Can you do a same sex marriage on NCL?

You can have a Cermony anywhere you like but would it be a legal marriage once back in the states I doubt it? Good luck tho be sure to research what ports you go to some carribeian ports its aganist the law and would hate for your next post be "locked up in a jamician jail"

You can have a Cermony anywhere you like but would it be a legal marriage once back in the states I doubt it? Good luck tho be sure to research what ports you go to some carribeian ports its aganist the law and would hate for your next post be "locked up in a jamician jail"

No concern about jail. Don't plan on doing anything inappropriate on the balcony in port as was done recently in a Caribbean port. We'll be in Europe with ports in at least 2 countries where gay marriage is legal. No expectation of it being legal in the US in Texas any more that I'd expect a marriage from Iowa or New York to be recognized in Texas (at least until DOMA is struck down). Mostly just curious if the ship/captain would perform a same sex marriage.

Once out at sea. Not sure what jurisdiction it would follow. Not a tragedy (for me at least) if you can't, not sure we'd do it if you can, just curious.

My understanding is that NCL captains are not able to perform any form of marriage ceremony even at sea. If I remember correctly it has something to do with where the ships are flagged. Others who know more will certainly correct me if I haven't remember correctly.

No concern about jail. Don't plan on doing anything inappropriate on the balcony in port as was done recently in a Caribbean port. We'll be in Europe with ports in at least 2 countries where gay marriage is legal. No expectation of it being legal in the US in Texas any more that I'd expect a marriage from Iowa or New York to be recognized in Texas (at least until DOMA is struck down). Mostly just curious if the ship/captain would perform a same sex marriage.

Even if DOMA is struck down (which I think it will be), I don't believe that would affect, for example, Texas' decision not to recognize, for example, a gay marriage from California. Striking down DOMA would affect federal benefits, immigration, federal taxes, social security, etc., however, states would be free to make a determination about gay marriage on their own and whether they recognize a same sex marriage from another state.

Once out at sea. Not sure what jurisdiction it would follow. Not a tragedy (for me at least) if you can't, not sure we'd do it if you can, just curious.

You have to have the marriage license from your locality, but you can have a wedding aboard for a same-sex couple, if you can get the license in your locality. In fact, if you've watched the Undercover Boss episode with NCL, Sheehan offered that to the server he worked with.

DML

On ship marriages are done in port, not at sea, with a minister or official brought by the couple. Captains do not perform legal wedding ceremonies anymore. However you could arrange for a symbolic unity ceremony at sea just as others do a vow renewal ceremony. Make arrangements ahead of time with your ship's events planner.

Congrats to you and your spouse.

I do believe the captain does not have any jurisdiction to marry you on the ship nor do they perform any marriages.

Friends got married on RCCL and had their rabbi come on board and do the ceremony but we were docked in Florida.

As you know, NCL is very gay friendly, and I am sure you would be able to use the vow renewal ceremony for your "marriage". I hope that one day your marriage will be legal in every state.

Have an amazing cruise and please come back and tell us all about it.

Yes you can get married on an NCL ship as long as it is in port. The restriction has to do with where it is legal. They have been really terrific to work with as we make our plans and our guests make their reservations.

We are getting married aboard the NCL Breakaway in 2014 while docked in NYC. We are having a mix of people attending the ceremony/cruise and those who will attend the ceremony and depart the ship. It will be legal in NYC and those states that recognize it. It will not be legal in our home state of Idaho.

We are sailing on the Breakaway next week and will use that time to choose our reception location/work with a mixologist to create a signature cocktail, etc.

Here is a link to our wedding website. We will be updating it again after we return from our cruise next week.

http://www.robertralphbreakawayweddingcruise2014.us/

On ship marriages are done in port, not at sea, with a minister or official brought by the couple. Captains do not perform legal wedding ceremonies anymore.

This isn't true with all cruise lines. Spirit Rev said earlier in this thread it had a lot to do with the ship's flag state, and that is true. The Bahamas recently cleared Royal Caribbean to perform legal marriages at sea. The ceremony is performed by the Captain.

If all you really care about is the symbolism, then you should have no problem having a "commitment ceremony" on ship. I would contact NCL before boarding to see if you can make arrangement before or after you board.

Or if you do want to make it "official" why not plan it out in style and do like beachmonkey and marry in NY? What a great idea - pre-cruise NY, a legal wedding, and a romantic cruise... You can't hear me, but I am sighing in happiness for you:)

Yes you can get married on an NCL ship as long as it is in port. The restriction has to do with where it is legal. They have been really terrific to work with as we make our plans and our guests make their reservations.

We are getting married aboard the NCL Breakaway in 2014 while docked in NYC. We are having a mix of people attending the ceremony/cruise and those who will attend the ceremony and depart the ship. It will be legal in NYC and those states that recognize it. It will not be legal in our home state of Idaho.

We are sailing on the Breakaway next week and will use that time to choose our reception location/work with a mixologist to create a signature cocktail, etc.

Here is a link to our wedding website. We will be updating it again after we return from our cruise next week.

http://www.robertralphbreakawayweddingcruise2014.us/

I love this website; makes me wanna crash your wedding (I'm Episcopalian, so I could follow the ceremony :)

el henry

on another note, I could almost swear on Princess I saw a couple get married on the ship, not in port. But mebbe not...

A legal married performed onboard a cruise ship is legal in the state or country the ship is docked in at the time of the ceremony. There is no gay marriage in Florida, for example, so you could not have a legal gay marriage while the ship is docked in Miami.

If DOMA is struck down, or when it is, then it will be a different story, for sure.

The ship will do a commitment ceremony for you (Which will be cheaper as the service is hosted by a member of the ship's crew, rather than a licensend officiant) and I imagine would be handled much like a Vow renewal.

Because it has no legal standing, you could also do this at sea, with wonderful ocean views rather than looking at containers in the Port of Miami!!!!

Archived