passengers on the cancelled cruise, and they should also be reimbursing your airline change fees.

My sister and her DH went on the Buckeye cruise this past February and had a blast, but if anyone isn't an avid Ohio State fan, I wouldn't recommend it! It's definitely all-Buckeye, all the time. They do raise a lot of money for cancer research.

This same charter caused the cancellation of my cruise this same time of year 2 years ago also, why do they offer it publicly, if they know the same group will charter it out every year? Maddening. I could book through Ohio State, at least it's not a nudist charter ( not judging, but not taking my mom and daughter on one either :rolleyes:) But the same cabin is over 200 more pp. :mad:

I think I can fit Enchantment ( crappy Bahamas itinerary) in for the same time frame, but they have to make me whole on my airline/departure port changes. :mad::mad:

One up side... at least you have the Enchantment option... better than Monarch with the same crappy Bahamas itinerary :rolleyes:

Hopefully Royal will ante up... heck you can do Freedom that week for a couple hundred more than what the Ohio cruise is priced at. 3 more days and a MUCH better ship! Outrageous that a 'charity' cruise is so inflated!!

Outrageous that a 'charity' cruise is so inflated!!

Don't feel bad for the fans who book this cruise - it's always sold out, and there is a waiting list of people eager to pay. My BIL was over the moon being able to rub elbows with Urban Meyer, the other coaches, and dozens of former players. There are special auctions and events throughout.

As I mentioned, from everything they told me, I would NOT want to be on it if I wasn't a big Buckeye fan.

We had the same thing happen in 2011. I had booked the Majesty on a B2B. Had my airfare booked and paid for. I am always checking prices and I noticed that one of my cruises was missing. I let it go for a week or so and it was still not there. I called RCCL and that is when I found out that the cruise that was missing had been chartered out from under us. They offered to let me go the following cruise but that did not fit in with my airfare. I ended up changing to the Navigator and was able to keep my flights. I just added a side trip before the cruise to Key West for a day and a night. They did give us $150 OBC for all the trouble of switching cruises.

I'm sure the buckeyes would be great folks, that's why I even looked it up, Andrade it consideration. I certainly support cancer charities ( Realy for Life next month) but I'm not prepared to both pay that much and have all the entertainment geared toward a university I didn't attend!

I wont do Majesty...jsut ewww! and this is a gift for mom and shes doing Majesty in Oct with a bunch of ladies from her home in Ft Myers, so we are not going to turn around and do the same cruise in Feb!

Enchantment is an option, ive been wanting to get back to Coco cay. Liberty would be great, and I think I could talk them into it, but I can't do a week on Freedom, because I have other relatives I want to visit while in Fl, including my dad who doesnt cruise. But the Liberty cruise arrives in FLL on Monday AM and Id have to be in Tampa for a 4:20 flight. That wont work; unless they can pay my change fess, I have to work within my flight schedule, or cancel the cruise entirely ( I'm planning on visiting my parents in Ft Myers anyway, so the airfare won't go to waste- I should hit them in the pocketbook and go on another line!)

I am almost positive when a group charters a ship which already has passengers booked on it, they are responsible for any airline change fees incurred by the displaced passengers even if the flights weren't booked through RCI.

That is a fine example of unbelievably poor customer service. How can they cancel a cruise without informing you? I hope you are able to find something else and that RCI picks up any airline change charges!

I am almost positive when a group charters a ship which already has passengers booked on it, they are responsible for any airline change fees incurred by the displaced passengers even if the flights weren't booked through RCI.
Not really according to the cruise contract, although they do tend to work with you.

That is a fine example of unbelievably poor customer service. How can they cancel a cruise without informing you? I hope you are able to find something else and that RCI picks up any airline change charges!

Seems to happen one or two times a year. They eventually contact all the guests on the cancelled cruise, it just seems to take them a few weeks.

You are right Mark, I ve sailed long enough to know how they have things set up, but on the other hand, I've sailed long enough to expect a simple phone call or even an auto reply email "please contact us, your cruise has been canceled"...nothing under "messages".

It's like I've always said about Royal Caribbean, they give Gold Anchor service as long as nothing goes wrong. As soon as they go off script, no one can takes any action at all, everything is paralyzed till a "memo" comes from on high, SO I now I'll have to wait for revenue to send a memo to CS and then I ahve to wait for CS to write a memo about what they will "offer", then wait for a CS rep to call; if I call now no one will know what to do except say "Oh we are sorry"

In the end it's not that big a deal to me, it's just another one of those example of poor organization, and reactive customer service.

I had the same situation a couple weeks ago upon returning from my Liberty TA. My Vision repositioning was just absent from the 'my cruises' section. I waited patiently for about 3 days and received the following email. I was deposited and booked in a JS.

" Dear Valued Guest:

Please be advised that Royal Caribbean's Vision of the Seas sailing the April 12, 2014 has been canceled. The following attachment addresses the compensation offered for these changes. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

A special help desk has been established to assist you with these changes. The desk will remain open until Tuesday, May 7, 2013. All reservations that are not changed by this date will be cancelled and ineligible for the compensation offered. For any questions or assistance please call us at 1-888-281-9344. "

The attachment read:

" Dear Valued Guest,

Please be advised Royal Caribbean’s Vision of the Seas 3-Night Repositioning Cruise sailing April 12, 2014 has been cancelled. As a result of this change all guests who are currently booked on this sailing will need to be moved/cancelled. This memo addresses compensation for guests booked on the impacted sailing.

Guests currently booked with names and money in house on Vision of the Seas 4/12/14 3-Night Repositioning Cruise (ONX/MIA):

Re-book on the select Vision of the Seas 3-Night Repositioning sailing, in like accommodations, at the protected/lowest available rate or any other Royal Caribbean sailing at prevailing rate.

Vision of the Seas (3-Night)

April 26, 2014

Receive $100 onboard credit per standard stateroom, $200 onboard credit for suites when you rebook any Royal Caribbean sailing.

Air change fee reimbursement is not being offered.

A full refund for amounts paid will be processed to the original form of payment if guests choose to cancel; however, they will not receive any of the above compensation.

A special help desk has been established to assist you with these changes. The desk opened on Tuesday, April 23, 2013 and will remain open until Tuesday, May 7, 2013. All reservations that are not changed by the specified close date will be cancelled and ineligible for the compensation offered.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Sincerely,

Royal Caribbean International® "

I was surprised that in my case " Air change fee reimbursement is not being offered" was included. I accepted it though and re-booked. I will hope to work out my schedule as I have a project in Panama and enjoying this as an optional form or transport to air.

They had saved some inventory that was not visible or available even on websites that normally show all inventory. I was able to get an aft JS and the issue was handled very professionally and efficiently. The rep went well beyond what was necessary.

I did find it odd that my JS did not count as a suite and I was only awarded an extra $100 in OBC and not the $200 suite credit.

Jus curious, would any trip insurance carry over to the new cruise without having to re purchase?

You should just be able to change the dates of travel on the policy. Unless you need to actually make a claim under the first policy for the change fee of your air fare or something. Then you would need to purchase a new policy to cover the new trip. Otherwise it would be a simple change.

I had the same situation a couple weeks ago upon returning from my Liberty TA. My Vision repositioning was just absent from the 'my cruises' section. I waited patiently for about 3 days and received the following email. I was deposited and booked in a JS.

" Dear Valued Guest:

Please be advised that Royal Caribbean's Vision of the Seas sailing the April 12, 2014 has been canceled. The following attachment addresses the compensation offered for these changes. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

A special help desk has been established to assist you with these changes. The desk will remain open until Tuesday, May 7, 2013. All reservations that are not changed by this date will be cancelled and ineligible for the compensation offered. For any questions or assistance please call us at 1-888-281-9344. "

The attachment read:

" Dear Valued Guest,

Please be advised Royal Caribbean’s Vision of the Seas 3-Night Repositioning Cruise sailing April 12, 2014 has been cancelled. As a result of this change all guests who are currently booked on this sailing will need to be moved/cancelled. This memo addresses compensation for guests booked on the impacted sailing.

Guests currently booked with names and money in house on Vision of the Seas 4/12/14 3-Night Repositioning Cruise (ONX/MIA):

Re-book on the select Vision of the Seas 3-Night Repositioning sailing, in like accommodations, at the protected/lowest available rate or any other Royal Caribbean sailing at prevailing rate.

Vision of the Seas (3-Night)

April 26, 2014

Receive $100 onboard credit per standard stateroom, $200 onboard credit for suites when you rebook any Royal Caribbean sailing.

Air change fee reimbursement is not being offered.

A full refund for amounts paid will be processed to the original form of payment if guests choose to cancel; however, they will not receive any of the above compensation.

A special help desk has been established to assist you with these changes. The desk opened on Tuesday, April 23, 2013 and will remain open until Tuesday, May 7, 2013. All reservations that are not changed by the specified close date will be cancelled and ineligible for the compensation offered.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Sincerely,

Royal Caribbean International® "

I was surprised that in my case " Air change fee reimbursement is not being offered" was included. I accepted it though and re-booked. I will hope to work out my schedule as I have a project in Panama and enjoying this as an optional form or transport to air.

They had saved some inventory that was not visible or available even on websites that normally show all inventory. I was able to get an aft JS and the issue was handled very professionally and efficiently. The rep went well beyond what was necessary.

I did find it odd that my JS did not count as a suite and I was only awarded an extra $100 in OBC and not the $200 suite credit.

Yeah, Jr suite is misnamed, it's not a suite. Waiting for my email..we shall see when that happens

Jus curious, would any trip insurance carry over to the new cruise without having to re purchase?

Yes, you just change the dates of your trip, most insurances do this easily and it still "counts" as being booked when you booked for pre exsisiting coerage waivers. On Insure my trip dot com, I can just go in and change the dates. if you purchased thriugh an agent or RCL they will handle it for you...just make sure they do and get the paperwork!

Ew... RC takes on nudists? Do they burn all of the furniture afterwards? Yuck.

Yup, and nope...but I have heard they do cover all the chairs in the theaters and the dining room. I 'm not judging what gets anyone else off, but the idea of everyone being naked in the MDR just disgusts me! I'm not against nudity per se, but I don't like looking at most people on cruises when they are in clothes, the thought of them all naked is just gross! But whatever floats your "boat". If you want to find when and who (or book one;))...just google it, there are dozens of charters, almost all the lines do it.

You should just be able to change the dates of travel on the policy. Unless you need to actually make a claim under the first policy for the change fee of your air fare or something. Then you would need to purchase a new policy to cover the new trip. Otherwise it would be a simple change.

Why would you need a new policy? I should think that it's all part of the same trip...

Hey folks, figured I'd update...

Finally got an email today from Royal Caribbean...2/20 and 1/9 were both canceled, and there was a variety of cruises on Brilliance in Jan and Feb that were offered as alternatives, but none during the traditional "vacation" week here in the North East (probably because they are getting good money for those weeks). They were offering $100 OBC for cabins; $200 for suites, and $150 PP change per person for change fees to airfare.

Because DD cannot travel outside of our vacation break, I called about alternatives and was told we could switch to any other sailing at prevailing rates. We had already selected Enchantment and in fact were able to get a 2 cat upgrade a D1 for less than the price we had booked an E1 on Brilliance. We were able to make the $150 pp change on our airfare to travel out of my parents hometown rather than Tampa as originally planned. The flights from their town are traditionally a little more than from Tampa, so there was a slight price increase in air fare, but this was offset by the lower cruise fare and OBC.

So all in all, I thought this was a fair offer. We are pleased with our change, We like Coco Cay and after seeing our recent Blue Lagoon photos, DM really wants to try the dolphin encounter in Nassau, even though I don't care to return to Nassau. I do wish they would refrain from "pulling" the cruise off your "my cruises" before having a plan,and informing you, but the designated phone number and very helpful customer service rep (thanks, Kayla) were very helpful!! :D

And now we can concentrate on the fun part...cruising!!:cool:

BTW, Wanted to mention that on these trips that are booked for low deposits and often changed, canceled all together etc, I get around insuring them withing X number of days of booking by buying a policy on Insure My Trip .com that covers pre exsisting conditions IF purchased within X days of FINAL payment. I learned about it here onCC and it has saved me a boatload of money by avoiding insuring trips I "might" take. Now I can insure it when I know I "will" take it (after I've paid for it!!;)) I only do this for cruises with low deposits and a high chance I might cancel. For our large multi component land trips with high deposits, I usually insure at or right after booking- but then Im certain to take those trips unless something tragic happens.

We used the CSA travel protection Custom Lux- if you look at the comparison grid on IMT, you can see if preexisting conditions are waived, and in what time frame.

Alternatively, getting the cruise lines cruise care will be fully refunded if you cancel before the final payment.

Archived