Anyone ever voluntarily left a cruise mid-point?

jean95404

Does it make any difference if this is done in a foreign port as opposed to a United States port? My friend did it in 2011, but it was in Alaska. I don't recall him having any INS problems. He started in Incheon, South Korea with us. We got off in Anchorage.

I am not aware of any law or regulation that requires a US citizen to return to the US by the same method/route used to leave. I am perplexed why INS would have called in the first place.

Does it make any difference if this is done in a foreign port as opposed to a United States port? My friend did it in 2011, but it was in Alaska. I don't recall him having any INS problems. He started in Incheon, South Korea with us. We got off in Anchorage.

Since your friend boarded the ship outside the US, getting off in a US port before the end of the trip was not a problem. The US gets excited if you board a ship in the US and try to get off in a different US port.

Kind of agree... and I don't think travel insurance covers this. Today a co-worker left on a cruise that she originally booked with her husband back in fall of 2012. A few days ago she announced she is getting divorced and is now going on the 12-night cruise alone (she has friends going on the cruise, a married couple, but she is in a stateroom by herself). The cruise was paid for and they had already bought plane tickets and a couple of excursions.

She said she was going to make a claim with the travel agency to help reimburse now for the single supplement, but I doubt they have a clause for seperation or divorce??? They are military, but the military clause in their insurance only covers in the event he is called to war, a natural disaster, orders change to another duty station during the cruise, or if leave is revoked by leadership/commander.

In any case, I'd only plan for a trip like a cruise with a person that is going to be on my good side, at least until the cruise is over :D That's a lot of money to gamble on a rocky and possible horribly ending relationship.

Reminds me of my college roomie. She had booked a trip to Hawaii with her then-husband but then decided she didn't want to be married to him anymore (later on, I figured she had more than a passing interest with a lab partner that she was taking classes with). She called me and asked if I was interested in going to Hawaii with her to fill her husband's slot. Never been there, and had some vacation days saved, so why not.

A few months later, I ended up condo/puppy seating for her and that lab partner while they went on their honeymoon.:)

I am not aware of any law or regulation that requires a US citizen to return to the US by the same method/route used to leave. I am perplexed why INS would have called in the first place.

Probably because they were still on the manifest and didn't disembark.

In 1978 we were on a cruise out of New Orleans that we had taken because it was a benefit to help some children. We were just sailing the Gulf of Mexico. When we got to Veracruz, Mexico another couple and my wife got together and said we ought to get off the ship. It was definitely a poor cruise in that the food was always cold coming up on a dumbwaiter from the kitchen several decks below. The cabin was so small one could hardly move around in it, but it was a cruise and I was content.

1978? Bad Food? Small Cabins???? But that was back in the good old days that the seasoned cruisers on this board are always telling us were so much better than cruising these days! :confused::D

Answer: YES. We 'jumped ship' voluntarily on the South Island of New Zealand in 2004. We told the Front Desk what we were doing. We signed a piece of stationary telling them of our intentions. "OK, bye-bye." We rejoined the Cruise ship later. Many people on 'Round-the-World' cruises have flown home for business etc. then rejoin their cruise...or not. Others may need to accompany their deceased partner's remains home. A couple we cruised with to Italy left mid-cruise because they were bored. There's many reasons for people to 'Voluntarily Leave' a Cruiseship mid point. Locomotiveman Tom

1978? Bad Food? Small Cabins???? But that was back in the good old days that the seasoned cruisers on this board are always telling us were so much better than cruising these days! :confused::D

Doug,

It was a benefit cruise so pay the money go on the cruise and let the cripple children benefit. The smaller ships were always more fun when you used the ship just to go from port to port and disembarking wasn't such a pain as it is on the mega ships we have now.

The smaller ships were not as good money makers at the same cruise price and many went out of business. The only small ships now that are any good cost about twice the larger ships.

Kind of agree... and I don't think travel insurance covers this. Today a co-worker left on a cruise that she originally booked with her husband back in fall of 2012.

In any case, I'd only plan for a trip like a cruise with a person that is going to be on my good side, at least until the cruise is over :D That's a lot of money to gamble on a rocky and possible horribly ending relationship.

Maybe things were fine between them when they booked.

If not, it is sad indeed.

Archived