Montserrat for the Non-Religious

motif

For the non-religious, is the trip to Montserrat worth the journey?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. For the non-religious, is the trip to Montserrat worth the journey?

• Yes, of course. You'll have a great time. It's wonderful.
    • I think you'd be better off staying in Barcelona.

One of our ports of call this summer is Barcelona. We've been once before and toured Parc Guell and been in to Sagrada Familia. This time we're thinking of going to Montserrat on a ship's excursion. However, none of our party is religious, so probably won't have the same spiritual experience that others may do. That said, we do like nice architecture (we went to Sagrada Familia, after all) and beautiful scenery. If we go, we'll be aiming to do the earliest tour (8:15 / 8:30), and get back into Barcelona for late lunch (tour lasts ~ 4.5 hours). Then we'll have a wander round Las Ramblas and Barri Gotic.

So, the question is this...For the non-religious, is it worth the 2+ hours travelling time, or should we spend more time in Barcelona instead?

One of our ports of call this summer is Barcelona. We've been once before and toured Parc Guell and been in to Sagrada Familia. This time we're thinking of going to Montserrat on a ship's excursion. However, none of our party is religious, so probably won't have the same spiritual experience that others may do. That said, we do like nice architecture (we went to Sagrada Familia, after all) and beautiful scenery. If we go, we'll be aiming to do the earliest tour (8:15 / 8:30), and get back into Barcelona for late lunch (tour lasts ~ 4.5 hours). Then we'll have a wander round Las Ramblas and Barri Gotic.

So, the question is this...For the non-religious, is it worth the 2+ hours travelling time, or should we spend more time in Barcelona instead?

I went to Montserrat while on a land tour of Northern Spain. I enjoyed it but it was on my way- not a special outing. Actually I ejoyed the interesting mountain peaks the most. IMHO if you have only been to Barcelona once before I would save the two hours and do more in Barcelona. There is just sooooooo much to see there.

I went to Montserrat while on a land tour of Northern Spain. I enjoyed it but it was on my way- not a special outing. Actually I ejoyed the interesting mountain peaks the most. IMHO if you have only been to Barcelona once before I would save the two hours and do more in Barcelona. There is just sooooooo much to see there.

The Palau Guell (Palace of the Patron of Gaudi) is just off the lower end of Las Ramblas, before you get to the Art Nouveau style Theatre (by another architect, not Gaudi) that is on Las Ramblas.

Don't miss the big open air market for fish, meats, produce in the area of the Theatre.

There's much to see on Las Ramblas.

Penny

If you were staying in Barcelona for several days I would say go to Montserrat.

Even though you have been to Barcelona before, there is so much to see in the city I think you should stay there.

For ideas of what to see, look at my Bacelona Information pages (link in my signature)

I don't understand why you would think that a non-religious person (or a person of a different religion) wouldn't enjoy visiting a religious location or site. That whole concept is kind of weird to me - there is often beauty and history in those locations that has nothing to do with belief or faith. Someone who doesn't believe in (or support) a monarchy can still enjoy going to see castles, so I think someone that doesn't believe in a religion can still enjoy going to see a church or monastery.

Hi all. Thanks for the responses so far. :)

Palau Guell is now added to the list.

calliopecruiser, I agree with what you say. I don't understand it either. I was really just talking about this specific one. I really just wanted to know whether this specific religious site was worth the trip as a visit will take up a large chunk of our day, or whether people thought that it would be better to spend the time exploring Barcelona. I have absolutely no issue with visiting religious sites (as I said, we have already visited Sagrada Familia, for example), and intend to visit some others on our cruise. :)

I think the scenery is worth it, even for the non-religious. There were many hikers and serious bike riders there. The rock formations are unique and awesome. You won't be disappointed by the scenery.

This would be a tough call. Barcelona has so much to offer. So much to see and do.

On the other hand, we also did Montserrat as well. As someone said, just the scenery alone would be worth going up there. Yes, you may skip the boys choir but the surroundings are beautiful.

If I only had one day, I would probably spend it in Barcelona. And if you are looking for adventure in Barcelona, have you looked into the Go Cars? They do pretty much the same paths as the HOHO bus, but you aren't waiting for a bus when you finish at each place you stop. We saw SOOOO much of the city doing that means of transportation.

Cathy

Archived