Breakawayers Beware - OBCs

Lulley766

We are just off the London to NY TA. All was perfect until the final morning. We got 2 OBCs = one from World Points for $150, the other from NCL for $100. We checked our online account daily. On the final night had spent the entire $250, and the service charges were applied accordingly against the credits.

On the morning of debarkation they slipped our bill under the door. Lo and behold, the charges had been revised to no longer reflected the services charges being paid, and we now had a $66 unspent OBC.

Infuriated we spoke with guest relations who admitted NCL has "glitch" in their accounting, but refused to do anything about it. His suggestion was to go buy pictures, or order some drinks at the bar (at 6:15 AM!). We balked as we not only had an unused credit, but now owed more because of the unused credit.

The next suggestion floored me. They would equalize the $66 against the services charges. In simple english, they would not pay the staff to reimburse us. They presented us a form to sign. We refused. Two wrongs don't make a right. I was both horrified and incensed that this was what they would even suggest.

Calls were made to the supervisor, who reiterated the suggestions to go buy pictures. Finally after nearly an hour, and huge scene at guest relations, they relented and credited the $66 dollars, (but not from the service charges).

I find their actions unconscionable. My reason for posting this to future Breakawayers is to make everyone aware of their sneaky actions. If NCL had no intentions of applying the OBCs to the service charges, why for 7 days did my OBC balance decline? When I asked that question I got no answer. The answer is that is a sneaky, underhanded practice on the part of NCL to revise the accounts on the last night when people are not likely to look at them. Given the fact that I am platinum, seemed to have counted for nothing, either. I've spent a lot of money with NCL and deserved much better treatment.

Shame on you NCL!

Non refundable obc cant be used towards DSC... This changed about a year ago.. Only obc that counts towards DSC is OBC you can buy prior to the cruise or something a TA may give you.. Any other OBC cant..

I've only been on two NCL cruises but I know that OBC from NCL cannot be used to pay the DSC. As platinum NCL cruisers, are you saying you weren't aware of that?

Or were you watching your online account & thinking you were going to beat the system?

The real question is, did you know that you cannot use OBC for the DSC??? Seems that most of the experienced CC/NCL cruisers know this changed quite some time ago. If you knew and didn't question it, then this is the outcome. First cruise of any ship will have some hiccups.

We are just off the London to NY TA. All was perfect until the final morning. We got 2 OBCs = one from World Points for $150, the other from NCL for $100. We checked our online account daily. On the final night had spent the entire $250, and the service charges were applied accordingly against the credits.

On the morning of debarkation they slipped our bill under the door. Lo and behold, the charges had been revised to no longer reflected the services charges being paid, and we now had a $66 unspent OBC.

Infuriated we spoke with guest relations who admitted NCL has "glitch" in their accounting, but refused to do anything about it. His suggestion was to go buy pictures, or order some drinks at the bar (at 6:15 AM!). We balked as we not only had an unused credit, but now owed more because of the unused credit.

The next suggestion floored me. They would equalize the $66 against the services charges. In simple english, they would not pay the staff to reimburse us. They presented us a form to sign. We refused. Two wrongs don't make a right. I was both horrified and incensed that this was what they would even suggest.

Calls were made to the supervisor, who reiterated the suggestions to go buy pictures. Finally after nearly an hour, and huge scene at guest relations, they relented and credited the $66 dollars, (but not from the service charges).

I find their actions unconscionable. My reason for posting this to future Breakawayers is to make everyone aware of their sneaky actions. If NCL had no intentions of applying the OBCs to the service charges, why for 7 days did my OBC balance decline? When I asked that question I got no answer. The answer is that is a sneaky, underhanded practice on the part of NCL to revise the accounts on the last night when people are not likely to look at them. Given the fact that I am platinum, seemed to have counted for nothing, either. I've spent a lot of money with NCL and deserved much better treatment.

Shame on you NCL!

what the heck does "equalize the $66 against service charges" mean?

The real question is, did you know that you cannot use OBC for the DSC??? Seems that most of the experienced CC/NCL cruisers know this changed quite some time ago. If you knew and didn't question it, then this is the outcome. First cruise of any ship will have some hiccups.

obc from sources other than NCL can be used for service charges.

what the heck does "equalize the $66 against service charges" mean?

It means they would reduce the automatic DSC charge by $66, thus reducing the amount the OP owed at the end of the cruise. The problem with this solution is the crew would lose that $66 out of the tip pool. OP was correct in being outraged by this suggestion. NCL was willing to throw the crew under the bus so they could make $66. Truly pathetic.

On another note, a brand new ship and they still are claiming computer glitches when the OP checked their balance daily? I cry baloney.

The real real question is did YOU know refundable OBC can certainly be used for the DSC? I think most experienced CC/NCL cruisers do know this.

I've only been on two NCL cruises but I know that OBC from NCL cannot be used to pay the DSC. As platinum NCL cruisers, are you saying you weren't aware of that?

Or were you watching your online account & thinking you were going to beat the system?

Whoa, that's mean. OP seemed genuine and nowhere in the post does it appear they were trying to BEAT THE SYSTEM. THere is no sin in being misinformed or confused, if that is the case. We are all guilty of that and more so as the years tick away!

Perhaps you should examine why you are so suspicious of other people's motives. :o

The real real question is did YOU know refundable OBC can certainly be used for the DSC? I think most experienced CC/NCL cruisers do know this.

Of course I know, where is the refundable in this post????

No need to be nasty Phoenix. Why would I question what I was seeing, when NCL was issuing the information? Do you second guess everything you see?

I think you're the one being a little nasty here. I thought the same thing Phoenix did. I've been on 3 NCL cruises and also knew this. If you had known, and no where do you admit to knowing but your wording in this response makes me think you did, you should have gone to guest services and asked. They will tell you straight up what OBCs can be used for the DCS and what can't.

It means they would reduce the automatic DSC charge by $66, thus reducing the amount the OP owed at the end of the cruise. The problem with this solution is the crew would lose that $66 out of the tip pool. OP was correct in being outraged by this suggestion. NCL was willing to throw the crew under the bus so they could make $66. Truly pathetic.

On another note, a brand new ship and they still are claiming computer glitches when the OP checked their balance daily? I cry baloney.

it has zero to do with NCL trying to make or steal money. it has to do with a glitch in the computer and someone trying to cover their A. if they credit the account, they have to state why. if its because of an error, someone is in trouble. they're willing to take the $66 out of the pool because then no explanation is required and with 4k people thats $48k per day going into the pool, $66 won't be missed and none of them get yelled at. i see both sides and it sucks, but it is what it is

No need to be nasty Phoenix. Why would I question what I was seeing, when NCL was issuing the information? Do you second guess everything you see?

If I were you, I would have questioned about it because everyone knows that OBC cannot be be applied towards service charges. You should have known that it was a computer glitch, spent more than an hour to fight for something you really didn't entitle to was silly.

I have to agree with the last comment. It always amazes me whenever I hear some of the petty crap people will spend so much of their time arguing over with the front desk people. And usually they are wrong.

Of course I know, where is the refundable in this post????

Where is non-refundable in your post? You simply say OBC, which is incorrect. There are two kinds of OBC, refundable and non-refundable. I will be happy to assist you with any confusion you may have, just ask.

it has zero to do with NCL trying to make or steal money. it has to do with a glitch in the computer and someone trying to cover their A. if they credit the account, they have to state why. if its because of an error, someone is in trouble. they're willing to take the $66 out of the pool because then no explanation is required and with 4k people thats $48k per day going into the pool, $66 won't be missed and none of them get yelled at. i see both sides and it sucks, but it is what it is

So from your explanation, accountability is not something NCL should strive for? Easier to just steal from the crew? Stealing only a little is ok, but stealing a lot is not ok? Wrong is wrong, no matter how you try to justify it.

OMG, you were on the transatlantic and didn't use $250 onboard???? We were on the Epic transatlantic and our onboard expenditures were over $1200! With drinks, specialty restaurants, spa, we would have spent that $250 in no time! :D

OMG, you were on the transatlantic and didn't use $250 onboard???? We were on the Epic transatlantic and our onboard expenditures were over $1200! With drinks, specialty restaurants, spa, we would have spent that $250 in no time! :D

On our shortened GEM cruise to Bermuda due to Hurricane Sandy,

We started our 5 day adventure with a credit of $1250.00.

I still had to pay $750.00 to get off the ship :eek:

I thought I would have a hard time spending $1250

boy was I wrong

For me this serves as a cogent reminder to check what type of OBC I have! When I'm planning a cruise, I tend to just lump it all together in my head, which I now realize is not wise. We typically spend quite a bit, so we haven't had any unpleasant surprises, but I'll try to pay attention to the type of OBC in the future.

So from your explanation, accountability is not something NCL should strive for? Easier to just steal from the crew? Stealing only a little is ok, but stealing a lot is not ok? Wrong is wrong, no matter how you try to justify it.

when did i say that? i said i understood both sides, i never said either one was right. for the record, i think both of them were wrong. the OP for thinking they got one over on NCL and got away with something then flipped out when they didn't and the staff for offering to take the $66 out of tips. you either cover it because of the computer glitch or you don't, it should have been a clear policy as i'm sure others must have had the same issue before this so they knew what they had to deal with

I can see being disappointed. But not worth the hastle of getting too upset. After all, you were on the first sailing of the newest of the fleet. What could be more exciting than that? Don't let a $66 credit ruin that experience. :cool:

Archived