Anyone ever voluntarily left a cruise mid-point?

jean95404

While discussing cruising with friends, a question came up that really got me to thinking. What if you were cruising with a someone (male or female) and the relationship became too uncomfortable to continue sharing a room. What would you do? Leave the cruise? See if other accomodations were available? Ask the other party to leave?

Well, leaving a cruise in mid-point is a little more complicated than a land vacation. It's not as simple as just checking out of a hotel and catching a cab to the airport. Among other things, you'd have to consider:

-- how you'd get home from the next port;

-- whether or not you have the proper documentation to get home (ie: a passport on a closed-loop cruise);

-- if leaving the cruise at that point would possibly put you in violation of the Passenger Vessel Services Act (a high fine that the cruise line would expect you to pay). :eek:

Other then a medical or some type of other emergency as others have said you may not be able to leave the ship. You would have to find out during the cruise unless you knew specifically where you would get off and checked with the cruise line now.

Keith

You wold need to get permission from the port you are disembarking at as well as the ship. In many cases, if you are on a closed loop cruise, you would need a passport, even if a BC/DL was sufficient for the cruise.

You would not receive a partial or full refund.

It would be your problem that airplane tickets are from another city.

All extra expenses would be your problem

I tend to get up early and head up to the lido deck to make myself a cup of tea. On two occasions, I've witnessed couples fighting during the day and then I see the poor dude(s) sleeping on one of the lounge chairs in what they were wearing the day before. :(

I tend to get up early and head up to the lido deck to make myself a cup of tea. On two occasions, I've witnessed couples fighting during the day and then I see the poor dude(s) sleeping on one of the lounge chairs in what they were wearing the day before. :(

Not a good vacation

If you are are worried about the companion you will be traveling with -- cancel the cruise now before you get on the ship.

I agree with you on that one.

would you consider this as part of the carnival satisfaction guarantee where they fly you back from your first foriegn port to the embarkment port? if there is a $300 fine i wonder if carnival pays it or you? i guess if the customer has to pay it the people scamming or not really super unsatisfied with the ship wouldn't use it.

If you are are worried about the companion you will be traveling with -- cancel the cruise now before you get on the ship.

Kind of agree... and I don't think travel insurance covers this. Today a co-worker left on a cruise that she originally booked with her husband back in fall of 2012. A few days ago she announced she is getting divorced and is now going on the 12-night cruise alone (she has friends going on the cruise, a married couple, but she is in a stateroom by herself). The cruise was paid for and they had already bought plane tickets and a couple of excursions.

She said she was going to make a claim with the travel agency to help reimburse now for the single supplement, but I doubt they have a clause for seperation or divorce??? They are military, but the military clause in their insurance only covers in the event he is called to war, a natural disaster, orders change to another duty station during the cruise, or if leave is revoked by leadership/commander.

In any case, I'd only plan for a trip like a cruise with a person that is going to be on my good side, at least until the cruise is over :D That's a lot of money to gamble on a rocky and possible horribly ending relationship.

would you consider this as part of the carnival satisfaction guarantee where they fly you back from your first foriegn port to the embarkment port? if there is a $300 fine i wonder if carnival pays it or you? i guess if the customer has to pay it the people scamming or not really super unsatisfied with the ship wouldn't use it.

The PVSA doesn't apply if you leave the ship in a foreign port, that's why CCL's guarentee specifies that you must leave at the first foreign port.

Not sure "fighting with cabin mate" would cut it for the Carnival guarentee. Of course, you can always make up reasons you hate it. The guarentee is specificly for the first FORIEGN port. The fine, if any would involve a US port.

Or book a rear balcony cabin and then tell you partner that if they lean really far over they can see the propellor:D:D:D

How about telling them there is a really good "swimming w fishes" excursion just off the stern of the ship and it is free.

DON

While discussing cruising with friends, a question came up that really got me to thinking. What if you were cruising with a someone (male or female) and the relationship became too uncomfortable to continue sharing a room. What would you do? Leave the cruise? See if other accomodations were available? Ask the other party to leave?

In 1978 we were on a cruise out of New Orleans that we had taken because it was a benefit to help some children. We were just sailing the Gulf of Mexico. When we got to Veracruz, Mexico another couple and my wife got together and said we ought to get off the ship. It was definitely a poor cruise in that the food was always cold coming up on a dumbwaiter from the kitchen several decks below. The cabin was so small one could hardly move around in it, but it was a cruise and I was content.

We “jumped Ship” by just getting our things together and telling the cruise director and we left catching a local (school) bus to the airport and flying to Mexico City and spending a few days. It was a rewarding trip in that I bought a very nice onyx bar and had it shipped home and still have it today.

When we got back home the INS called us because they couldn’t understand how we got back in the country. We had flown back from Mexico City and went through INS at New Orleans airport took a cab to the port, got our car and went home. It was easily cleared up by phone. I thought the INS would have had better tracking than that, but they did realize that we did not come back into the country the same way we left.

I have a friend that did the same thing in Valdez, Alaska in 2011 off the Silver Shadow. Reason they left is another story.

I didn't, but wished I had. My first marriage ended on a cruise... He didn't sleep on a lounge chair, but didn't find it much warmer in the cabin.

The 7 hours in a packed Miami airport did NOTHING to improve the weekend.

On the upside, my NEW husband and I are booked on our third cruise in 14 months...

I didn't, but wished I had. My first marriage ended on a cruise... He didn't sleep on a lounge chair, but didn't find it much warmer in the cabin.

On the upside, my NEW husband and I are booked on our third cruise in 14 months...

Glad there is a happy ending to your story

Well, that explains your name! Congrats on your new, improved marriage!!:)

In 1978 we were on a cruise out of New Orleans that we had taken because it was a benefit to help some children. We were just sailing the Gulf of Mexico. When we got to Veracruz, Mexico another couple and my wife got together and said we ought to get off the ship. It was definitely a poor cruise in that the food was always cold coming up on a dumbwaiter from the kitchen several decks below. The cabin was so small one could hardly move around in it, but it was a cruise and I was content.

We “jumped Ship” by just getting our things together and telling the cruise director and we left catching a local (school) bus to the airport and flying to Mexico City and spending a few days. It was a rewarding trip in that I bought a very nice onyx bar and had it shipped home and still have it today.

When we got back home the INS called us because they couldn’t understand how we got back in the country. We had flown back from Mexico City and went through INS at New Orleans airport took a cab to the port, got our car and went home. It was easily cleared up by phone. I thought the INS would have had better tracking than that, but they did realize that we did not come back into the country the same way we left.

I have a friend that did the same thing in Valdez, Alaska in 2011 off the Silver Shadow. Reason they left is another story.

'

Huge, Huge, Huge difference traveling in 1978 vs today! Suspect nowadays you'd get more than a friendly phone call if you did succeed in getting home.

'

Huge, Huge, Huge difference traveling in 1978 vs today! Suspect nowadays you'd get more than a friendly phone call if you did succeed in getting home.

Does it make any difference if this is done in a foreign port as opposed to a United States port? My friend did it in 2011, but it was in Alaska. I don't recall him having any INS problems. He started in Incheon, South Korea with us. We got off in Anchorage.

Archived