Mt McKinley or Copper River

Magoosangel

Hi everyone, I love this site so much and have read several other posts but am hoping someone here can offer me some good advice.

I know there are critics of cruisetours, but due to me wanting the easy way I have booked one. I am going in mid September with the hopes that it will be a nice time of year and there is the chance of seeing fall colors and the northern lights.

Anyway, I currently am planning on spending two nights at McKinley; however, I can change and spend two nights in Copper River. The price is a lot less for Copper River and I would be able to upgrade to a mini-suite for the cruise.

What is there to do in Copper River in Sept? Can you still fish and catch something, is there wildlife sightings in the Copper River area- bear, moose, etc..

I would appreciate some input. Thanks.

The reason that Copper River is cheaper is that it is isolated in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do except for Princess approved tours. McKinley is near good scenery. I am not a fan of cruise tours but within the parameters of them, McKinley is better.

DON

Both lodges are isolated, so if you want to do anything, you'll have to go off property via a Princess excursion. The excursions for each property are listed on the princess lodge web site so you need to read thru them to see which property best supports your interests.

The only advantage to the McKinley property is that you can at least take a shuttle into the town of Talkeetna (maybe 45 minutes each way) and find something to do on your own.... rafting, fishing, flightseeing. google talkeetna visitor information for activities. The closest sightseeing destination to Copper River is Valdez which is a couple of hours.

I think you're finding out that cruisetours aren't quite as easy as they appear.

The reason that Copper River is cheaper is that it is isolated in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do except for Princess approved tours. McKinley is near good scenery. I am not a fan of cruise tours but within the parameters of them, McKinley is better.

DON

Some might say that Copper River also has some pretty good scenery....

Here is the page for the lodge. There have some nice videos of the scenery. Once of the wilder places in Alaska accessible by land transportation.

http://www.princesslodges.com/copper-river-lodge.cfm

I've always found the McKinley Princess to be a big "holding pen" for cruisetour customers that can't get into the Denali Princess. Rainy days at the hotel are notable for lounges filled to the brim with people looking for something to do. True, you can take a shuttle into Talkeetna but it would be pushing things to spend more than half a day there. The McKinley Princess does have a magnificent view of Mt.McKinley/Denali WHEN the weather is good.

If you want something different, I'd opt for the Copper River Princess. It has several great excursions: one visits the historic mining town of Kennicott and the other is a drive to Valdez for a cruise into Prince William Sound which is a highlight of any visit to Alaska. Valdez is really off the beaten path for the tourist crowd but it's a beautiful town with a fantastic history.

Thanks so much for all the responses. I totally expect to book an excursion with princess for the land portions. I am aware of where to look at the different tours offered but haven't settled on what to do yet.

Anyone know how the wildlife sightings are in Copper River area?

I love the idea of seeing something different than Denali also.

Thanks so much for all the responses. I totally expect to book an excursion with princess for the land portions. I am aware of where to look at the different tours offered but haven't settled on what to do yet.

Last time we were at the Copper River Princess there were posted signs warning of bears in the area. That may be a bit too much wildlife:rolleyes:

You'd have a great chance of seeing marine life on the boat trips into Prince William Sound. These are run through Stan Stephens cruises; look them up at http://www.stanstephenscruises.com

The area around the Princess hotel is very pretty; if clear, you get a great view of the volcanic Wrangell-St. Elias mountains.

You have an issue with your time. If you want to see bears, you best option is Denali park. BUT this timeframe is great for Wonder Lake, but those buses end mid Sept. Key is to at least have a TWT included, or budgeted for with an upgrade, needing 2 nights at the Denali Princess.

This is also the worse potential for weather on the inside passage. Superior is a northbound cruise, since the inside passages drops off more significantly than mainland Alaska. A negative will be, it is dark mid Sept by 7 pm, cutting into scenic sailing and some tour schedules.

YOU need to determine- what area is of interest to you and WHAT you wish to occupy your time with. It is a disadvantage to be in both these areas without your own transportation. There should be a tour listed on the Princess cruisetour site. Take a look and figure out where you want to be.

IF you truly want to see the aurora, then consider a cruisetour with Fairbanks, AND several extra days, on your own with a rental car. You have an overall slim chance without the time and stuck in brightly lit lodges. Necessary, is to get in darkness, which is difficult/impossible without a car.

I have been to all the areas you list, each could be a great choice for you, but, you need to determine this, doesn't matter what I would choose. :)

Your wildlife sightings are slim, wildlife has miles of range, you are without transportation and wildlife isn't usually hanging around, the lodge area.

Archived