Princess Secrets they Don't Tell You - 2013 version

I'm booked on a B2B in November and was told that because the computer looks at it as separate segments, each one must be zeroed out separately and a new boarding card generated for each segment. I know I can leave my luggage in the cabin but there's still a question of whether you have to physically de-board the ship and re-board. I've had it answered both ways by 2 different Princess agents. Here's hoping I can sleep in!

We had a friend who did a B2B and had to get off briefly but was allowed back on before other pax boarded.

On cruising out of SF to Alaska, bear in mind the currents come down the coast from Alaska. So the ship is going against the currents northbound and will feel rougher. It's the same situation sailing back from Mexico to L.A. Ginger and Seabands are supposed to help with seasickness but I'd play it safe and ask the doctor for the prescription patch.

True in general but we did a north bound Alaska and it was true to what you said but some friends did the same cruise after ours and they were hit southbound. They said dishes and glasses were crashing. On one northbound from Mexico we hit a patch of rough weather. We were in the back of the ship and it didn't bother greatly us but the people in the front suffered.

Actually I was once on the Song of Norway and a gentleman at the bar was very, shall we say relaxed, and the ship was rolling back and forth on one roll when the ship righted he didn't and both he and the stool ended up on the floor. He did however bounce right back up and put the stool back climbed back on it and continued drinking.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Forums mobile app

LOL:D. I have sailed Transatlantic on Cunard since the original Queen Mary (as a kid) and have always found it interesting about the effects of drink in heavy seas. As you can imagine, year round crossings of the North Atlantic might get you in some very rough seas.:eek: Even with lots of motion of the ocean, drinkers (myself included) tend to walk straighter than non drinkers who all seem to bounce from side to side in the passageways. Not a scientific study, just a long running observation. Excuse me bartender, may I have another?:D:D

LOL:D. I have sailed Transatlantic on Cunard since the original Queen Mary (as a kid) and have always found it interesting about the effects of drink in heavy seas. As you can imagine, year round crossings of the North Atlantic might get you in some very rough seas.:eek: Even with lots of motion of the ocean, drinkers (myself included) tend to walk straighter than non drinkers who all seem to bounce from side to side in the passageways. Not a scientific study, just a long running observation. Excuse me bartender, may I have another?:D:D

I agree. When I see people staggering around during rough seas I always suggest they get a drink to help them walk straight. ;)

I'm booked on a B2B in November and was told that because the computer looks at it as separate segments, each one must be zeroed out separately and a new boarding card generated for each segment. I know I can leave my luggage in the cabin but there's still a question of whether you have to physically de-board the ship and re-board. I've had it answered both ways by 2 different Princess agents. Here's hoping I can sleep in!

If you do not plan to otherwise leave the ship, you will need to meet (a letter will tell you where and the time) about 10 AM to go off the ship (using old cruise card) for a few minutes and then reboard with your new cruise card.

So depending how quickly you can dress before about 10 AM, you can sleep in.

If you do not plan to otherwise leave the ship, you will need to meet (a letter will tell you where and the time) about 10 AM to go off the ship (using old cruise card) for a few minutes and then reboard with your new cruise card.

So depending how quickly you can dress before about 10 AM, you can sleep in.

or how you define "sleep in". It's way different now than when I was younger and slept until noon. :D

We just returned from an Alaska b2b with turnaround day in Whittier. As said there was a 10:00 AM meeting for those not planning to go ashore to activate the new cards received the night before. Later we simply went to the onboard gangway & they scanned our old & new cards and used our photo from the 1st segment.

So even if you're not going ashore you can easily activate your new cards at the gangway without doing it at 10:00. :)

The experience may vary depending on the port...in Whittier & Copenhagen we didn't need to physically exit the ship; in Ft. Lauderdale arriving from Europe everyone including crew had to exit the ship to be processed by Immigration & Customs.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Thanks all! Well, I did it. I booked my cruise for next summer (and am now researching seasick bands! lol I know the first 2 days are rough) and I chose to gamble. It was either a 7 day RT Seattle or Vancouver Alaskan cruise in an oceanview, or an 11 day RT San Francisco cruise to Alaska next summer in an inside cabin. I'm a teacher. Can't afford better than that! LOL And the bonus is, I live 30 minutes from the port in San Francisco, so I'm saving on airfare. I'm going on a dream vacation and I'm happy to be going. If I get an upgrade...it'll be a bonus! If not, I'll be outside or near a window except when I'm sleeping! Can't complain when you get to go on a cruise, knowing other people in this world can't even begin to consider it. I'll work my way up to Elite status one inside cabin at a time! lol (Okay, so this is the first non-balcony I've ever had, should be interesting, and with a 7 year old!! :eek: )

Booked a guarantee. I don't care much where on the ship we'll be. I've been front, center, and aft and it all feels the same to me, so I chose to gamble by not picking a cabin. Here's hoping I get a visit from the upgrade fairy! I believe in fairies!

great attitude ,

sailed from frisco twice and what a great experience going under the golden gate bridge . enjoy Alaska its amazing you,ll rarelly be in the cabin ,you,llbe whale watching , :D:D

great attitude ,sailed from frisco twice and what a great experience going under the golden gate bridge . enjoy Alaska its amazing you,ll rarelly be in the cabin ,you,llbe whale watching , :D:D

You struck a cord with me. I have only left Frisco once and it was not commercial. It was a MATS ship in 1966 and I was headed to Hawaii to join the 25th Division and some units were waiting to get on the ship when we arrived.

But I remember being on the bow and going under the Golden Gate and I could hear Tony Bennett singing "I left my heart in San Francisco" I spent five day at the relocation center in Oakland and had plenty of time to enjoy the Bay area. I loved it. But I was a scared 18 yo wondering what in the world lay ahead of me.

You struck a cord with me. I have only left Frisco once and it was not commercial. It was a MATS ship in 1966 and I was headed to Hawaii to join the 25th Division and some units were waiting to get on the ship when we arrived.

But I remember being on the bow and going under the Golden Gate and I could hear Tony Bennett singing "I left my heart in San Francisco" I spent five day at the relocation center in Oakland and had plenty of time to enjoy the Bay area. I loved it. But I was a scared 18 yo wondering what in the world lay ahead of me.

I think that sailing under the Golden Gate Bridge from San Francisco is one of the joys of cruising and will get even better when our new cruise terminal opens.

"Thanks for the all the tips!! I'm making lots of mental notes to remember everything for my first princess cruise that is coming up.":)

My 21st Princess cruise is in Sept., but I'm learning/getting so many ideas from this & other threads! No mental notes for me (too old!) -- I copy/paste tips & email them to myself. Before I leave, I'll print them for my notebook.

THANKS, ALL!

Thanks for all the hints and tips. I too am copying and pasting for my notebook. :)

I am booked on the Caribbean Princess for this Nov. Third cruise, can't wait.

My husband and I always purchase the photo that has the itinerary on it. A few cruises ago we took an awful picture for that background. We asked about it and were told that you can put any photo with any background as long as the orientation of your photograph was correct for the template they were using. (There was an additional charge if you wanted a formal night picture used.) This was nice to know. We have taken advantage of this a few times.

I also have a Nikon camera and my battery charger burnt out right before we got on board. The photography dept was nice enough to charge my battery for me everyday.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Thanks for the tip, will definitely keep this in mind. :)

Hey folks that have participated in the book club. I planned on buying the book and getting a head start, I was worried that I won't be able to finish the book (I have plans for those 10 sea days, I don't want to be reading every day!). But I just looked up the book for the Star Princess inOct and it's only available kindle or hard back.

The book is The Silver Star by Jeanette Wells. I don't mind paying for the book myself. I'm just surprised to see its only available Hard Back.

For those of you that have done the book club in the past, is it usually hard back books?

I have seen a lot of post on this thread in regards to purchasing 100 shares of Carnival Corp stock and receiving OBC each time you cruise. The amount given is determined by the length of the cruise. I already receive OBC for being a Veteran. If I were to purchase 100 shares of Carnival Corp stock would I be able to combine the two credits? Thanks

Mike

I have seen a lot of post on this thread in regards to purchasing 100 shares of Carnival Corp stock and receiving OBC each time you cruise. The amount given is determined by the length of the cruise. I already receive OBC for being a Veteran. If I were to purchase 100 shares of Carnival Corp stock would I be able to combine the two credits? Thanks

Mike

Absolutely! :D. Both have the same OBCs determined by the number of days sailing & I receive both on my cruises.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Mike

My Carnival person said yes when I booked. You can get both. However, with the veteran OBC you cannot use it for tips. I am not sure if you can use the shareholders OBC for tips.

However, with the veteran OBC you cannot use it for tips. I am not sure if you can use the shareholders OBC for tips.

The onboard accounting system is not set up to allow some OBC not to be used for certain items, so it is a policy they would like to follow but cannot at this time. Your onboard account starts out with a credit and anything charged to it is subtracted from that credit until you start owing money.

By making a statement that it cannot be used for tips, they hope to "scare" you into making additional onboard purchases (from wine to shops to shore excursions).

I already receive OBC for being a Veteran. If I were to purchase 100 shares of Carnival Corp stock would I be able to combine the two credits?

As others posted, you can have both.

The main difference is that if you have two veterans in a cabin, both can get the Veterans' OBC. But there is only one stockholder OBC per cabin even if two occupants own shares.

Edited by caribill

Hey folks that have participated in the book club. I planned on buying the book and getting a head start, I was worried that I won't be able to finish the book (I have plans for those 10 sea days, I don't want to be reading every day!). But I just looked up the book for the Star Princess inOct and it's only available kindle or hard back.

The book is The Silver Star by Jeanette Wells. I don't mind paying for the book myself. I'm just surprised to see its only available Hard Back.

For those of you that have done the book club in the past, is it usually hard back books?

I think you will find that all "newly" published books come in the Hardback version first with the paperback version at a later date. Maybe you could go to your local library and read their copy before you cruise. Good Luck.

My Carnival person said yes when I booked. You can get both. However, with the veteran OBC you cannot use it for tips. I am not sure if you can use the shareholders OBC for tips.

Onboard credit is onboard credit and can be used for anything charged against your account.

Mike:)

One secret I'd like to know is the one about the elusive upgrade fairy! I'm debating who I should book with, in hopes I might be the lucky chosen one. lol Not expecting it, no. I do wonder if it requires a booking through Princess or if it happens with other TA's, too.

We have booked through a local TA. We probably get upgrades half of the time. No one can tell me how it works.

The onboard accounting system is not set up to allow some OBC not to be used for certain items, so it is a policy they would like to follow but cannot at this time. Your onboard account starts out with a credit and anything charged to it is subtracted from that credit until you start owing money.

By making a statement that it cannot be used for tips, they hope to "scare" you into making additional onboard purchases (from wine to shops to shore excursions).

Interesting. Thanks.

OBC is just a credit to your on board account. Charges go against the credit until it is used up. This includes tips