"Live from" ms Volendam to Alaska! My First HAL Experience

Thanks for taking the time to write and post the review of your Volendam cruise to Alaska. Your picture are awesome. Really a good job

lovely_serenity. I think I've gain 10 pounds just looking at all that great food.

Haha, thank you (: & you're welcome! (Imagine how much weight I've gained while posting them! ^^)

Enjoyed your photos of all the great deserts, I even printed off a few that I have not seen to show to DW since she is the sweets eater in the family.

LOL Awwh :D I'm so flattered that my pictures are print-worthy! ^^ I hope she enjoys drooling over(?) them Haha c:

8872862808_72c7d1b86c_b.jpg

I looked up and saw that on this side, they had more animal themed desserts. Here's a pretty amazing looking eagle:

8872234275_f03ce7fdd4_b.jpg

A chocolate Eiffel Tower:

8872238667_0251135b82_b.jpg

Complete with Castle Barbie's friend: Eiffel Tower Barbie:

8872240409_27e60d1390_b.jpg

and her own cross between an Komodo dragon, an alligator and a dragon! c: (plus, its turtle minions ^^)

8872847646_2819910e8d_b.jpg

Continuing on with the cakes that surrounded this bunch:

8872248109_fbb56c2234_b.jpg

8872271387_979581328d_b.jpg

8872880732_e607995ae7_b.jpg

At last, I reached the end of the table.

8872833202_2b83e068ee_b.jpg

Now I was ready to get food. Before I ran over to get food, I passed the taco stand and took a quick pic of this cake:

8872269159_491b230a5e_b.jpg

I also got this shot of the inside of the dragon cake:

8883715827_f4359d6ef0_b.jpg

I put my camera on my shoulder and started lining up for food. I beckoned for Sis and received an annoyed looking child clip clopping over to me.

Sis: "What??" -_-

Me: "Help me relay food back to Mom & Dad!"

Sis: "ARGH you're so annoying!"

Me: =_= Okay fine then, put this on your conscience! Mom & Dad don't get dessert because you're too lazy to do it!

Sis: ... ARGH. *crosses arms and waits on other side of the belt*

We brought back cakes and my sugar structures (cakes are 7/10) and this is what they looked like. (it was funny watching people reaction to my plate :p)

Here's my chocolate dragon #1:

8883733693_dc801da083_b.jpg

(There's 3 types of cake hiding underneath it)

Here's chocolate dragon #2:

8883733211_1ec7f5bffc_b.jpg

and here's my sugar structure: :D

8884352892_59d7cec21b_b.jpg

Everyone thought it was hysterical that I took the cake's decorations. (: We all laughed and munched on them for a while until Mom cut us off.

We stayed and ate/chatted in the Lido until around midnight before we started to get ready to leave.

We actually wound up eating quite a substantial amount! We brought the plates back to our rooms to finish off later.

Unfortunately, we ended up throwing it away a day later because Mom was worried that the cream stuck to it had gone bad and would give us a stomach ache if we digested it :/ Aw.

We made our way downstairs and prepped to sleep in our respective rooms. Not much movement in water still, and I drifted off to sleep (:

End of Day 5

I haven't been to a Dessert Extravaganza in years (decades?). After looking at all these pictures, I think I've decided to go on my next cruise. I want a piece of cake desperately.

Thanks a bunch. :eek:

thanks for posting these dessert pics!! i was on the Zuiderdam last week and ended up being too tired to check out the extravaganza. looks like i missed out on some wonderful creations!

Awh! That's too bad! Still, count your lucky stars you avoided getting mobbed & waiting in super long line ups ^^

Well, did you enjoy your cruise?

Edited by lovely_serenity

Your Dessert Extravaganza looked way better than the one we had on a recent cruise.

I was thinking the opposite, but it has been 2011 since I cruised on HAL. Although at the time I wasn't overally impressed with the Dessert Extravagnza, I will say the creations were a bit more elaborate and creative than what I am seeing here.

What shocked me so much about the Dessert Extravaganza was all the waste. After the event was over, they just threw out everything that was left and there was a lot left. Besides the waste factor, I thought the crew must be disheartened to see the fruits of their labors just dumped in the trash. :eek:

I haven't been to a Dessert Extravaganza in years (decades?). After looking at all these pictures, I think I've decided to go on my next cruise. I want a piece of cake desperately.

Thanks a bunch. :eek:

:D Yay! I'm glad that I made you want to revisit the Dessert Extravaganza! ^^ I feel so accomplished now :p

:) I hope all you have shared will find its way to the OOsterdam as we do an Alaska cruise on June 30. I will know what to choose for food and what to avoid. Loved your comments on all aspects. Been on six HAL cruises and loved them all. Your pics were really great. Now I can't wait!

Awh! That's too bad! Still, count your lucky stars you avoided getting mobbed & waiting in super long line ups ^^

Well, did you enjoy your cruise?

Yes I did enjoy my cruise, thank you for asking! :) LOVED IT. My first time with HAL also. (previous cruises with Princess)

I actually avoided the dessert extravaganza, fearing the crowds and line ups :( But next time, I'll be sure to check it out.

I want to go back on another 7 day before the Alaska season ends this year! :D You are a very lucky girl to be able to cruise/travel so much at such a young age! I'm about double your age and have only started traveling in the last couple of years :P