"Live from" ms Volendam to Alaska! My First HAL Experience

Thank you Sarah. Just finish reading this post. Love it. Your photos shot are amazing. Can't wait to see Alaska our turn this August.

My daughter is 16 and she has been cruising with us ever since when she was 4 and my son is 18 now and he is going to U this September so therefore, he won't be joining us for our next year March Break cruise. Both of my teenagers love the food on cruise, eat whenever they want and choose what they want. I am sure my daughter and you can have a very long talk regarding to cruising.

We all love cruising.

Thank you very much, and thank you for taking the time to read my report! :)

Haha, I can relate with your children ^^, your son especially, as I am entering university in September as well! (And my parents are going to go on another cruise without me in the fall .___. sigh) && I'm sure we'd be talking for days LOL

Thank you for continuing to post on your review. I like your writing style, so I'm interested in your review of Disney Wonder in Alaska. In three years we will be doing a 3 generation family reunion on Wonder. We were on Wonder in 2005 and the youngest was a baby. Some of the family is gone now, but we've added other family members.

It was my pleasure (: & I will most definitely be posting a report for my upcoming cruise. It will be my second time on the Wonder! We will be having a family reunion on the Wonder this August as well! It will also be consisting of 3 generations of family :)

Thanks so much for your excellent review and photos!

We are trying to decide between the VOLENDAM and the NOORDAM for our July, 2015 cruise. Both depart from Vancouver.

So, I do have some questions if you don't mind.

1. Have you sailed on the NOORDAM? I would live a comparison.

2. We will be with our 17 year old son. We have done Caribbean cruises and he loves the pool and hot tub - isn't there a retractable roof? If so are the pool and hot tub areas warm enough to use on sea days?

3. Others in shore excursions and eating what is there for a 17 year old boy to do?

Once again, thanks

No problem! :) && thanks for reading!

In regards to your questions:

1.) Unfortunately, I have not been on the Noordam before ^^" sorry, I can't provide a comparison

2.) In Alaska, they leave the retractable roof pretty much closed the entire time, so the Lido poolside area is quite warm-ish. I saw several people swimming during our cruise! (I also saw some pretty brave people swimming outside on glacier day LOL). Anyways, from what I could see, several people found the temperatue comfortabel enough to swim in!

3.) My suggested activities for a 17 year old boy: Teen club, basketball & swimming are my main recommendations

If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask! I'll answer to the best of my abilities! :)

In the future we hope you made travel photo-journalism your career. You are fantastic;)

Aw, haha thank you! (: Ideally, that would be my life LOL, somehow able to pay for all the vacations I want and make travel photo journalism my profession ;) sigh, that's the dream ...

• 2 months later...
Does anyone have any questions or inquiries? I'd be happy to help! :)

Sarah, forgive my laziness in not scrolling back through every post to find the answer....very early in the review you mention that the crew wasn't as friendly as they should be and you would get to the explanation later...could you give me some examples?

Thanks in advance.

Norris

Sarah, forgive my laziness in not scrolling back through every post to find the answer....very early in the review you mention that the crew wasn't as friendly as they should be and you would get to the explanation later...could you give me some examples?

Thanks in advance.

Norris

Ahh right! It appeared to be earlier in the cruise that I noticed the somewhat somber vibe around the ship. In the stateroom hallways for example, the staff kind of looked at you like they were dead tired and in a bad mood. Many didn't greet you, and some only greeted you if you did it first. It wasn't until later in the cruise that we found the staff had bece somewhat perkier. I don't know, initially, the staff on the ship just seemed excessively groggy and unhappy. Our guess was that they had just dealt with a ship full of Noro when they were coming from Japan. That was why everyone was on a 48 hour quaratine-like "don't touch anything" system. It seemed to be mostly the stateroom attendants (besides ours) that were kind of like =_= the whole time.

Ahh right! It appeared to be earlier in the cruise that I noticed the somewhat somber vibe around the ship. In the stateroom hallways for example, the staff kind of looked at you like they were dead tired and in a bad mood. Many didn't greet you, and some only greeted you if you did it first. It wasn't until later in the cruise that we found the staff had bece somewhat perkier. I don't know, initially, the staff on the ship just seemed excessively groggy and unhappy. Our guess was that they had just dealt with a ship full of Noro when they were coming from Japan. That was why everyone was on a 48 hour quaratine-like "don't touch anything" system. It seemed to be mostly the stateroom attendants (besides ours) that were kind of like =_= the whole time.

Sarah-thanks for the clarification. It's not what I would want to see as I start my cruise and not something I have experienced yet on Princess.

Thanks again.

Norris

Hey Sarah,

Finally found someone closer to my age who has gone on Holland! I read through the first 10 or so pages of this report and I'd just like to ask, how did you entertain yourself? I might be going on a Holland cruise to Hawaii, my first cruise, which has FIVE sea days each way. From everything I've seen, Holland is geared towards seniors mostly, so I'm trying to figure out how I could keep myself entertained for that long between land. Basically just asking what activities you found worthwhile at your age and what you'd recommend onboard. (I'm 17 for reference) Thanks!

Sarah-thanks for the clarification. It's not what I would want to see as I start my cruise and not something I have experienced yet on Princess.

Thanks again.

Norris

Norris,

No problem! (: Indeed, I think it was just bad luck. Hopefully it won't happen again!

Hey Sarah,

Finally found someone closer to my age who has gone on Holland! I read through the first 10 or so pages of this report and I'd just like to ask, how did you entertain yourself? I might be going on a Holland cruise to Hawaii, my first cruise, which has FIVE sea days each way. From everything I've seen, Holland is geared towards seniors mostly, so I'm trying to figure out how I could keep myself entertained for that long between land. Basically just asking what activities you found worthwhile at your age and what you'd recommend onboard. (I'm 17 for reference) Thanks!

Hi! :)

Fro what I could see, there was actually a pretty good mix of ages (but not too many young adults or teenaged). Do you have any siblings? Or perhaps you can go to the teen club and try to find yourself some companions to occupy yourself with! Typically everything is more fun when you have someone to do them with. There was a basketball court and a tennis court, as well as shuffleboard. The were also ping pont tables. The buffet is open almost all the time and there were a few pools if you'd like to go swimming! There was also a lot of live music on board which was nice when you wanted to wind down. You could also see what movies are playing, we watched a James Bond one! Enjoy some complimentary popcorn (: Besides that, be sure to check out what's going on throughout the day according to the Daily Explorer!

I hope I was helpful! ^^

Edited by lovely_serenity

The crew on the Oosterdam last week couldn't have been warmer or friendlier. Everyone down to the room stewards, the dining room stewards, and the "rail polishers" always had a good word and a warm smile.

The crew on the Oosterdam last week couldn't have been warmer or friendlier. Everyone down to the room stewards, the dining room stewards, and the "rail polishers" always had a good word and a warm smile.

That's good to hear (: Thankfully, the staff did get more cheerful later in the cruise. There were many staff members on the upper decks that were very warm and friendly! I guess some of the staff were just having a bad day?

Hi! :)

Fro what I could see, there was actually a pretty good mix of ages (but not too many young adults or teenaged). Do you have any siblings? Or perhaps you can go to the teen club and try to find yourself some companions to occupy yourself with! Typically everything is more fun when you have someone to do them with. There was a basketball court and a tennis court, as well as shuffleboard. The were also ping pont tables. The buffet is open almost all the time and there were a few pools if you'd like to go swimming! There was also a lot of live music on board which was nice when you wanted to wind down. You could also see what movies are playing, we watched a James Bond one! Enjoy some complimentary popcorn (: Besides that, be sure to check out what's going on throughout the day according to the Daily Explorer!

I hope I was helpful! ^^

Hi!

Did you check out the teen club at all on your trip? Was anyone even there? I'd love to find some friends on the ship since I don't have siblings but I'm very doubtful since it will be during school time and it's Holland... :(

Btw, saw in your signature you're going on the Disney Wonder this month! SO SO SO SO SO jealous!!! That's what I would LOVE to go on but this is my grandmother's cruise and I'm just along for the ride. I'd love to see you post a trip report like this one for your Wonder cruise after!

Sarah - we are taking our very first cruise ( hubby, 18 y.o. son, and I) on the Volendam this month, and I have devoured every morsel of your wonderfully written review! Thanks so much for taking the time to share.

Edited by soundcruiser
Hit "enter" by mistake!

This is good to hear. It's how it should be in the service industry.

Norris

Sarah- I see from your signature that you sailed on a teensy-weensy voyage on my favorite ship, Diamond Princess, back in 2006 when you were....9 years old?

If you want a memory jogger I have a review of her in my signature below, as well as some other great Princess ships. She is, alas, no longer working in America and is based in the Far East/Australia year round. Take a look.

The reviews are long but I know that won't put you off! LOL.

Norris

Hi!

Did you check out the teen club at all on your trip? Was anyone even there? I'd love to find some friends on the ship since I don't have siblings but I'm very doubtful since it will be during school time and it's Holland... :(

Btw, saw in your signature you're going on the Disney Wonder this month! SO SO SO SO SO jealous!!! That's what I would LOVE to go on but this is my grandmother's cruise and I'm just along for the ride. I'd love to see you post a trip report like this one for your Wonder cruise after!

Hi!

I actually didn't bother with the teen club this time around because I has both of my siblings on board to entertain me ^^ but it's always worth a shot, right?

Haha I'm really looking forward to it :) I still hope you have a great time on your vacation! && I will definitely post a trip report for my upcoming cruise! (:

Sarah - we are taking our very first cruise ( hubby, 18 y.o. son, and I) on the Volendam this month, and I have devoured every morsel of your wonderfully written review! Thanks so much for taking the time to share.

Have a wonderful time on your cruise! :) & thank you for taking the time to read my trip report! && it was my please (:

P.S. Remember to come back here to tell me about how it went! :D

Sarah- I see from your signature that you sailed on a teensy-weensy voyage on my favorite ship, Diamond Princess, back in 2006 when you were....9 years old?

If you want a memory jogger I have a review of her in my signature below, as well as some other great Princess ships. She is, alas, no longer working in America and is based in the Far East/Australia year round. Take a look.

The reviews are long but I know that won't put you off! LOL.

Norris

Hi Norris!

LOL Yes, I remember that San Francisco voyage all too well (: I do however, have a somewhat foggy memory of what the ship was like! I will definitely take a look at it (right now! :D) Thanks for showing me!

LOL I don't know if I have even seen reviews as long as mine, besides Gambee's (: (I actually started making them after reading his!)

Thanks! :p

• 3 weeks later...