What to wear when under MDR dress standards?

fiedav

...I hoped that someone here would have a reason for the dress code. You supplied more info than anyone else, and for that, thank you....

...But surely someone (not necessarily you) could give me some reason why Celebrity enforces a dress code. And it's not like I could have the same dining experience just down the road, especially if I want to eat specialty restaurant food.

Ahhh!! This puts this whole thread in a totally different light. Your original post asked a factual question which was more or less about whether you could get by wearing shorts and a t-shirt in the MDR. Now you're asking for a debate on the general reason of why there would be a dress code, why Celebrity would enforce one and therefore why anyone would want to sail on a cruise line that has a dress code.

Would you like to continue that here or would you like to start a new thread that's titled "Why does Celebrity have a dress code and why would anyone want to follow one?"

Now that we've totally switched from a factual question of whether shorts and t-shirts will suffice and changed into a more philosophical discussion of the propriety of a dress code let me give you my OPINION on the matter - as opposed to the factual answer I thought I was providing above.

My own spin is that sometimes my dear wife and I enjoy dressing up. It makes for a fancy elegant eventing and gives us a chance to look nice. Being in an place where others are similarly dressed adds to the whole elegant atmosphere and it is something that we find fun and enjoyable. We like this so much we're willing to go through the effort and cost of buying, packing & transporting, and putting on smart looking clothing on some nights and formal clothing on others. Personally, I just like the way everyone looks when they are dressed up a bit and LOVE the way my beautiful wife looks when she's dressed up.

I think the cruise industry knows that there are some people who like dressing up and some who really prefer a very casual environment. That is why some lines have the dress code and some don't - to provide us with choices. Celebrity is a line that markets itself to those that do like a more elegant, dressed up. atmosphere in the evenings. The elegant atmosphere we seek is best achieved if others around us are similarly dressed. That is why we go to elegant places (like fancy restaurants or cruise ships with a dress code) when we want to wear nice things rather than putting our fancy duds on and heading to the local fast food chain or pizza joint. Since Celebrity's target market has historically been people who enjoy dressing up in this way and since the atmosphere is best served by having all, or almost all, guests dress similarly it makes perfect sense that Celebrity maintains a dress code and enforces it. Likewise it makes perfect sense that other cruise lines, like NCL, advertise the fact that they do not in order to let the more casual crowd know they are welcome there.

So, Scots are granted dispensation and allowed to wear kilts on formal nights (which I fully support), but you wouldn't grant a disabled person in a wheelchair any form of dispensation whatsoever. An interesting perspective.

The kilts that I've seen the Scotsmen on board wearing on formal night are very formal - at least as formal as a standard Tux or formal dinner jacket and much more formal than a regular suit which is allowed as part of the dress code. I don't consider this dispensation at all. On the other hand I don't know of any place in the world where shorts and a t-shirt are considered formal attire.

My own spin is that sometimes my dear wife and I enjoy dressing up. It makes for a fancy elegant eventing and gives us a chance to look nice. Being in an place where others are similarly dressed adds to the whole elegant atmosphere and it is something that we find fun and enjoyable. We like this so much we're willing to go through the effort and cost of buying, packing & transporting, and putting on smart looking clothing on some nights and formal clothing on others. Personally, I just like the way everyone looks when they are dressed up a bit and LOVE the way my beautiful wife looks when she's dressed up.

I think the cruise industry knows that there are some people who like dressing up and some who really prefer a very casual environment. That is why some lines have the dress code and some don't - to provide us with choices. Celebrity is a line that markets itself to those that do like a more elegant, dressed up. atmosphere in the evenings. Since the vast majority of their guests prefer to dress this way and also prefer that others on the ship which others dress in the same way to promote an elegant atmosphere, it makes perfect sense that Celebrity maintains a dress code and enforces it. Likewise it makes perfect sense that other cruise lines, like NCL, advertise the fact that they do not in order to let the more casual crowd know they are welcome there.

Very well put! Exactly what I was trying to get across.

So much on Forums about those not wanting to dress in formal wear, etc, etc, but how many are just wanting to be awkward or a debate? We have just returned from a Transatlantic crossing on the Eclipse and from seeing all the 'debate' about wearing formal clothes I did wonder should we take tux, etc. so glad we did as almost all men wore tux or suits. Many more ladies than in recent cruises wore long dresses - some of the younger passengers had very formal beaded dresses - wonderful! Some, of course, did not dress in formal wear but they did look awkward and uncomfortable walking round or trying to sink into lounge chairs. They certainly were not standing round chatting with other guests - they actually looked a little left out but I suppose that is what they wanted anyway - to be different!

I did see some some national dress, ie kilts, etc which looked really appropriate as they were worn with obvious pride - quite right.

To be honest it is a waste of time trying to explain the rules of clothing to those who do not want to listen. They have their opinions, which they are unlikely to change. I can only say that there are cruise lines which would suit everybody's tastes so choose a cruise to suit your needs but don't spoil a cruise experience for others.

So, Scots are granted dispensation and allowed to wear kilts on formal nights (which I fully support), but you wouldn't grant a disabled person in a wheelchair any form of dispensation whatsoever. An interesting perspective.

umm I am disabled.I fully expect to be in my very own WC full time in the next five years. and sorry, but a Kilt is a formal mode of dress accepted world wide( and Mr Spook wears his on formal occasions) just like Japanese Kimonos are accepted as such and Indian sarees are.

where are shorts, tee shirts and sandals accepted as a formal attire? and don't say Bermuda. I have seen what passes for Formal wear in Bermuda. and nope, not a sandal in sight..or tee shirt( unless it was underneath the crisp button down, tie and blazer)

the OP keeps arguing about why there is a dress code.

Umm cuz Celebrity sez so. there is no secret hidden ploy or meaning, it is just policy.. Just like the age cut off for adult prices is 10 at Disney. nobody said it had to make sense to you, or that you had to agree with it. but when you choose to sail with Celebrity, you choose to accept their policies and abide by them.

My take on why Celebrity has a dress code (which is basically their decision, not their passenger’s decision), is because they want a certain ambience in their restaurant. They want a more up-scale feel to the MDR, as many land restaurants do. I was just in Las Vegas with 5 friends and when I was choosing the restaurants, via their web sites, I noticed that some said casual and some said business casual and after going to a number of them, you could tell that they also wanted a certain ambience in their restaurant.

I think there is always a way, if one chooses, to abide by a dress code; there have been quite a few suggests how you could. If one does not want to abide by the dress code, then they risk the chance of being turned away. If you are dead set on wearing your t-shirt and shorts to the MDR, then I would suggest that you call Celebrity and ask if it would be okay, because of your circumstances. What I wouldn’t have done was to come on here and ask for advice, because it might not be what you want to hear; not to mention that no one on here can speak for Celebrity.

Enjoy your cruise!

p.s. since the ADA was brought up, if you feel that by Celebrity having a dress code for all guests is against ADA's policies, then I would suggest you call them and discuss the issue with them.

Ahhh!! This puts this whole thread in a totally different light. Your original post asked a factual question which was more or less about whether you could get by wearing shorts and a t-shirt in the MDR. Now you're asking for a debate on the general reason of why there would be a dress code, why Celebrity would enforce one and therefore why anyone would want to sail on a cruise line that has a dress code.

Would you like to continue that here or would you like to start a new thread that's titled "Why does Celebrity have a dress code and why would anyone want to follow one?"

Now that we've totally switched from a factual question of whether shorts and t-shirts will suffice and changed into a more philosophical discussion of the propriety of a dress code let me give you my OPINION on the matter - as opposed to the factual answer I thought I was providing above.

I think the cruise industry knows that there are some people who like dressing up and some who really prefer a very casual environment. That is why some lines have the dress code and some don't - to provide us with choices. Celebrity is a line that markets itself to those that do like a more elegant, dressed up. atmosphere in the evenings. The elegant atmosphere we seek is best achieved if others around us are similarly dressed. That is why we go to elegant places (like fancy restaurants or cruise ships with a dress code) when we want to wear nice things rather than putting our fancy duds on and heading to the local fast food chain or pizza joint. Since Celebrity's target market has historically been people who enjoy dressing up in this way and since the atmosphere is best served by having all, or almost all, guests dress similarly it makes perfect sense that Celebrity maintains a dress code and enforces it. Likewise it makes perfect sense that other cruise lines, like NCL, advertise the fact that they do not in order to let the more casual crowd know they are welcome there.

The kilts that I've seen the Scotsmen on board wearing on formal night are very formal - at least as formal as a standard Tux or formal dinner jacket and much more formal than a regular suit which is allowed as part of the dress code. I don't consider this dispensation at all. On the other hand I don't know of any place in the world where shorts and a t-shirt are considered formal attire.

Well said.

I've been watching this thread for a couple days and find the turn it has taken quite interesting. Really, only Celebrity can answer the question as to "why" they enforce a dress code. They have it, and it's no secret as to what it is. For many of us, it sets the tone and atmosphere of the experience we wish to have on our vacation; we are certainly free to choose another line if we don't like what this one has to offer. However, once one makes the decision to sail with Celebrity, or any line that has, and enforces, a dress code, one should respect it.

umm I am disabled.I fully expect to be in my very own WC full time in the next five years. and sorry, but a Kilt is a formal mode of dress accepted world wide( and Mr Spook wears his on formal occasions) just like Japanese Kimonos are accepted as such and Indian sarees are.

where are shorts, tee shirts and sandals accepted as a formal attire? and don't say Bermuda. I have seen what passes for Formal wear in Bermuda. and nope, not a sandal in sight..or tee shirt( unless it was underneath the crisp button down, tie and blazer)

the OP keeps arguing about why there is a dress code.

Umm cuz Celebrity sez so. there is no secret hidden ploy or meaning, it is just policy.. Just like the age cut off for adult prices is 10 at Disney. nobody said it had to make sense to you, or that you had to agree with it. but when you choose to sail with Celebrity, you choose to accept their policies and abide by them.

I think that you and Lsimon missed my point, probably my fault for not explaining myself clearly.

You and others quote Celebrity policy and say, rightly I might add, that we should all abide by it. Fair enough. I simply pointed out that the published Celebrity policy does not allow for kilts on formal nights, so based on your own argument, should not be allowed.

You can't have it both ways: either there has to be strict adherence by everyone to the policy, as written, in which case no kilts (as much as I love them), or you allow reasonable exceptions that are probably best granted or denied by Celebrity staff. Whether or not kilts should be on the list of approved apparel is a separate discussion.

Personally, I dress appropriately for formal nights and often wear a jacket and tie on other nights when they're not required. Just my upbringing. But someone in a wheelchair wearing a polo shirt wouldn't upset me. That being said, I'm but one passenger of many, which is why I'd leave it to the discretion of the Celebrity staff.

I have 3 boys 16,16 & 20 all with mitochondrial disease and while they can walk the oldest gets very tired and needs a scooter for distance - working with insurance company to get now and one of the twins uses a wheelchair. My mom also needs a scooter for distances - has had 2 knee replacements and will use a regular wheelchair for excursions. My mom never wears dresses these days because her legs are so bruised from wounds but she has gone to black tie affairs and looks amazing in beaded tops, etc. I have tried to get her to try a maxi dress to no avail - me I am the opposite I am almost always in a dress. My boys also always get dressed appropriately.

As for why only the creator of the rules can tell you - but . . . as I tell my boys rules are supposed to be followed and not broken. Yes there are people who do not want to get dressed to the 9s for dinner so they have the buffet of specialty restaurants or room service.

Personally someone not dressed will not make me feel uncomfortable - I may make a comment to my partner or something but to each is own. However, I think rules and laws are meant to be followed (maybe something to do with the JD degree I have).

Roger - my partner is also very comfortable in and prefers shorts and t-shirts. Over the last 10 years he has learned to adapt. 10 years ago he got upset when at my moms country club they asked him to remove his hat - he has now learned and says I need to pack khakis to see your mom -and a collared shirt :) We were discussing this topic at lunch today and he was like I don't mid get dressed up for dinner - it is the right thing to do -I can always change after dinner if I like.

To each his own - but as the mom of 3 chronically ill and "disabled" boys and a mom who needs mobility assistance I do not understand that as a rationale for not complying. It seems you are more comfortable dressing a certain way as it is easier for you and that is understandable - but just because something is easier does not make it right.

Sharon

Hi Larry.

Somewhat off-topic, but do you remember on our Silhouette TA last fall, they stated that Formal Wear was expected only in the MDR. In all other venues (specialty restaurants, BLU), Dress Casual was acceptable. Well, on our recent Infinity cruise (4 months later), the policy was that Formal was expected everywhere, except of course, the Ocenview Cafe. How's that for consistency ? How is one (not us, since we will wear formal anyway) supposed to know what the policy is ?

Ira

I have 3 boys 16,16 & 20 all with mitochondrial disease and while they can walk the oldest gets very tired and needs a scooter for distance - working with insurance company to get now and one of the twins uses a wheelchair. My mom also needs a scooter for distances - has had 2 knee replacements and will use a regular wheelchair for excursions. My mom never wears dresses these days because her legs are so bruised from wounds but she has gone to black tie affairs and looks amazing in beaded tops, etc. I have tried to get her to try a maxi dress to no avail - me I am the opposite I am almost always in a dress. My boys also always get dressed appropriately.

As for why only the creator of the rules can tell you - but . . . as I tell my boys rules are supposed to be followed and not broken. Yes there are people who do not want to get dressed to the 9s for dinner so they have the buffet of specialty restaurants or room service.

Personally someone not dressed will not make me feel uncomfortable - I may make a comment to my partner or something but to each is own. However, I think rules and laws are meant to be followed (maybe something to do with the JD degree I have).

Roger - my partner is also very comfortable in and prefers shorts and t-shirts. Over the last 10 years he has learned to adapt. 10 years ago he got upset when at my moms country club they asked him to remove his hat - he has now learned and says I need to pack khakis to see your mom -and a collared shirt :) We were discussing this topic at lunch today and he was like I don't mid get dressed up for dinner - it is the right thing to do -I can always change after dinner if I like.

To each his own - but as the mom of 3 chronically ill and "disabled" boys and a mom who needs mobility assistance I do not understand that as a rationale for not complying. It seems you are more comfortable dressing a certain way as it is easier for you and that is understandable - but just because something is easier does not make it right.

Sharon

I agree you are absolutely right.:)

I think that you and Lsimon missed my point, probably my fault for not explaining myself clearly.

You and others quote Celebrity policy and say, rightly I might add, that we should all abide by it. Fair enough. I simply pointed out that the published Celebrity policy does not allow for kilts on formal nights, so based on your own argument, should not be allowed.

You can't have it both ways: either there has to be strict adherence by everyone to the policy, as written, in which case no kilts (as much as I love them), or you allow reasonable exceptions that are probably best granted or denied by Celebrity staff. Whether or not kilts should be on the list of approved apparel is a separate discussion. ...

Sorry, no one can possibly argue that a formal kilt is not formal wear. If you take it to the extremely narrow definition that you're using in your example the Captain and all the other Officers on the ship would not be in compliance with the formal dress code because they wear formal uniforms. Clearly any attire which is generally accepted as being formal attire is fine for formal nights.

Huh? where does it say Kilts/Kimono/Saree/Nehru are expressly forbidden? nowhere. The guidelines are written for Americans as the majority of cruisers leaving form American ports are.. unsurprisingly, American. doesn't mean the list is so rigid that other means of formal attire as accepted by a culture are verboten

By that argument Mr Spook would also be turned away for wearing his Dinner Mess dress Uniform as it too is not specifically listed a being allowed.

Not only has he and every other person wearing a formal uniform( to include police and fire department versions) been allowed.. from more than one country, he's been stopped multiple time to be complimented on his attired and/or thanked for his service.

but shorts ARE expressly listed as being inappropriate. now, when in Bermuda, I expect and have no issue with that being bent, as some styles of Bermuda shorts ARE formal attire.. especially when properly worn with a jacket and tie. NOT a tee shirt. The OP wants to wear a pair of casual elastic waist shorts.. NOT even a nice pair of pleated ones you can get at LL Bean

To be honest it is a waste of time trying to explain the rules of clothing to those who do not want to listen. They have their opinions, which they are unlikely to change. I can only say that there are cruise lines which would suit everybody's tastes so choose a cruise to suit your needs but don't spoil a cruise experience for others.

There are "rules" of clothing?

There are people "who do not want to listen?" (I read every response here, so I must want to listen.)

How do I "spoil a cruise experience for others?" (Does one do a clothing audit on the other passengers?)

There is a dress code because very many of us who cruise like special occasion nights. We like to dress up and we like to see others in their finery too. It's called 'decorum'. Try it, it's fun!

Ah, so I'll spoil your enjoyment of Formal Nights. I knew there was something.

But don't worry - if Celebrity would admit me on other nights, I'd stay out of the MDR on Formal Nights.

Maybe Celebrity could make Formal dress obligatory on Formal Nights in the MDR? But they don't, because there would not be enough people there.

rules are supposed to be followed and not broken.

However, I think rules and laws are meant to be followed (maybe something to do with the JD degree I have).

Sharon:

Rules may be meant to be followed and not broken, but you wouldn't have a job and the legal system would not exist if that were 100 per cent true. The courts interpret the laws and I believe that the opinion of the judge and jury is paramount, subject to the appeals court.

However, I'm not advocating that people break laws and take their chances in the courts. I'm saying that rules should be challenged. People can challenge laws in public without breaking them, and indeed that has been the history of the U.S.A. since the Revolution.

Huh? where does it say Kilts/Kimono/Saree/Nehru are expressly forbidden? nowhere.

I think I have a solution.

I will wear a kilt (in spite of being from "South of the border") and a t-shirt with a blanket wrapped round the top of me like a shawl, like Indian women do.

I could wear a wig, and I do a fairly convincing Indian accent.

So no problem. :D

Sharon:

Rules may be meant to be followed and not broken, but you wouldn't have a job and the legal system would not exist if that were 100 per cent true. The courts interpret the laws and I believe that the opinion of the judge and jury is paramount, subject to the appeals court.

However, I'm not advocating that people break laws and take their chances in the courts. I'm saying that rules should be challenged. People can challenge laws in public without breaking them, and indeed that has been the history of the U.S.A. since the Revolution.

I would suggest that you challenge the rules. I'm sure that was what you had in mind all along. But again, to come on here asking a question, that you don't want to hear the answer that you are given is not how to go about it. Call Celebrity and if you don't like what they say or what happens on the ship, then call the ADA if you want to challenge the dress code as being discriminatory based on your handicap. Challenge away, it is the American way! But please don't put others down because they feel the dress code should be followed by all; because after all everyone is entitled to their opinion and no one's opinion is more valuable than another.

No matter what happens, I hope you enjoy your cruise.

Sharon:

While we have a history of pushing rules and laws to the limits and challenging them - in general I think we need to teach our children to follow the rules and this is what I do with my boys. As all 3 of my boys have a genetic metabolic disease and face severe limitations in certain areas - one has been g-tube dependent since he was 18 months old he is now 16 and yes still has a g-tube. I also tell my boys that they can do anything they want - as long as (1) it is safe and it won't hurt them (2) it can be adapted and (3) not against the law. I have attended more IEP meetings than I can count and I think I know the ADA better than most people.

The ADA only requires reasonable accommodations = not a complete abandonment of their rules and regulations. Asking someone to not come to a formal dinner in shorts and a t-shirt is a reasonable request and it does not appear that you are unable to wear anything else but rather as you have stated you are more comfortable in those clothes and that is understandable - I am more comfortable in dress (even wear them to NASCAR races) and my mom prefers pants and roger prefers shorts. But that is a preference and can be modified as necessary or required. The blanket over your legs is a good solution for your legs. I am going to assume you would not be traveling alone so you would have help to allow you to put on a button down shirt and a tie and jacket. To be honest sometimes it feels nice and makes one feel special. If there was a physical reason you could not dress in anything but shorts and t-shirts then yes it would be reasonable to accommodate that request but since it seems there is no physical reason just a preference – then you should try to comply with the request of the established dress code.

While no one is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to cruise on Celebrity or any other line or to comply with the established dress code, when you pay for the cruise you are provided with rules and regulations – the same as when you fly. No knives, this many bottles of wine, etc. If you take something you should not have it is taken away and held until the end of the cruise. Same with dress. If you do not want to dress for formal nights you have options, room service (which will provide MDR menu) the buffet or specialty restaurants. I do understand where you are coming from. My boys cannot tie their own ties – I do them. Two cannot tie their own shoes so I do that too. While it may not be easy for them to dress up – we do it.

As for how the dress code is complied with and what doesn’t comply -

know it when I see it" as Justice Potter Stewart said in the obscenity case Jacobellis v. Ohio. Yes the dress code could be defined as subjective and while there are some parameters as to what is not acceptable, one could claim they are not clearly defined. However certain things are clear – no shorts on formal night and they give examples as to what is acceptable.

As I said it seems more that you prefer to dress comfortably (no issues with that) but there is no reason you cannot dress up for formal night and there I think lies the problem. The ship does not need to make a reasonable accommodation if you do not want to comply but only if you cannot comply.

As one who has spent many days and evenings fighting for my kids to be able to do certain things I understand reasonable accommodations very well.

My suggestion and you are open to not follow any suggestions you receive – if you feel you would be comfortable with the Celebrity cruise then go with the flow and do not fight it and enjoy yourself. If you prefer not to play dress up then have a great dinner at the buffet –t here are many who prefer this to dressing up and there you can wear your shorts and t-shirts.

You seem like an intelligent gentleman and educated so take this for what it is worth from a parent who is constantly fighting for her boys to be included – if you cannot comply with a rule then ask for a reasonable accommodation but if you do not want to comply because it is easier or it is your preference to dress a different way – then either (1) don’t cruise with a cruise line that has a dress code for the main dining room (2) modify your dress for evening – non formal nights use the blanket and put on a polo shirt instead of a t-shirt and you will be fine and (3) for formal nights chose not to eat in the dining room or dress in compliance with the rules to the best of your ability.

Sharon

but shorts ARE expressly listed as being inappropriate. now, when in Bermuda, I expect and have no issue with that being bent, as some styles of Bermuda shorts ARE formal attire.. especially when properly worn with a jacket and tie.

Ah, more personal exceptions, now geographically based. :D

You do tend to contradict yourself, Spookwife, saying in the same paragraph that shorts are "expressly listed as being inappropriate", but you choose to make an exception for Bermuda shorts.

So, you get to pick and choose when to adhere to and when to bend Celebrity's rules, but others don't? Doesn't seem quite fair to me...

Lawblond7 --- well said! I see you are from No VA, by the way. I practiced law there for many years before we moved to SC three years ago.

It seems like so many have offered excellent suggestions and options here, but it just seems to me now that the OP just wants to argue. While I'm not at all unsympathetic to his situation, if he wants to sail on Celebrity he is free to do so as long as, like the rest of us, he follows the rules they set or eat in a dining venue that can accommodate his clothing choices.

Ah, so I'll spoil your enjoyment of Formal Nights. I knew there was something.

But don't worry - if Celebrity would admit me on other nights, I'd stay out of the MDR on Formal Nights.

Maybe Celebrity could make Formal dress obligatory on Formal Nights in the MDR? But they don't, because there would not be enough people there.

The word 'spoil' or any other negative term was not present in this post.

Its not that I "don't like your answers." It's just that I hoped that someone here would have a reason for the dress code. You supplied more info than anyone else, and for that, thank you.

But if you don't want to debate the dress code, then don't debate it.

I don't like the idea of "people like you." From what I see of individuals' pictures of life on board, I'd fit right in to the Celebrity passenger profile. I'm aged 69, have white hair, and I haven't enjoyed a wild night out since my early 20s, or a drink since my mid-fifties.

Yes, and I appreciate that.

But surely someone (not necessarily you) could give me some reason why Celebrity enforces a dress code. And it's not like I could have the same dining experience just down the road, especially if I want to eat specialty restaurant food.

Celebrity has the right to ask what ever they like of their passengers.If you do not agree with their policies then don't sail with them, its as simple as that

Lawblond7 --- well said! I see you are from No VA, by the way. I practiced law there for many years before we moved to SC three years ago.

It seems like so many have offered excellent suggestions and options here, but it just seems to me now that the OP just wants to argue. While I'm not at all unsympathetic to his situation, if he wants to sail on Celebrity he is free to do so as long as, like the rest of us, he follows the rules they set or eat in a dining venue that can accommodate his clothing choices.

I have been in Alexandria (No VA) for the last 10 years - via Southern NJ (A born and raised Jersey girl). I work as a contracts manager for a major government contractor here.

And yes many suggestions have been offered. As I said as a mom with 3 boys with chronic medical conditions I try to teach them to comply with rules despite their disabilities. On the other hand when we need accommodations we ask - i.e. when we fly I have literally and entire suitcase of medications - including lots of liquid meds. I tell TSA ahead of time - before the scan the bag and have never had them open the bag.

Sharon

Archived