Great items to take on your cruise

gumboroux

This is illegal in many countries.

It bears repeating: don't remove food from the ship to take into port unless you've researched the country's regulations about this and there isn't any notice in the ship's newsletter. Better yet, just assume it's illegal and either plan to return to the ship for lunch or buy food in the port. For many ports, you are allowed to take unopened factory-sealed packages such as granola or power bars. But in some places, such as Australia, even these will be taken from you and disposed of you when you are leaving the ship.

I use zip lock bags on our cruises, to keep liquid medications from spilling on other things, to keep items together (really great if you want to utilize the in-cabin safe -- put everything in a large ziplock bag before placing in safe), putting a wet bathing suit in when leaving a beach if you change to do sightseeing.

Purchased a cheap ($27) DVD player and brought several DVD's on our last 49 day cruise. TV on the ship is not exactly stellar and for those times you simply want to be away from people it was a great thing to have. Actually watched all three seasons of "Downton Abbey" and shared them with others on the ship. Watching reruns of loveboat gets old quickly.

One bag seems like a great idea but how do you get by airport security with the amount of liquids like shampoo etc. needed for a long trip?

Maybe cl.klick can answer this, but I was planning on bringing travel sizes along to get me through the first day or two. Paris is our first stop and I will pick up full size bottles there.

By the way, thanks so much cl.klick for all the packing advise. I am really excited about the one bag idea.

I read somewhere that you need to take a small shelf to use in the shower. I found a product called gotoob that is a 2 oz container that has a suction cup on the bottle that sticks to the shower tub! I got several at BB&B.

Clorox wipes- I am not usually paranoid about germs but do not relish being sick on the cruise.

Purex 3 in 1 sheets- Someone suggested this and it makes sense to me if you do laundry.

A chill attitude!

I love GoToobs, I have several and sell them at the luggage store in my part time job. Just an FYI, if the shower wall is not smooth, the tubes may not stick. The first one we bought popped off the wall, fell and the cap broke off, we did get to use the remainder of the contents, but had to keep the tube upright on a shelf.

We now have an assortment of the 3 oz. GoToobs and the GoTubbs and use them on all trips.

The best travel gadget we've ever gotten is this: http://www.magellans.com/magellan-s-travel-tray

It keeps all our cards, cash, watch, eyeglasses etc...handy without all the clutter on the desk. We used an over the door shoe holder...once. I think we left it onboard in the trash can since it was too bulky to pack.

Edited by Happy ks

I checked out the one bag idea and I learned a couple of tips that will help. However, I like having certain things with me and I don't especially like looking for toiletry products in other countries, especially since I have long curly hair and use specific products. We get one free checked bag each with our airfare and as of yet, have had no trouble with delayed luggage. So, checking a bag is not an issue for us.

As far as a nightlight in the bathroom on Princess ships, is there a plug in there that will accept it? I thought those plugs were of a different sort.

For british and european travellers there is the same sort of thing as Purex 3 in 1 on the amazon uk website , it is called Dizolve (yes with a z) washing sheets , hope this helps , seems a good idea for cruising/travelling

As far as a nightlight in the bathroom on Princess ships, is there a plug in there that will accept it? I thought those plugs were of a different sort.

Yes, the electrical outlet is a standard outlet. You can plug in a nite light in there without any problems. I do that on all of my cruises.

Edited by Treven

Purex 3 in 1 sheets- Someone suggested this and it makes sense to me if you do laundry.

I do take these great laundry sheets! But I've been taking less and less with each cruise. I'm sick of hauling a bunch of things "just in case" that I don't end up using. When I go on a land trip for 2 weeks I take only a carryon; for a cruise I am now just using one medium suitcase. Makes traveling so much more enjoyable, especially if we do any pre or post cruise stays. :)

For Melody Hound and any others trying to pack only one bag for a lengthy trip, I'll share what David and I do, although it was not my idea originally, I got it from another travel forum...

Throughout the year, when it's time to replace underwear and socks, tee shirts, etc., we stash them in our "travel closet". When it's time to pack, we retrieve enough of our "old things" to make the trip. Each day as we shower and change clothes, we throw the "old things" away.

We start out with ziploc bags full of our necessities and our load lightens along the way. It makes room for any souvenirs you may want to bring home that are packable.

For any "dirty laundry" that we bring home, we usually pack it in our carry-on bag to help cushion any items that we've bought that are more fragile. I usually pack a light-weight duffle bag in one of the outer zippered pockets on our luggage and it's ready to be a carry-on.

Believe me, I'd rather bring home a case full of clothes from Paris than my old undies, so it doesn't bother me one bit to discard as needed!

Just a suggestion!

Jennifer

Jennifer, we do this too actually. I was kind of ashamed to admit it! LOL :o

Throughout the year, when it's time to replace underwear and socks, tee shirts, etc., we stash them in our "travel closet". When it's time to pack, we retrieve enough of our "old things" to make the trip. Each day as we shower and change clothes, we throw the "old things" away.

Just a suggestion!

Jennifer

Funny - I thought I was the only one to save old undies to take on extended trips and then discard. My husband did that with old golf shirts in Africa but didn't discard. The natives loved them!

Purchased a cheap ($27) DVD player and brought several DVD's on our last 49 day cruise. TV on the ship is not exactly stellar and for those times you simply want to be away from people it was a great thing to have. Actually watched all three seasons of "Downton Abbey" and shared them with others on the ship. Watching reruns of loveboat gets old quickly.

I used to bring a small portable DVD (with a small screen) and a few disks. Now I have gone digital (less weight). Just tested out my new av adapter for my iPad. A nice long hdmi cable, and season 3 of Justified and I am all set.

Don

For Melody Hound and any others trying to pack only one bag for a lengthy trip, I'll share what David and I do, although it was not my idea originally, I got it from another travel forum...

We start out with ziploc bags full of our necessities and our load lightens along the way. It makes room for any souvenirs you may want to bring home that are packable.

For any "dirty laundry" that we bring home, we usually pack it in our carry-on bag to help cushion any items that we've bought that are more fragile. I usually pack a light-weight duffle bag in one of the outer zippered pockets on our luggage and it's ready to be a carry-on.

Believe me, I'd rather bring home a case full of clothes from Paris than my old undies, so it doesn't bother me one bit to discard as needed!

Just a suggestion!

Jennifer

Thank you Jennifer! Wonderful suggestion.

Hi, I have heard of 2 ladies who took disposable pants on their cruise, and had plenty of room for gifts etc, when they disembarked. :D:D

I take a "scrubba wash bag", for undies, sox etc....very handy.

kind regards, Lorraine:):)

Yes, the electrical outlet is a standard outlet. You can plug in a nite light in there without any problems. I do that on all of my cruises.

We just returned from a cruise on the Star and the outlet in the bathroom was labeled for electric razor only. My nightlight would not work, so we just leave the bathroom light on and leave the door ajar.

Hi, I have heard of 2 ladies who took disposable pants on their cruise, and had plenty of room for gifts etc, when they disembarked. :D:D

I take a "scrubba wash bag", for undies, sox etc....very handy.

Lorraine, what is a "scrubba wash bag". Please inform an experienced cruiser. Something I haven't heard about.

Lorraine, what is a "scrubba wash bag". Please inform an experienced cruiser. Something I haven't heard about.

Hi, it is a bag you put water and liquid soap into, then some clothing..seal the bag, get out any air...close again, and gently rub. there are small nodules inside...then empty water, add new water to rinse.. then wring washing and hang out or up.

people buy them for camping etc.

you can buy them on the net...scrubba washbag.

Scrubba_wash_bag_grande.png?647

Edited by fanoforion

One bag seems like a great idea but how do you get by airport security with the amount of liquids like shampoo etc. needed for a long trip?

Answer is ... you don't! This area is some of the advanced planning you need to do. For example, I use tooth powder rather than tooth paste. You sprinkle it on the toothbrush, add water. Works just fine, and it's light weight, and not a liquid. For men, rather than an electric razor (too big, heavy) you might bring a disposable blade razor or two (light), and instead of shaving cream (bulky, heavy), a tiny bottle of shaving oil (comes in 2 oz I think, a drop or two is all you need). Instead of bringing shampoo, buy at destination or use whatever's provided in destination bathrooms. If there's a brand you MUST have and bring, pour into small 3 oz tubes.

As a last resort, one can fall back on realizing that you are not usually going to Siberia. Wherever you are traveling to, some things could be bought there, rather than bringing with you.

That said, best is to find a happy and workable way to do without a lot of liquids in your carry on. This type of problem is all covered in the onebag.com web page. With some trial and error at home, or on a practice small trip or two, you'll figure out what you can get away with.

- Joel