London Eye Daytime or night?

Both offer spectacular, but different views. Just be aware that sunset in London at the end of July will be not far short of 9pm. In July The Eye shuts at 9:30pm so you can do it.

I strongly advise you to book in advance though as it may well be very busy. The last week of July and the first in August are popular holiday weeks in the UK.

http://www.londoneye.com/Experience/

What is the best time to ride the London Eye?
Personally, I think that the morning is best. This is (again) because of the sun. It shines across the river onto the river frontages of the Houses of Parliament and the other buildings lining the Embankment, and allows you to see them in their best light because the sun is behind you as you look at them. Also, if you like this sort of thing, you will get to see the Eye's shadow falling across the river.

If you go close to sunset, when you look across the river to those buildings you will be looking into the evening light, and possibly even directly into the sun.

Time your flight for dusk - go up in daylight and come down in the dusk - two different views for the price of one!

The other thing to consider is a river boat trip downstream to Greenwich - go down in daylight and back at night.

Time your flight for dusk - go up in daylight and come down in the dusk - two different views for the price of one! The other thing to consider is a river boat trip downstream to Greenwich - go down in daylight and back at night.

I agree with Steve - Sundown. My flat was only a couple of blocks from The Eye. I went in late afternoon and there were No Lines. I had not booked on line. I was there in August. Daylight to Dusk is best.

Yes, very costly. However, what isn't nowadays. Yes, it was worth it - once in a Lifetime.

Donna

Any skyscrapers in London offering an observation deck?

Yes, the Shard recently opened and has an observation area. However at 24.95 pounds for an adult it is a little pricey. At 1016 ft it's the tallest building in Western Europe. Viewing is available from floors 68, 69 and 72.

Any skyscrapers in London offering an observation deck?

Yes. I was going to post this in any case, the View from the Shard opened a couple of months ago - it is a deck near the top of the new tallest building in Western Europe. About the same price as the Eye, but an awful lot taller (and doesn't rotate, of course!)

http://www.theviewfromtheshard.com/#about-the-view

While we are talking about the Shard, don't forget to visit Borough Market (just a stride or two away, )if you are there on a Thursday, Friday or Saturday. Brilliant place to sample food from all over and buy foodie souvenirs. Also Southwark CAthedral - which in some respects is nicer than St Paul's.

While we are talking about the Shard, don't forget to visit Borough Market (just a stride or two away, )if you are there on a Thursday, Friday or Saturday. Brilliant place to sample food from all over and buy foodie souvenirs. Also Southwark CAthedral - which in some respects is nicer than St Paul's.

Good points about my old manor. So often on here people are looking to 'do' London in2 or 3 days (for good reason, of course) - whereas you could happily spend a whole day within a few hundred yards of London Bridge, in an area many tourists won't even touch :)

Don't forget to allow another £7.50 for a photograph of you in the pod.

I have to go back to get our picture taken!! Last time we got a picture of our backs!!! My only regret from that trip was not buying the picture!!:D:D Still laugh at our stupidity!!

I have to go back to get our picture taken!! Last time we got a picture of our backs!!! My only regret from that trip was not buying the picture!!:D:D Still laugh at our stupidity!!

The experienced Eyer's get into pole position for the cameras. They are on the ends of the pods and take the pics about halfway down the other side.

The experienced Eyer's get into pole position for the cameras. They are on the ends of the pods and take the pics about halfway down the other side.

Now we know!!! We tell the story to all our friends when they travel to London. But in our defense, we were not the only ones looking at the wrong side!!:):)

Archived