"Live from" ms Volendam to Alaska! My First HAL Experience

Thanks for the extra tips! I'm amazed at all of the foods and desserts you were to able to sample! That's interesting about the terrace grill. I had heard that was a decent place to get a snack, particularly after coming back from shore excursions before dinner. It sounds like you would recommend just waiting for dinner.

I mean to say the special BBQ whatevers next to the pool always accumulate such a line up, but are actually usually just ok. The terrace grill was just okay as well. I would actually just go to the lido for all of my pre-dinner eating! && you're welcome :)

Wow, what an epic read. The title caught my attention because my wife and I are doing a 2 week Celebrity cruise from Vancouver to Seward and back in late May this year.

First let me say that the maturity of your writing comes as quite a surprise knowing that you were only sixteen when you did the cruise. Your photographic skills are also very good and show that you have a good eye for detail.

You are obviously a very intelligent girl and could easily make your mark in what ever profession you choose and I wish you well.

Thank you Sarah for the huge effort you have put into this review, it has helped me in a few decisions I have to make regarding our cruise in May and I am sure it has helped countless others as well.

Edited by Aussiepair

I'm very happy you're enjoying it! Thanks for taking the time to read it! :) mm, if I were to add additional tips, I would say:

1.) Have at least one serving of hard ice cream in a waflle cone everyday

2.) Be sure to attend all of the themed teas, as well as one regular tea

3.) If you are disatisfied with your dinner serving team (and this applies to all cruises), get your team swapped on day one. They have a huge impact on the enjoymant of your trip.

4.) bring some sort of disinfectant wipes for your room, they'll come in handy.

5.) even if you've been to the port before, it never hurts to get off for a little bit!

6.) go to every night time show

7.) go randomly check out the Lido pre-dinner. At around 5, you can eat some dinner foods and see a preview of what you're going to eat that night! (If you're late seating)

8.) lying down on your bed when seasick > standing > sitting

9.) Bonine = best motion sickness medication

10.) bring a good camera for scenic cruises in places like Alaska

11.) it's cold there LOL

12.) the poolside Grill things aren't worth the long line up unless you've literallly got NOTHING to do ^^'

13.) play giant chess, its fun. Little chess is pretty cool too

14.) THERE'S HIDDEN BATHROOM STORAGE BEHIND THE MIRROR

And that's all I can think of at the moment, but I'll tell you if I come up with some more! :)

Do all these tips apply to our LA to Sydney cruise this fall?

Wow, what an epic read. The title caught my attention because my wife and I are doing a 2 week Celebrity cruise from Vancouver to Seward and back in late May this year.

First let me say that the maturity of your writing comes as quite a surprise knowing that you were only sixteen when you did the cruise. Your photographic skills are also very good and show that you have a good eye for detail.

You are obviously a very intelligent girl and could easily make your mark in what ever profession you choose and I wish you well.

Thank you Sarah for the huge effort you have put into this review, it has helped me in a few decisions I have to make regarding our cruise in May and I am sure it has helped countless others as well.

Thank you very, very much. (: Your thoughtful post was a joy to read and it added a little happiness to my day. And thank you for taking the time to read my trip report. if it was able to help you in any shape or form, it was my pleasure. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Sarah: thank you for the most amazing review. We have just booked an Alaska cruise on the Zaandam in May. The detailed information you provided has been a great help in planning for our cruise.

It's my pleasure (: Wow, that's great! I hope you have a wonderful time, && I'm really happy that my report was useful! Thanks for reading!

Lovely Serenity:

Are you going back to Alaska in 2014?

I actually am! I'm going back to Alaska this August on the Disney Wonder. It's going to be sort of a family reunion kind of cruise in which several of my relatives from Hong Kong, as well as the local ones, are going to be cruising with us! :) I'm looking forward to it.

I actually am! I'm going back to Alaska this August on the Disney Wonder. It's going to be sort of a family reunion kind of cruise in which several of my relatives from Hong Kong, as well as the local ones, are going to be cruising with us! :) I'm looking forward to it.

I hope you have a good cruise. You might see some of the salmon run.

• 2 months later...

Hi lovely_serenity,

I just wanted to let you know that we are back from our Alaskan cruise on the Volendam and had a wonderful cruise. One of our top vacation experiences ever. Thank you so much for your wonderful review. It is nice to once again re-visit your blog now that we have also experienced Alaska on the Volendam.

Best wishes on your August cruise.

Hi lovely_serenity,

I just wanted to let you know that we are back from our Alaskan cruise on the Volendam and had a wonderful cruise. One of our top vacation experiences ever. Thank you so much for your wonderful review. It is nice to once again re-visit your blog now that we have also experienced Alaska on the Volendam.

Hi cbr663! :)

Oo, I'm so glad you had an enjoyable trip! I agree, a few of my Alaskan trips have topped my list of best cruise experiences! ^^ It was my pleasure && thank you for taking the time to read it! I am very happy that you enjoyed it!

Thank you once again!

Hi lovely_serenity,

Lovely_serenity, thank you SO much for your beautifully detailed review! It's what tipped Mom and me over to choosing the Volendam over the Zuiderdam this July.

cbr663 - we're on the Volendam to Alaska July 9th. How was she? Things you loved?

Thank you Sarah. Just finish reading this post. Love it. Your photos shot are amazing. Can't wait to see Alaska our turn this August.

My daughter is 16 and she has been cruising with us ever since when she was 4 and my son is 18 now and he is going to U this September so therefore, he won't be joining us for our next year March Break cruise. Both of my teenagers love the food on cruise, eat whenever they want and choose what they want. I am sure my daughter and you can have a very long talk regarding to cruising.

We all love cruising.

Lovely_serenity, thank you SO much for your beautifully detailed review! It's what tipped Mom and me over to choosing the Volendam over the Zuiderdam this July.

cbr663 - we're on the Volendam to Alaska July 9th. How was she? Things you loved?

The ship was wonderful. Our room steward was the best that we have ever had. Our PG experience was also the best that we have ever had on a ship. We felt that the friendliness of the PG staff made all the difference. We loved room service.

Thank you for continuing to post on your review. I like your writing style, so I'm interested in your review of Disney Wonder in Alaska. In three years we will be doing a 3 generation family reunion on Wonder. We were on Wonder in 2005 and the youngest was a baby. Some of the family is gone now, but we've added other family members.

If anyone if planning on sailing HAL at any time soon, please feel free to ask me any questions! I have also sailed a few other cruise lines, so I believe I would be able to make a few comparisons if you're having trouble picking between ships! :)

Thanks so much for your excellentreview and photos!

We are trying to decide between the VOLENDAM and the NOORDAM for our July, 2015 cruise. Both depart from Vancouver.

So, I do have some questions if you don't mind.

1. Have you sailed on the NOORDAM? I would live a comparison.

2. We will be with our 17 year old son. We have done Caribbean cruises and he loves the pool and hot tub - isn't there a retractable roof? If so are the pool and hot tub areas warm enough to use on sea days?

3. Others in shore excursions and eating what is there for a 17 year old boy to do?

Once again, thanks

The 4th photo in your post #487 is Michelle, the concierge, in the Neptune Lounge.....who does a great job...!!

The 6th photo shows the door to "our" room #7019.....:)

We are reliving our cruise with your amazing photos....

Thanks...

Hi :)

What fund you like about # 7019?

Hi sparklplenty, :)

Thank you very much for taking the time to read it! && it was my pleasure! I'm very happy to hear that I indirectly got to take part in the planning of your soon-to-be fabulous vacation! (: I'm sure you are going to love it as much as I did. Alaska in the summer is just gorgeous (well.. as long as the rain clouds stay away ^^") We had a marvelous time on it!

Things I loved? Oh wow this is going to take a while LOL. Well to start off, I'm just going to pour out everything my brain can think of:

- Afternoon teas (themed ones + regular ones) I suggest you attend every themed one and at least one regular one. They're all different!

- their sports facilities aren't bad too

- They display their dinner options in the Lido so we get a chance to see what there is to eat tonight before we even get to the dining room (we sometimes even eat some LOL)

- Hard ice cream with waffle cones with flavours that change every few hours (BEST ICE CREAM I'VE EVER HAD ON A CRUISE SHIP)

- Indonesian themed buffet that wasn't announced or promoted, we just happened upon it ^^~

- Game room with giant chess

- That we have access to the bow of the ship (unlike some other ships I've been on) on Glacier day!

That's all I can think of for now, but I'll spout some more if I think of some more! :D