UK cruisers - How do you get any OBC?

By way of background. Today paid final payment for 7 night Vancouver - Seward, Alaska cruise on Radiance of the Seas which will be our third cruise. This will be our second RCI cruise along with a seperate cruise on NCL in a two bedroom villa. Both our RC cruises were/are in GS and to date we have 28 nights accrued to date with RCI with another 14 on completion of our Alaska cruise.

My query relates to OBC and more specifically how do you get OBC in the UK. Our first RC and NCL cruise were with same travel agent, we got nothing despite spending over £20,000 (approx $30,000) in total. So decided that our third cruise which with flights and a total of 21 days in North America is a significant spend with another agent and again nothing. On all occassions we have paid full brochure price, booking at least 15 months in advance. On the first two cruises we paid our suite gratuties up front, but won't be doing that again as we got burnt on the first RCI cruise with a very rude steward (even after tipping her again but still did not seem enough she turned her back on us on the final evening but that is a whole other story)

I consider CC an essential pre-cruise encyclopedia of very useful tips and advice and read about the various levels of OBC that some passengers seem to enjoy. However I am increasingly becoming very disolution with how cruises are sold in the UK. So much so that I was planning a 14 night Russia - Northern Europe cruise in 2015 with Celebrity in either the Penthouse or Royal Suite for my 50th birthday, but think I am not going to bother. There just seems to be a high probability that the price may drop which tend not to be retro-activated for UK clients, or they offer drink packages or free tours which are again not honoured to existing bookings. When I confronted the current travel agent (won't name but highly regarded by Which) on why should I bother booking with them again, I got a whole War and Peace story which made absolutely no sense.

So what am I doing wrong? I like cruising but really am feeling mugged.

We have just booked the Navigator transatlantic and the week before around med for November 2013.

We booked with a US travel agent and paid in total £400 less for both bookings than if we had booked in the UK and we were given $500 OBC

I would always check prices in the US and book with a US travel agent if it is more beneficial.

Booked Transatlantic cruise on Adventure of the Seas at end of January with RCL. Got $200 OBC and free drinks package.

Then phoned our TA who said they would take over the booking and also give us $70 OBC.

We are D+ so we had plenty of free drinks on this cruise.

We get OBC on most of the cruises we now book.

It just seems to depend when and where you book.

I don't think Travel agents can offer special deals on RCI cruises any more, in the UK at least. I was told by the travel agent that RCI have stopped them doing this.

I prefer to book directly with RCI online anyway, as I previously had a problem after booking with a TA, and RCI would not deal with me directly to rectify it. At least now if there is a problem I can pick up the phone and discuss it instead of having to go through a 3rd party.

I would say that the key is to shop around, and see what the total value of the packages are.

For our upcoming cruise, we recevied quotes from RCI directly, UK travel agents, and US travel agents, and they all came up with different offers - we just picked the one that suited us the best.

Good luck for future bookings.

Booking through the UK, you will rarely see any obc offers for Alaska tbh.,they mainly have promotions for Europe. Book a sailing from Southampton/ Harwich then you'll more than likely get some sort of good deal!

I would say that the key is to shop around, and see what the total value of the packages are.

For our upcoming cruise, we recevied quotes from RCI directly, UK travel agents, and US travel agents, and they all came up with different offers - we just picked the one that suited us the best.

Good luck for future bookings.

This is what I always do and for our next cruise the cheapest agent is in the UK (which always surprises me!) and was not RCI so some are still discounting!

I compare prices on both sides of the pond to seek the best deal at the time. It's unbelievable when you see some cruises with the same amount, however ours is in £ and theirs is in $ :eek:. The cruise comparison (price drop) sites really highlight this as the costings are detailed per cabin category.

We have also booked with a US TA for the Tuesday specials and have had some great bargains (together with balcony discount, OBC and speciality dinner for 2).

Whilst on Oasis in August, I'm going to try and book onboard for our next cruise, and then transfer the booking to a US TA (something I've not done previously, only having booked direct with US TAs, not through RCI. Hopefully, RCI will allow this transfer.......Ticktoneer assures me it's possible..lol :D)...

Regarding transferring a NCC to a US agent... I've just tried to use a NCC with a US agent. They told be they couldn't accept it.

I rang C&A who told me that NCC's purchased by UK customers can only be transferred to an ABTA registered agent by quoting their ABTA number.

Regarding transferring a NCC to a US agent... I've just tried to use a NCC with a US agent. They told be they couldn't accept it.

I rang C&A who told me they can only be transferred to an ABTA registered agent by quoting their ABTA number.

Is the NCC a US dollars one or a UK pounds NCC ?

I rang C&A who told me that NCC's purchased by UK customers can only be transferred to an ABTA registered agent by quoting their ABTA number.

Elizanessie, I was just going to ask the same question as my US TA has already told me that providing it's a $NCC, I should be able to use it for a future booking with her ;).

Icsys, you can't use a £NCC with a US TA.

It's a GBP one (£75 instead of $100) On board, we were not given the option to purchase in USD. We were told it would be £75

Icsys, you can't use a £NCC with a US TA.

Correct ! They can only be used with an ABTA travel agent

It's a GBP one (£75 instead of $100) On board, we were not given the option to purchase in USD. We were told it would be £75

That's because they won't unless you specially ask. All our previous NCC have been in pounds, they are usually issued in whichever currency you have booked the cruise you are on in. However I want my next one in $, which is why I will be specifically asking for a $NCC.

I know £NCC can only be used with ABTA agents because I've used them previously. My concern was if RCI try to put up any resistance for me purchasing one in dollars. I always get the impression that they prefer us to use UK TAs rather than booking through the US - nothing to do with the better offers the US appear to get :rolleyes:.

[quote name='villauk']That's because they won't unless you specially ask. All our previous NCC have been in pounds, they are usually issued in whichever currency you have booked the cruise you are on in. However I want my next one in $, which is why I will be specifically asking for a $NCC.[/quote]

I would be interested in knowing if this is possible as on the next cruise I would specifically ask for a $NCC too !!

I expect there would be some resistance as US customers generally get better rates, better deals and better perks than UK AU and EU customers as I am sure you are aware.
have you had any issues at all using a US agent? I am about to book with one.

[quote name='icsys']I would be interested in knowing if this is possible as on the next cruise I would specifically ask for a $NCC too !!

I expect there would be some resistance as US customers generally get better rates, better deals and better perks than UK AU and EU customers as I am sure you are aware.
have you had any issues at all using a US agent? I am about to book with one.[/QUOTE]

No problems, my booking came up straight away on RCI website. Also enjoyed OBC and a speciality meal for 2. Additionally, I've booked from the Tuesday specials list too! Some great offers on there if you can obtain reasonable flights - worth checking ;).

Good to know :)

I've just seen your post on another thread...
Interesting scenario... booking with a US agent means you have paid in USD so a NCC should be purchased in the same currency!

[quote name='villauk']Elizanessie, I was just going to ask the same question as my US TA has already told me that providing it's a $NCC, I should be able to use it for a future booking with her ;).

Icsys, you can't use a £NCC with a US TA.[/quote]

I have UK Critters that buy US NCCs all the time so they can book with our US TA ..no problem whatsoever with buying them in US dollars.

Just make sure you tell the LA onboard that you wish to buy a [B]US NCC[/B] and then you pay the $100...make doubly sure the LA has the NCC with RCCL in the US.

When you are ready to turn the NCC into an actual booking you can transfer it to your US TA and book your cruise...no further deposit required....you can though, add a second person to the booking and pay $100 deposit for them.

[quote name='Elizanessie']I have UK Critters that buy US NCCs all the time so they can book with our US TA ..no problem whatsoever with buying them in US dollars.

Just make sure you tell the LA onboard that you wish to buy a [B]US NCC[/B] and then you pay the $100...make doubly sure the LA has the NCC with RCCL in the US.

When you are ready to turn the NCC into an actual booking you can transfer it to your US TA and book your cruise...no further deposit required....you can though, add a second person to the booking and pay $100 deposit for them.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Elizanessie. I'm going to give it a try whilst on Oasis ;).

[quote name='Elizanessie']I have UK Critters that buy US NCCs all the time so they can book with our US TA ..no problem whatsoever with buying them in US dollars.

When you are ready to turn the NCC into an actual booking you can transfer it to your US TA and book your cruise...no further deposit required....you can though, add a second person to the booking and pay $100 deposit for them.[/quote]

I am so interested in all of this... also - that you live in the Highlands - I am in the Highlands too...!! Which part are you from? Would love to know more of your tips :)

[quote name='*source*']I am so interested in all of this... also - that you live in the Highlands - I am in the Highlands too...!! Which part are you from? Would love to know more of your tips :)[/quote]

I am 16 miles East of Inverness :D

What about you ?

I've been watching this thread with interest and can maybe shed some light on the OBC question and travel agents in the UK.

As I understand it and the fairly new rules, the OBC is supplied by RCCL when they see fit, on certain sailings or as an early booking incentive. At some times they may do an offer with one chain of agents giving only their bookings on a sailing extra OBC or a discount. This seemed to be more common before the change in commission payments. Now, in most cases all UK agents are sold the sailing by RCCL at the same price with the same benefits and they're not supposed to discount (though they sometimes do by giving a very small discount or discount to pay for some OBC).

When an agent in the UK sells a RCCL cruise on the RCCL agent site it doesn't mention OBC and they have to telephone to check if there is any - hence why a lot of agents do the whole booking over the phone.

I'm an agent and I didn't get OBC/Free parking and if we had control over it I'd have made sure I got plenty for myself.:D

Archived