Amsterdam - or Prinsendam ?

I would be more apt to take the Prinsendam:D Both good ships of course but the Prinsendam has those awesome walk in closets and oh, so much storage space. She's older but a grand lady IMO.

People either love or hate the ship. If you like smaller, more intimate ships she's ideal. If you prefer slightly larger then the Amsterdam would be the choice.

On thing - the Prinsendam does not have a retractable ceiling to cover the Lido in inclement weather. That being said, there is no other ship like her in the fleet. She's in a class all of her own!

Either ship will provide a wonderful cruise in an elegant atmosphere. But the ships are different in style and layout. The Amsterdam has a bit (just a bit) more in the way of entertainment venues. That could be important over a longer cruise, if you stay out for a while at night. The Prinsendam has more personal service. The crew will know your name, likes & dislikes, within a day.

Kazu made some good points about the Prinsendam's walk-in closets in most cabins, and the lack of a dome-over pool. It's not just for swimming/sunning that the pool is a consideration. In inclement weather one can get awfully wet going from the forward elevators to the Lido food! :eek:

You really can't go wrong with either ship. If necessary, flip a coin to decide.

While I havn't yet sailed the Amsterdam, I have sailed sisters Rotterdam and Zaandam as well as the Prinsendam. I agree with everything kazu and RuthC said, the crew especially outstanding. One more little benefit to the Prinsendam for a long cruise, the self service laundries are free.

Roy

There is more passenger room on the Amsterdam. Since they added the extra aft cabins on the Prinsendam you have more passengers in the same amount of space as before the addition. Carol

I have done extended cruises on both ships. As others have said the Prinsendam has the walk in closet -- but in a dolphin or main deck outside cabin on the Amsterdam there are several closets as well as a nice storage cabinet where the refrigerators are in the veranda cabins. There are also more closets in the standard outsides than the veranda cabins. Different configuration of storage in the standard outside cabins -- but I think the storage space available is fairly equivalent.

What I like about the Prinsendam outside is that the couch is in front of the window instead of the bed. Better for day time viewing. But I have few cruise memories as exciting as going up and down the extremely crowded waterway entrances to some of the Southeast Asia ports at night which I could watch from bed when we left late at night -- felt like I could reach out and touch some of the unlit vessels that we passed at virtually an arm's length away.

No question that the service aboard the Prinsendam is more personal -- but on the longer voyages you will get to know many of the Amsterdam crew also.

Both ships work well in terms of creating a "home away from home" atmosphere for the grand cruiser. The Prinsendam is more crowded -- I have not been on her since the aft area on the lido was enclosed -- but last time I was aboard Prinsendam the lido was so crowded as to be uncomfortable during rush times -- possibly relieved by the additional inside space she now has.

Of course, as a larger ship there are more venues on the Amsterdam and she is not as intimate as the Prinsendam.

We have enjoyed extended cruises on both ships -- and we have to say the staff aboard both ships are wonderful -- and remember us from cruise to cruise. We prefer both ships -- for different reasons.

I forgot to mention that in comparison to the Amsterdam the Prinsendam bathrooms are "to die for" - they make you feel like you are in a luxury hotel. The Amsterdam bathrooms are large enough but let's face it, unless they have been redone in the past year, the fixtures are really getting tired and we have often had mechanical issues with the shower mechanisms.

The only way I would sail Amsterdam again would be in a balcony cabin. And, it would have to be well located---no noisy public areas above or below.

Like someone mentioned, Prinsendam's standard E cabin has a large window next to the couch. You don't have to hop on the bed to see out of the window. And, you can sit and watch the gorgeous scenery at just the right level! Just the layout of the regular cabins are far superior to Amsterdam, let alone the bathroom and the walk in closet.

There is no comparison, unless you are comparing verandah cabins. Those who have had them on Prinsendam may know more than I do about them, although I am thinking about it--if I can find a well located one for our next cruise.

Prinsendam has more of a luxury feel than Amsterdam, IMHO.

There is no comparison, unless you are comparing verandah cabins. Those who have had them on Prinsendam may know more than I do about them, although I am thinking about it--if I can find a well located one for our next cruise.

I had an A-category veranda cabin on the Prinsendam, and loved everything about it except the bathroom. It was lovely to sit on the couch and look out, when I wasn't out that is. I really liked having the draperies open all night when we were north of the Arctic Circle. I would roll over during the night and see that glorious scenery, then fall back to sleep.

But I thought the bathroom was smaller than the inside bathrooms I've been in on the other ships. Perhaps it just felt smaller because it had a tub, which took up so much space??? There was just about no vanity at all, so it was hard to lay things out in preparation for use.

Loved that walk-in closet, though. Wow. :) Talk about storage space.

The balcony cabins on the Amsterdam are almost 100 sq feet larger than on the Prinsendam. I would rather have an outside stateroom on the Prinsendam than a balcony cabin. The SS cabins on the Prinsendam are great. A little less than 400 sq feet,very open with a nice balcony. I much prefer the officers and crew on the Amsterdam, especially since Captain Gunndersen has retired. I find the Amsterdam crew to be much more personable and happy. I do love the walk-in closets and the new tubs on the Prinsendam. You have to go to a full suite on the Amsterdam to get the same length tub you get in an outside cabin on the Prinsendam.

I would choose the Amsterdam, but mainly for its officers and crew.

Leslie

Archived