Sapphire Princess – Coastal – April 27-May 4 - Review

WarEagle76

We followed our normal Friday night routine from the East coast with a flight into LAX, stayed at the LAX Marriott with pool view room (booked on our own, not through Princess). Dinner in Champions Sports Bar during which we felt a rumble but nobody else seemed to flinch. Went online the next day and saw at that time had a 3.2 earth trembler at that time. Saturday morning had breakfast and worked out a deal with doorman for $60 car service to San Pedro with requisite stop at Ralph’s for wine. When we arrived at 10:30AM they were only allowing Elite, Suite and Platinum to check in. Security was a breeze. We had four bottles of wine (knowing we might have to pay the $15 corkage for two) but were not questioned. Went to Elite/Suite/Platinum area and boarded just after noon.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

We had balcony on Caribe deck cabin 519. Edwin was our cabin steward and he was great. Balcony had the new furniture (reclining chairs with foot stools) and the blue matting on the floor. Called to swap items in our mini-bar and they were there in 5 minutes. We did not bring suits this trip and ate in the dining room only once. Other nights ate at Alfredo’s, Sterling, Sabatini’s, and Horizon Court (we thought the selection the evenings we ate there were excellent). We really liked Alfredo’s but wish they had a choice of salad to go with the pizza to make it a complete meal (we included this suggestion in our post-cruise questionnaire).

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Went to two shows, “Born To Be Wild” which was just OK, and Alfred and Seymour who we really enjoyed (don’t arrive late to their performance!). Also saw the movie Jack Reacher on MUTS.

ry%3D400

We were late into San Francisco and after being told to gather in the Princess Theater at a later meeting time for our Sonoma Wine Tour, after sitting for about 15 minutes past the time we were to meet, were advised that the tour was cancelled. Instead, we walked around Pier 39 and headed back to the ship. We enjoyed the new lighted art installation on the Bay Bridge at night.

ry%3D400

Monday morning we walked down to the Maritime Park and Ghirardelli passing the cable car line, enjoyed the views and all of the flowers blooming, then headed to the aquarium. While small, we really enjoyed the aquarium, especially the jellies, sharks and rays. The weather while in San Francisco was outstanding, sunny and lower 70’s and you can’t beat sailing in and out under the Golden Gate Bridge.

ry%3D400

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

In Santa Barbara we took the Princess whale watching tour. We saw several dolphins and one gray whale. Weather was overcast and chilly (50’s with some wind). We saw a number of very nice houses cruising up the coast. The boat was older, offered refreshments and had an interior you could go into to get warm if needed.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Catalina Island turned out to be our favorite stop and the weather was perfect. We took the Princess four hour Bald Eagle Habitat, Airport-in-the-sky, & Cape Canyon tour. The tour was conducted in an open air hummer and there were 11 of us on the tour. Great tour conductor and driver, learned a lot about the history of the island, saw bison, fox, eagles (both at the habitat and flying above us on the tour), went to a nice beach (restroom break in porta potties), then to the airport where you could purchase something to eat and/or drink. On the tour we got to go into places on the island that others could not access. We then walked around Avalon which is a quaint town with a number of shops.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

In San Diego we went to the Zoo. We did this on our own (easily grabbed cab right off the ship) and figured we saved about $60 over the Princess tour and could come and go when we wanted. We arrived at the zoo at opening (9AM) but unfortunately some of the areas and transportation didn’t begin until 10AM. We were really looking forward to the hummingbird aviary but were disappointed that the hummingbirds were not out yet as had not been warm enough for them. The new Australian Outback exhibit is also not open yet (will open May 24). That said, the rest of the zoo was great and enjoyed the polar bears, pandas, and other bird aviaries within the zoo including the flamingos that greet you as you enter. After returning to the ship we walked past the Midway (those we talked to who went through the aircraft carrier said they enjoyed it), past “The Kiss”, and to Seaport Village. While at Seaport Village we had a beer and listened to “Sinatra Guy” who was singing in the open square.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

In Ensenada we were met by a huge fog bank and the largest Mexican flag we’ve ever seen! Birds of all types entertained us all day. We walked into town (about a 15 minute walk) but they did have busses for those who wanted to ride (believe it was $2 each way). Lots of shops, many with the same items. There were a few unique stores (one store with Russian icons and amber, another with a huge inventory of stained glass), $1 beer, and more pharmacies in a 10 block area than I’ve ever seen before (which is probably why only the Patter for Ensenada had an Illegal Substance Warning on the back page)!

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

After getting our disembarkation information and seeing transfers were $25pp to LAX, we decided to take a cab instead for $57 for two. It was definitely worth the $7 to only have to deal with ourselves and go at our own pace.

It was a perfect laid back cruise for us. The Sapphire Princess is in great shape, the crew was awesome, and met some really nice people.

ry%3D400

We were on the Sapphire the first week in April. We also had Edwin. He was pleasant and he did a good job, but he was very quiet. I was impressed that he always called me by my last name (Mrs. ..... ) from day one and our name is hard to pronounce. I usually like to have fun with my cabin steward, but he was very serious.

We also loved Alfredo's. Regarding your desire for additional options (like a salad)... They told us we could bring other food into Alfredo's, we just couldn't take the pizza out. So each time we ate there, we first ordered the pizza, then I walked over to the International Cafe and picked up salads and/or desserts and brought them back to our table. It was great.

We were on the Sapphire the first week in April. We also had Edwin. He was pleasant and he did a good job, but he was very quiet. I was impressed that he always called me by my last name (Mrs. ..... ) from day one and our name is hard to pronounce. I usually like to have fun with my cabin steward, but he was very serious.

Yes he was. Every now and then we could get him to giggle.

We also loved Alfredo's. Regarding your desire for additional options (like a salad)... They told us we could bring other food into Alfredo's, we just couldn't take the pizza out. So each time we ate there, we first ordered the pizza, then I walked over to the International Cafe and picked up salads and/or desserts and brought them back to our table. It was great.

We thought about going to IC the last time we ate at Alfredo's but didn't do it. Just don't think it would take much to offer a small salad with table service and as good as the pizza was it never seemed busy.

Very nice photos. We were on the Sapphire when it was brand new so it would be interesting to go back on it. But with its deployment to Asia next year, we probably won't cruise on her again until the west coast gets her back in the future.

One day it'll be nice to try a Coastal. I just wish the itinerary would be a bit different (go all the way up to Vancouver and not go to Ensenada, and maybe be a bit longer in length).

My advice, as a native Angeleno, would be to stay in San Pedro the day before the cruise, rather than by LAX.

My advice, as a native Angeleno, would be to stay in San Pedro the day before the cruise, rather than by LAX.

We've thought about that but we usually depart on cruises on Saturday and we like to fly in a day early. We try to get in a work day on Friday but leave early enough East Coast time to get in at a decent hour. We figure the traffic in LAX on Friday evening would be worse than Saturday morning (and what we saw from the plane on approach to LAX it looked bad) and have never had an issue from the LAX airport area to San Pedro on Saturday morning. Guess we could fly into LGB but schedules have been better and fares cheaper for us into LAX.

Archived