"Live from" ms Volendam to Alaska! My First HAL Experience

So do we!!

Having the chairs covered and candles on the table just makes everything look elegant on a formal night.

Food looks good.

DH also loves escargots. But on some ships they have been doing it with a cheese sauce instead of the garlic sauce.

I know right? It just sets the atmosphere!

Ooh I just loove escargots (:, I know! I've read about them, and I assure you, the garlic and herb escargots are way better than the cheese ones!

Thank you so, so very much for posting this! We have enjoyed reading every word! We aren't traveling on the Volendam but the Westerdam. Do any of you frequent HAL cruisers know how closely each ship follows the menus?

You're welcome :) I'm happy that you like my report! I find that it's usually more fun on larger ships. Lucky! & I'm sure the menus would be similar c:

Edited by lovely_serenity

I'm really enjoying your review and your photos are excellent. We will be leaving for Alaska next Saturday on the Zuiderdam. I am hoping they serve the same menus on the Zuiderdam. I'm anxiously awaiting the rest of your review and photos.

I'm really enjoying your review and your photos are excellent. We will be leaving for Alaska next Saturday on the Zuiderdam. I am hoping they serve the same menus on the Zuiderdam. I'm anxiously awaiting the rest of your review and photos.

Thanks for following! :) I hope I'll be able to provide as much info as I can before you leave for your trip! Sorry if it takes too long, I still have classes to go to everyday && tests and whatnot ^^'

A last look back on our ship & the beautiful scenery of the Great White North:

We walked and walked, and I happened upon what looked to me like a perfect scenic shot. I looked pretty stupid crouching down in the middle of the street, trying to keep other trees out of my shot LOL. There were actually 2 large trees that blocked my view. I had to angle myself around them. ^^ This pretty little spot was also downhill from where I stood, so it made it THAT much more difficult to avoid the big trees.

8756209242_dfee3f1065_b.jpg

I have been loving your review. We were on the Volendam last summer and this is bringing back some great memories. I have enjoyed seeing the scenery in May - quite a bit of a contrast from July, but the snow makes for some beautiful pictures.

I had to smile when I saw some of your Skagway photos. What a gorgeous spot. I got exactly the same photo of the little lake that you took. This is one of my favourite photos. Thought you might like to see what it was like in July. ( I convinced my son sit/pose on the bench:D) Amazing that we were standing in almost the same spot!!

8776741838_0a1d59790d_b.jpg

I have been loving your review. We were on the Volendam last summer and this is bringing back some great memories. I have enjoyed seeing the scenery in May - quite a bit of a contrast from July, but the snow makes for some beautiful pictures.

I had to smile when I saw some of your Skagway photos. What a gorgeous spot. I got exactly the same photo of the little lake that you took. This is one of my favourite photos. Thought you might like to see what it was like in July. ( I convinced my son sit/pose on the bench:D) Amazing that we were standing in almost the same spot!!

8776741838_0a1d59790d_b.jpg

I'm happy to hear that you're enjoying my review! (: Oh, no kidding? Wow, the difference in the weather by 2 months is crazy!

LOL the difference in the picture's weather is astounding ^^. Jealous! Did you crawl down that little dip? I couldn't, Mom & Dad were leaving :p

We finished up what would be our favourite entrées and were handed tonight's dessert menu. While we decided, we took our Bonine (which we would do every night).

Here was our dessert menus:

8850194041_7ed132d662_b.jpg

8850813926_c6f83807c9_b.jpg

We all ordered and chatted for a bit until dessert arrived. First up was Sis's Master Chef'd Sundae:

8850201345_e2acf5e292_b.jpg

I thought it was quite tasty. I like macadamia nuts & fruits, so this would've been a good fit for me. I only took a bite though (:

Here was Bro's Mango Sorbet:

8850199223_c2101f30cb_b.jpg

As usual, pretty good. One bite for me c:

Next to come were my Esterel Cakes:

8850818004_21576f7e9c_b.jpg

I quite enjoyed this one. It's texture was like a compacted cross between a wafer and a cake. Along with the chocolaty goodness inside, it gave it a chewy texture. The type that take a bit more pressing to cut it with your fork. I liked it! :D

Finally, here was Mom & Dad's Soufflé au Grand Marnier:

8850201939_8c4fc40edb_b.jpg

I thought it was pretty good. So did everyone else. The only complaints from Mom & Dad were that it didn't taste like Marnier at all (an alcohol I believe).

Oh well o_o

We wiped our mouths and started making our way out of the restaurant. As I passed through the doors, I turned around to see this, again

8850199867_8131d99f0b_b.jpg

LOL dude. Stop. :p

We hung around random places and took family pictures using the tripod. We even went to have some ship photographers take some pictures too. Apparently, these pictures we took were "somehow gone", so they never showed up in the gallery. :/ Really? *sigh* We even asked them to look for them. They weren't even in the database -_-

Any who, we finally arrived at the Franz Hal Lounge:

8850820004_ac7e3732ca_b.jpg

To watch tonight's show which would feature Bob Brizendine, or, "The Magic Bob". He was a comedian magician. (Actually, more a comedian than a magician. He was pretty funny, but his tricks were meh. Not exciting. Nothing that makes you say Woah~ or anything like that. He was funny though! My Dad's kind of comedy (: )

This was where my dilemma from last night kicked in. Today's schedule would go like this:

The Magic Bob: 10pm - 11pm ish

The Dessert Extravaganza:

PICTURE TAKING SESSION (NO ONE TOUCHES THE FOOD): 10:15pm - 10:30pm

Then from 10:30pm onward, you could eat.

O.M.G. 0_0 WHY. MY PICTURES. THE SHOW! ASDGDFHSDG D; WHY???

I wanted my pictures. But I wanted to watch the show. :( So what I was going to do was come to the show and at 10:15pm, run upstairs, take pictures and run back down.

While we were enjoying the show, I saw the it was time for me to go. As I was about to go, Dad offered to do it for me. :0 Really? But.. what about the show? He insisted that it was fine. I gave in and he ran upstairs. 5 minutes later, I heard him hissing from the back. I ran over there to see what was up. The camera was still set on timer mode (from back when we were taking family pics) and he didn't know how to change it back. Oops. Sorry Dad o_o

I kind of felt bad afterwards because after watching the show, as well as Dad's reaction to the latter half of it, he really would've enjoyed it more than I had. It was really EXACTLY his type of comedy. :( I should have gone >_<'

Well anyways. next up will be our dessert extravaganza pictures! I really don't know it they were my pictures or Dad's because I mixed them all up in order to choose which ones to use. Literally, I cut it down to 50ish from ... 160 pictures. o_o You're welcome. LOL

It was designed in a way that surrounded the Lido pool. (So 2 sides of similar things)

Here's the first thing I saw upon entering the Lido pool area:

8863647369_9c7221a574_b.jpg

I then veered directly to the left (where tacos and burgers usually are) and saw that the stand was now filled with this! :

8864280308_810ea56012_b.jpg

8863647997_be2dfb19bf_b.jpg

I followed along the path to the left and saw a man making something. Hm, I wonder what it is?

8864251026_a5f32affd7_b.jpg

It's probably good, because the line up stretched to the other side of the pool. -_-

Yeah.. I don't think so.

Ohhh, this is what he was making! I got a closer look and took a quick pic:

8863644515_258f6eb16b_b.jpg

Crêpes! I just love them, but that line is just not worth it ^^'

I continued down the left side of the SUPER crowded pool deck (it was like the whole ship came to have a meeting by the pool ^^') and saw that they had moved the ice cream station & guy out here:

8863646557_8c99ffdd02_b.jpg

8863645853_1575f67093_b.jpg

(I remember reading on Cruise Critic that the ice cream on board has flavoured liqueurs that you could put on it for free. (I read for parents & Bro) I actually never ever saw that! o_o? Hm..

Now that the side stuff were taken care of, I U-turned back to the entrance of the line up. (You lined up, were given a plate and napkin & you pointed at stuff you wanted. I guy would serve you).

At the mouth of the entrance (line up on one side of a belt), there were 2 ice statues (other side of pool is different).

A creepy angel baby one:

8864233680_5130e73972_b.jpg

And an ugly, unidentifiable one:

8863628165_acb4bbf577_b.jpg

It's weird. I recall thinking it looked really cool, but now they just look.. weird.

I then commenced taking random photos of cakes and whatnot. These shots are mixed with Dad's earlier shots too. They're probably mostly his though. I'm not sure anymore ^^'

Here was a chocolate fountain shot I took! It looked pretty and there was a matching one on the other side! (You'll see later)

8864249610_f77550a7bd_b.jpg

I saw at the beginning of side #1, an ugly reused-looking cake that said:

8864228758_39778f5ceb_b.jpg

Right behind it, you would then see:

8871965439_9dc10b50aa_b.jpg

Followed by this:

8864263476_3618354bb0_b.jpg

It had an awesome looking dragon chocolate on it. (made via molding) I would later take one of these LOL. I simply stared at it, pointed at it and asked: "Can I have that? c:" He said yes. :D

This lovely Croquembouche was displayed behind it:

8863642957_063e5b8f64_b.jpg

Behind this delicious tower of goodness was a cute, barbie princess-looking cake & her castle :D :

8864233306_2d95b6b36a_b.jpg

8863626375_30f84ba133_b.jpg

Moving down the line, I came upon these beauties:

8864272902_9e9505c373_b.jpg

8872015915_15639bdf96_b.jpg

8872625218_2a825976ff_b.jpg

And this epic looking dragon chocolate.

I don't know about you, but I could see my name written all over it (;

8864283112_f8626b3abe_b.jpg

It had some pretty vegetable flowers displayed underneath:

8863665177_e01dfa847f_b.jpg

There's actually a funny story that goes with it c: After I had waited for the majority of the crowds to disperse (later), I went and lined up for food (for real). It was pretty dark and the only things lighting up the room were the pool lights. As I pick and chose what I wanted, a crew member ran up to me and offered me an orange rose. I stared at it for a moment and accepted it. "Thanks!" I said. He looked at me and started laughing a mischievous laugh: "Hahaha ^^ that's a carrot" and then he ran away. LOL

Anyways, let's keep moving down the line:

8863659265_573e633c72_b.jpg

As I examined the cakes, I turned & lo and behold, this epitome of epicness. The chocolate dragon.

8872627550_655e815d6e_b.jpg

I stared at it for a few seconds in awe before I continued on.

8863660751_02290aac11_b.jpg

I'd also take one of those LOL. Yeah. The huge caramel sugar candy tower. ^^

8863641979_10950e025f_b.jpg

Once I approached the end of the cake tables, I noticed another area people were gathering to take pictures of. I must hurry. It beckons me :0

I ran over and saw this:

8863630541_520c71cf39_b.jpg

Covered in various decorated & designed breads, This stand was mobbed by people. There was a HAL bread, some Alaskan themed breads on top, a castle, a tower of Pisa and other snacks people could actually eat.

Here's a view from the other side of it: (shimmies my way through the crowd of people)

8872168389_5ca8cf8a16_b.jpg

Here's the best shot I could get of their HAL castle cake/bread thing:

8864237776_dd9040a87c_b.jpg

Notice how it got hit by someone else's flash? There were SO many flashes going on, it felt like a red carpet premier of something! o_o And then there's me. LOL

I then ran forward to get some shots of the food people could actually take:

8863632503_5cfb9407ed_b.jpg

8872779816_5e64c76fbb_b.jpg

After finishing with my bread photos, I proceeded to the next side of the pool. I saw that many cake bases were the same, just with different decorations.

First to get taken was matching chocolate fountain number 2! :D

8872223357_0df9009ae9_b.jpg

Look at all that beautiful white chocolate :D I never actually saw many people using them.

Onward to cake table #2! ^^~

First, I saw the 2 different ice sculptures. I thought these two looked much nicer than the last 2.

The first one was of an awesome peacock:

8872221369_6545b71d41_b.jpg

and the second resembled the "Merlion" of Singapore. It was probably just supposed to be a lion though LOL. ^^'

8872237627_498b210fe5_b.jpg

This reminded me of the display bronze lions in front of the perfume/jewelry place. They have a lamp-looking thing that's held up by 2 underfed lions c:

Here was the first cake I set my sights on, beautiful isn't it? c: :

8872228865_60a2cc8f0d_b.jpg

Thank you for taking the time to post this excellent review. DH would like to take an Alaskan cruise and while I prefer a warmer destination it looks beautiful!

You're welcome! (: & thanks for taking the time to read it! I think that even though a hot destination is preferable to you, it'd still be a good idea to try something new! Try it once, and if you don't like it, don't do it again ^^