"Live from" ms Volendam to Alaska! My First HAL Experience

I took these while I waited for the sandwich to be done:

8811038788_ca8296ba12_b.jpg

8811038592_8fd1796795_b.jpg

We went back to our room and gave it to Sis. I ate half of her chips and watched the movie Brave with her. Later today I'd also watch the new Wizard of Oz movie that features Mila Kunis. It was interesting c:

There was literally nothing to do today until dinner so we hung out in our room and watched 2 movies. I also took a pic of our night time buddies :D (the 2 on the right are mine, the duck is Sis's)

8800458117_76025d7a13_b.jpg

I'm sorry if this seems childish, but I've taken them everywhere. I'm serious when I say that the tiger in the middle has been to more places around the world than an average person. o_o' I started doing this when I was very young (got him in Vegas) so it just felt wrong to abruptly stop bringing him. He's been to various parts of Asia, the States, Canada, Caribbean, Paris and Australia. He's also been on 4 cruises now LOL. What a spoiled tiger c:

At some point, everyone decided to go eat some food in the Lido (it's set up for early sitting dinner, good food LOL). I was in the bathroom when everyone said they'd be back real quick. They lied D; I sat around for a bit before I decided to go up myself. I found them in our usual corner we sit in, finishing up their food. :( They apologized and told me to grab some stuff to take back to the room.

I first took a shot of a random dessert I thought was interesting:

8811037888_6e413ba9da_b.jpg

and grabbed a Duck Pâté, Caviar and Salmon:

8811037562_8847af6a36_b.jpg

(I find I quite like caviar :D)

and a Bay Shrimp Cocktail:

8820443470_24910387bb_b.jpg

Then headed back to our rooms. Sis ate the little piece of bread on my plate and I finished off the rest.

After a bit, we started getting ready for our last formal night. Sis played with my camera while I got ready:

8811038012_91700f207f_b.jpg

You can see the pamphlets on the left. Those are the coupon books you seriously need to get from the guy as you're embarking.

That there is my mom's Coach bag :D She likes small travel sized bags like that for trips c:

You can also see our mini power bar to the right. BRING ONE. I CAN NOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH. THERE IS ONLY ONE PLUG. A SINGLE HOLE IN THE WALL. You really need to bring a little power bar :/

After we got ready, we took some random pictures of each other and headed out ~45 minutes before dinner started. This was so that we could bring out the tripod and take some family photos.

We arrived in the restaurant and it looked like this:

8811039970_35f1d911a7_b.jpg

They had the entire restaurant decked out! :D They covered all the chairs in little sleeves to make everything look fancier ^^

*Note: I'm the type who likes to tuck my feet under my chair, so I found it a tad bit awkward when I did just that, the chair sleeve flung my feet back forward o_o

They also had a new table decoration:

8800460533_c0dd21f6cc_b.jpg

Pretty candle holder c:

8810038141_61ec5b3829_b.jpg

We settled down and got handed our menus:

8820625808_97b10ef0f9_b.jpg

Sarah, do you also keep a blog or tumblr? I'd love to follow you if that's okay.

Yes, I actually do! :D and I'd be glad if you were to follow me. I have my travel one in my signature (at the bottom) and to the left of my tumblr page, it links to my other food one LOL

Thanks for your thorough report and food photos.

We had the New Zealand Salmon Wellington once on a Trans Pacific cruise, but am sure it did not have all that rice.

You're welcome :)

Oh, seriously? Man, now they're trying to save money by stuffing half of it with rice! -_-

So my birthday will not only be Glacier Bay day, but also a Formal Night? Excellent! I can't wait to see the dessert menu...

Wow, you're so lucky LOL, how can one person have so much luck?? I loved having my birthday on formal night #1, I got a cake and happy birthday. It feels all the more special when everyone dresses up. In my head, I'd like to think that everyone dressed up for me ;) As I enter the room, (in my mind) I'm like, "don't worry all, i have arrived ;D" LOL

Really am enjoying all of your post!! You have a great eye for taking pictures and your writing makes me.. Happy :D you have gift.

Thanks so much :)

I'm glad c: Aw, you're too kind ^^ I am so happy that I can do that for you! You flatter me :p

you're welcome!

We all finished ordering and I took like, 20 pictures of my family while we wait.

Finally our food was here!

First to arrive were my Escargots de Bourguignon. First, I took a shot of it with the piece of bread on top, looked at the pic realized it looked stupid and took the bread off because you basically couldn't see anything. o_o' So I took another pic of my escargots.

8810041055_d54532d875_b.jpg

Better, right? :D I'm pretty sure everyone ordered them. Even Sis ^^ They wasted awesome. Deliciously herby and buttery LOL

I then took a picture of my Jumbo Shrimp Cocktail. (Everyone else ordered one too, except Sis)

8810041833_842e936bfc_b.jpg

Disappointingly the ONLY real shrimp cocktail I had the entire trip. Don't get me wrong, they all tasted good, but all the other ones were made with bay shrimps. Like, baby shrimps.. -_- today, I finally ate real shrimps. *sigh* At least they were delicious, right?

Just when I was about put away my camera and dig in, Bro's escargots arrived. 0_0 Woah.

8820630300_7915acd3eb_b.jpg

LOL, still not a surprise to us. ^^

After our delicious appetizers, Dad's Cream of Four-Mushroom Soup came.

8810045061_321f6e7b51_b.jpg

After I took a picture of it and put away my camera (I always stowed it just behind my butt because there was literally NO WHERE to put it .. ever. -_-

I can't say whether it was good or not because when I looked up from our conversation. Dad had finished it already o_o' He laughed and apologized and said he forgot to give us some while we were talking. He said it's okay,we weren't missing too much. It was just typical mushroom soup. He said it was good.

Finally, our main course we've been looking forward to all week arrived. The Surf and Turf! Everyone ordered one.

8810048435_21874580c2_b.jpg

It was outstanding. Very very good. The lobster meat looks like it's poking out because they already pull most of the meat out of the tail to make it easier for you to eat. The Filet Mignon (ordered medium rare, seriously, order it that way or go home LOL. IF you like pink in your meat*) was cooked to perfection. Very well cooked.

Mom & Sis decided to trade their lobster & filet mignon because Sis doesn't really eat lobster, but she loves steak. Mom was cook with it either was, but prefers lobster so it was a win-win.

Here's a shot I got of Sis slicing a piece of one of her filet mignons. See how beautifully it's cooked inside? :D

8810049197_0896817e00_b.jpg

We enjoyed out food very well ^^

Edited by lovely_serenity

Thank you so, so very much for posting this! We have enjoyed reading every word! We aren't traveling on the Volendam but the Westerdam. Do any of you frequent HAL cruisers know how closely each ship follows the menus?