What is the reason for prepaid gratuities on select dining?

AndrewM

They don't know which waiter you have each night in select dining so they pool the tips. They are not pooled in traditional, thus the difference.

I don't understand how they DON'T know what table we're at. On other cruises we've had Anytime, My Time, what ever, and we had to tell them what cabin we were in each evening before we were seated. Is it different on Celebrity? I'm not trying to stir the pot. I'm just trying to understand.

I don't understand how they DON'T know what table we're at. On other cruises we've had Anytime, My Time, what ever, and we had to tell them what cabin we were in each evening before we were seated. Is it different on Celebrity? I'm not trying to stir the pot. I'm just trying to understand.

MTD Diners check-in thru a seperate entrance, and have a seperate dining area.

Traditional dining passengers have a table assigned in Traditional dining area.

Thus, it is known that everyone who is in MTD/Selectdining room area Have Pre-paid, and CAN'T be removed...

P.

On our Select dining, we did not have to tell them what cabin we were in, we were just seated. It would be a logistical nightmare to try and figure out where everyone is seated every night in Select dining.

On our Select dining, we did not have to tell them what cabin we were in, we were just seated. It would be a logistical nightmare to try and figure out where everyone is seated every night in Select dining.

OK. I see. You don't have to give them your cabin number the way we did on Freedom of the Seas in May. It didn't seem to be a logistical nightmare what with computerization but this does answer my question. Thank you.

OK. I see. You don't have to give them your cabin number the way we did on Freedom of the Seas in May. It didn't seem to be a logistical nightmare what with computerization but this does answer my question. Thank you.

I'm not going to say on your cruise they won't ask for cabin number, Celebrity has a bad habit of not having all their ships follow the same policies.

I'm not going to say on your cruise they won't ask for cabin number, Celebrity has a bad habit of not having all their ships follow the same policies.

They asked on our recent Solstice cruise, but we didn't mind since we had no trouble remembering our number!

:)

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

I know some people say they like to pay in advance, but I do not. I like to keep my money as long as I can so it's gaining interest for me. This way, Celebrity gets to put the money in their bank instead of leaving it in yours.

I'm not worried about interest on my money. I didn't mention interest in my post.

Really? I thought this amusing. Did you check the post you made?

My experience has been on the last 4 X cruises we've been on that they ask the room number in Select. I assumed it was to make sure you had chosen Select dining and not just wandered in from the Traditional side.

There have been some host/hostesses that once they got to know us didn't ask for the room number.

Archived