Oceania’s Marina & Riveria Cabin Reclassifications, Effective Dec. 8, 2013

swissyrescue

Please forgive me if someone else already brought up this topic. I've been off Cruise Critic for a while, so I may have missed a discussion on this topic.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Oceania is quietly “reclassifying” 180 of the 625 cabins (29%) on both its Marina and Riviera ships. By reclassifying the cabin types to a higher level, they can charge more money for those cabins without providing any extra amenities or services to go along with the increase. 178 of the 180 reclassified cabins were bumped up one classification level (e.g., a PH3 raised to a PH2). However, 2 of the cabins were bumped up two levels, from a PH3 to a PH1 (cabins 7130 & 7135).

What does this mean? It means you will pay more for these reclassified cabins, yet receive absolutely nothing in return for the higher price. The now more expensive cabins do not come with any extra amenities or services for the money. And, since the cabins cannot be physically relocated, it goes without saying that there is no improvement in the location of the cabins.

Here’s a list of the cabins that were reclassified:

Deck 11:

· 10 Cabins reclassified from PH3 to PH2: 11012 thru 11018, & 11066 (even); 11015 thru 11021, & 11069 (odd)

· 02 Cabins reclassified from A2 to A1: 11064 & 11067

Deck 10:

· 26 Cabins reclassified from PH3 to PH2: 10022 thru 10056 (even); and 10025 thru 10049 (odd)

· 10 Cabins reclassified from A2 to A1: 10092 thru 10100 (even); and 10085 thru 10093 (odd)

Deck 9:

· 32 Cabins reclassified from A3 to A2: 9052 thru 9088 (even); and 9065 thru 9095 (odd)

· 40 Cabins reclassified from A4 to A3: 9014 thru 9040 (even); and 9021 thru 9053 (odd); and 9114 thru 9124 (even); and 9121 thru 9131 (odd)

Deck 8:

· 16 Cabins reclassified from B2 to B1: 8036 thru 8044 (even); and 8039 thru 8047 (odd); and 8118 thru 8122 (even); and 8115 thru 8119 (odd)

Deck 7:

· 2 Cabins reclassified up **TWO** levels from PH3 to PH1: 7130 & 7135

· 2 Cabins reclassified from PH3 to PH3: 7128 & 7133

· 40 Cabins reclassified from B4 to B3: 7000 thru 7008 (even); and 7001 thru 7009 (odd); and 7030 thru 7038 (even); and 7033 thru 7041 (odd); and 7108 thru 7126 (even); and 7111 thru 7131 (odd)

CLASSIFICATION LEVELS:

OS Owner's Suite

VS Vista Suite

OC Oceania Suite

PH1 Penthouse Suite

PH2 Penthouse Suite

PH3 Penthouse Suite

A1 Concierge Level

A2 Concierge Level

A3 Concierge Level

A4 Concierge Level

B1 Verandah Stateroom

B2 Verandah Stateroom

B3 Verandah Stateroom

B4 Verandah Stateroom

C Deluxe Ocean View

F Inside Stateroom

G Inside Stateroom

Please forgive me if someone else already brought up this topic. I've been off Cruise Critic for a while, so I may have missed a discussion on this topic.

Yes you are late to the party

They have only changed cabin category in the same levels

PH to PH

A to A

B to B

No amenities lost

The more popular cabins like the B4 extended balconies ...it was only a matter of time before they raised the prices for those

Well then, at least everyone is already aware of the upcoming changes. Glad I got to enjoy PH 7130 on my cruise last week since it's being bumped up from a PH3 to a PH1. Won't be able to afford it again on a future cruise. :(

On the bright side, this past cruise was outstanding, and we're already booked for another cruise on Oceania in March 2014 on the Marina. Booked an Oceanview this time -- no way for them to change the category for those, LOL. The cruise itself was such a steal, with a deep discount, free internet, $500 OBC (plus another $300 from my TA) and free prepaid gratuities. Can't wait! :)

...it was only a matter of time before they raised the prices for those

Just like on the R-ships: 6090 and 6093, the 2 rooms at the back of the ship with the extra-large balconies, used to be B-2. It was just a matter of time before they were reclassified as B-1. They were...and we still book them. :)

Just like on the R-ships: 6090 and 6093, the 2 rooms at the back of the ship with the extra-large balconies, used to be B-2. It was just a matter of time before they were reclassified as B-1. They were...and we still book them. :)

Where are you guys off to next ??

Say HI to Jeff

Lyn

Aruba - In the case of 7130 & 7135, they bumped them up TWO levels, from a PH3 to a PH1. That's enough to make me not want to book them again. Besides, of the 7 days we were in that cabin, we couldn't use the balcony three days due to various types of "maintenance". And, those particular PH suites are smaller than the others because they're at the back in the corner. Bigger balcony, yes, but smaller PH cabin.

Aruba - In the case of 7130 & 7135, they bumped them up TWO levels, from a PH3 to a PH1. That's enough to make me not want to book them again. Besides, of the 7 days we were in that cabin, we couldn't use the balcony three days due to various types of "maintenance". And, those particular PH suites are smaller than the others because they're at the back in the corner. Bigger balcony, yes, but smaller PH cabin.

I will be staying in cabin 7135, so was the location and the smaller PH room an issue with you?

7130 and 7135 were bumped up two categories because they are incredibly popular. The balcony is very impressive. Oceania tended to price by deck and location on the deck - so a deck 9 cabin in the center cost more than one that was aft, which cost more than one that was on deck 8 and center and so on, so the PH on deck 7 used to be the least costly of the PH. Ditto for the B level cabins. The cheapest ones were on deck 7 forward and aft, but as their balconies were deeper, they sold out faster, so now they are B3, instead of B4. Supply and demand.

Well then, at least everyone is already aware of the upcoming changes. Glad I got to enjoy PH 7130 on my cruise last week since it's being bumped up from a PH3 to a PH1. Won't be able to afford it again on a future cruise. :(

On the bright side, this past cruise was outstanding, and we're already booked for another cruise on Oceania in March 2014 on the Marina. Booked an Oceanview this time -- no way for them to change the category for those, LOL. The cruise itself was such a steal, with a deep discount, free internet, $500 OBC (plus another $300 from my TA) and free prepaid gratuities. Can't wait! :)

Are you on the Auckland to Papeete cruise? Just curious. How deep was your discount off the listed price?

How much is considered a steel?

We are going on the TA cruise this November. I know TA cruises are less than others to begin with. I was wondering ..... if my agent includes non hub air $200 each and free gratuities and $300 OBC, is that considered good? Oceania isn't providing any special incentive of their own.

Cdn.cruiser said he or she was doing the TA in November--if it's BCN-MIA, I'm on it too. No special incentives except for good prices. I've got prepaid gratuities, that's all--no special Business Class upgrade prices, no free internet, alas.

Cdn.cruiser said he or she was doing the TA in November--if it's BCN-MIA, I'm on it too. No special incentives except for good prices. I've got prepaid gratuities, that's all--no special Business Class upgrade prices, no free internet, alas.

Wendy their post was confusing as they asked about the AUK to PPT cruise & discounts

So not sure what cruise perks they were comparing ;)

I was talking about 2 different cruises, sorry.

The poster said they were on a march 2014 cruise and got a steal of a deal. So I looked it up and only found one cruise for march 2014 on the marina, so I was asking if that was the cruise they were on. There are lots of incentives for that cruise but I couldn't tell if the actual cruise price was a steal bec. of the agent or bec. of Oceania adding so many incentives.. So I asked that question first.

My next question was , I was wondering if I got a good price from my travel agent for the cruise I am on with Wendy from Barcelona to Miami nov. 18, 2013.

For this cruise Oceania is not offering any incentives. My travel agent included the non hub additional air fee of $200 each, free gratuities, and a $300 OBC. So I was just wondering if that was considered good. I am booked in B3 veranda for this transatlantic cruise.

Please let me know what you think.

Thank you in advance.

For this cruise Oceania is not offering any incentives. My travel agent included the non hub additional air fee of $200 each, free gratuities, and a $300 OBC. So I was just wondering if that was considered good. I am booked in B3 veranda for this transatlantic cruise.

Thank you in advance.

Yes, I would think that is normal, and good. My TA doesn't do OBC's, they do rebates instead, but it amounts to the same thing.

I'll have to dig up the spreadsheet with the list of people on the roll-call! Such a long list, I can't keep track of everybody!

Thank you in advance.

Sounds like a good deal to me ;)

You have to go with what works best for you other may not think it is good

Enjoy the cruise

Lyn

Yes, we're on the March 11, 2014 Auckland to Papeete cruise. Oceania offered free internet, $500 OBC, "free" airfare (we all know what THAT means, ha ha), and free pre-paid gratuities. Our TA gave us another $300 OBC to boot.

Although we're not taking advantage of it on this particular cruise, if you book a cruise for next year, you can get the current cabin categories instead of the new ones that take effect this December.

For example, I'm going to be on Oceania's Riviera October 2014 and have booked a B4 cabin on that trip. If I waited until after December to book that same cabin, it would be a B3 and cost me more money. So, I am, in essence, getting a "free upgrade" because I'm booking it now before the categories change.

So, if you know you're going to take a cruise next year and you want a cabin that is scheduled to be reclassified, book it before the reclassification takes place.

I will be staying in cabin 7135, so was the location and the smaller PH room an issue with you?

There is a ton of movement in the back of the boat but, for us, it wasn't an issue. Personally, I like being rocked to sleep. :)

The only real noise we heard from the engine/anchor was when we were arriving/departing at the ports. Other than that, nothing that we found obtrusive.

The cabin is slightly smaller, but we knew that when we booked it because we did our research ahead of time. I was surprised, tho, at how little "hanging" space was available in the "walk-in" closet. Not sure if that is where they cut corners space-wise, but my sister was in a B4 and she had about triple the hanging space in her "regular" closet. Other than that, I don't think the smaller cabin size was an issue for us.

But if you're paying for the extra big balcony and you cannot use it for three days due to maintenance, that might be a big problem for some people. During our cruise, we rarely went out there, but not because of the maintenance, but simply because it was too cold in the mornings, and then nearly dark by the time we got back to our cabins. So, not an issue, but be forewarned that there could be days where you may not get to use that nice big balcony.

So, if you know you're going to take a cruise next year and you want a cabin that is scheduled to be reclassified, book it before the reclassification takes place.

Somehow that does not sound correct

The new itineraries came out with the new classifications/prices

Is this if you book onboard??

My TA booked it for us.

My TA booked our January 2014 cruise in December 2012 when the new classifications came out. We have a B3 with extended balcony which is a B4 at present. We are paying new classification prices because as far as I know it was not when you booked but when you sailed.

Enjoy your cruise

Fran in Florida

My TA booked our January 2014 cruise in December 2012 when the new classifications came out. We have a B3 with extended balcony which is a B4 at present. We are paying new classification prices because as far as I know it was not when you booked but when you sailed.

Enjoy your cruise

Fran in Florida

That makes more sense to me.

Archived