Optional butlers?

Balloon Man

If gratuities are included, or pre-paid, as ours are, what would you do about tipping the butler for two very non-demanding passengers?

Are the gratuities for the butler included in PP Promo?

If not I am sure the extra charge will be added to your shipboard account

If you feel you need to give him more just tip in cash at the end of the cruise

I'm not sure I'm saying anything different from Lyn ...

If your gratuities are already prepaid, your only problem is deciding if you want to tip *more* for extra service. If so, that's easily done. Either with cash or adding the tip to your bill.

(I don't imagine the opposite would be true -- getting credit because you are disappointed with the service since you aren't paying for it!)

I have to say we've always been pleased with the service. (I know from reading CC that on occasion people have NOT been happy, in which case complain early to the management.)

When we first had the benefit of a butler, we really didn't use him. It was a port intensive cruise, we weren't interested in reservations in the specialty restaurants, etc. But when I blew out my knee before a cruise in Nov '05 we learned just how helpful he could be, and now we use him as much as we can.

Mura

Could you describe "non-demanding" as it pertains to your use (or lack thereof) of the butler's services?

I really can't imagine asking the butler for anything beyond the occasional breakfast on early excursion days or a couple of sunset dinners on the balcony. We like to be around other people for meals.

We are also the kind of people who like to tidy our cabin before the housekeeper enters. :)

I expect we will keep the butler far less busy than most other quests.

Friends of ours recently had a butler, but did not make one single request over their entire cruise. They seldom saw the guy.

I really can't imagine asking the butler for anything beyond the occasional breakfast on early excursion days or a couple of sunset dinners on the balcony. We like to be around other people for meals.

We are also the kind of people who like to tidy our cabin before the housekeeper enters. :)

Friends of ours recently had a butler, but did not make one single request over their entire cruise. They seldom saw the guy.

One of the nice benefits of a PH/suites is that you can dine in your suite from a specialty restaurant - especially if you cannot get that "extra" reservation in the restaurant itself or if you just want to dine in your robe after a long day :)

Personally, under those circumstances I would not hesitate NOT to tip extra!

If you use the butler for extra reservations, cocktail parties, shoe shining, and etc., that would be different.

You tip extra for extra services. Unless you change your minds, you won't be using him extra. If you're like us, you just might ... change your minds, I mean!

Mura

One of the nice benefits of a PH/suites is that you can dine in your suite from a specialty restaurant - especially if you cannot get that "extra" reservation in the restaurant itself or if you just want to dine in your robe after a long day :)

I agree, that is what I am most excited about. I wouldn't want to do it all the time, but the occasional sunset dinner on the balcony will be a treat.

If you don't (or even seldom) use the Butler, I would not suggest tipping anything more than the Auto-tip.

That said, please don't consider your Butler to be nothing more than a high toned cabin Steward. There are just SO MANY other things that he can do for you beyond cleaning and fetching.

It's almost like having a confidant who knows the workings of the ship and her crew far better than any passenger ever could-

Aside from arranging for additional reservations in the Specialty Restaurants, or making sure that chilled Martini glasses and Rose's Lime juice appear magically in your cabin at the stroke of five, it is also perfectly appropriate to have your Butler wrap a gift that you purchased ashore, Supervise the cleaning service if a prized garment needs SPECIAL attention, locate the nearest 24 hour eyeglass shop at the next port, or arrange for a wheelchair off the ship on debarkation day. I tell you, nothing is too much trouble.

Which is why WE always have to tip extra...:rolleyes:

Enjoy your Cruise...AND your Butler!

Good to know

We found it was tough for the butler to serve 2

We opted to just have all the food brought at once and we grazed through the various courses. The bed makes a lovely buffet area. LOL

Laraine - i am looking forward to my first invite to a "Laraine Bed Buffet" LOL

Gary

That sounds dangerously addictive. LOL

On a Port intensive cruise upon returning to the cabin having your wine chilled or drinks prepared is a luxury that I enjoy. My husband thinks we have a concierge cabin when in fact we have a PH for our cruise on our anniversary cruise Brazilian Destiny 11/20. :D

Knitter,

It's also OUR anniversary cruise ... although technically our anniversary was last April Fool's day. We just couldn't find the appropriate cruise that fit the date, and since I'd already booked this one we decided to call it our Anniversary Cruise!

(I guess April 1st was an appropriate day for us to get married ...)

Not sure if I'll bring any knitting along with me... I used to always do so. Then I got hooked on the internet and somehow the knitting took a back seat. I have even disposed of yarn. Can you imagine that??

But I have enough half-done projects that maybe I can find room in my suitcase for yet another not-finished sweater.

Mura

My husband thinks we have a concierge cabin when in fact we have a PH for our cruise on our anniversary cruise Brazilian Destiny 11/20. :D

Do you think you will be able to pull off the surprise? Your DH doesn't check cabin numbers? I was able to surprise DH with an upgrade last year, but it did take some fast talking.

What a nice anniversary gift. :)

My husband thinks we have a concierge cabin when in fact we have a PH for our cruise on our anniversary cruise

I like how you think. If only I'd thought about that for our Riviera Cruise coming up I could have probably pulled it off. I will have to remember that for another escapade.

I like how you think. If only I'd thought about that for our Riviera Cruise coming up I could have probably pulled it off. I will have to remember that for another escapade.

Paul's first O cruise last November he loved. We talked about a PH and booked one for our Holy Land tour next June. Few months ago he said he wished we had booked one for November which I already had as a surprise. I showed him the cabin he thought we booked. It's fun.

Paul's first O cruise last November he loved. We talked about a PH and booked one for our Holy Land tour next June. Few months ago he said he wished we had booked one for November which I already had as a surprise. I showed him the cabin he thought we booked. It's fun.

Great job on keeping the secret "secret". I am booked in a PH GTY as my first experience on an O cruise. I'm sure I will be in heaven and more amazed than I have been with other cruise lines where I have experienced butler service (Norwegian and Celebrity).

Sent from my Samsung Note II on the T-Mobile 4G LTE network using Tapatalk Beta 4

Great job on keeping the secret "secret". I am booked in a PH GTY as my first experience on an O cruise. I'm sure I will be in heaven and more amazed than I have been with other cruise lines where I have experienced butler service (Norwegian and Celebrity).

Sent from my Samsung Note II on the T-Mobile 4G LTE network using Tapatalk Beta 4

You will Love the extra room. first PH was In 2007. It was a port intensive cruise and wine was chilled with finger foods chocolate covered strawberries calling out my name. On days we were totally exhausted, we ordered for one of the specialty restaurants. Needed bubble wrap for a breakable purchased and it was a done deal. Coffee served in bed every morning. My best friend and I celebrated our 55th birthdays and we enjoyed the pampering. Plan on more of the same. :)

Archived